CUSTOM GUITAR PROJECT. WILKiNSON TREM orFloydRose - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

CUSTOM GUITAR PROJECT. WILKiNSON TREM orFloydRose

Hi, i m a tremolo fan and user off course (fluters, bendings, etc) but i like the shaspe of the Wilkinmson and the use, please tell me your thoughs about these two tremolos.

and sorry mi english, i m latino!

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Reviews: 1
If you are routing the body I reccomend the Floyd hands down.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:26 PM

i'd rather have an edge
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:24 PM

The Wilkinson stays in tune pretty well, with the use of locking tuners, and graphite nuts. I used them on my Blazer, and my Yamaha Ty Tabor model. Pretty stable, even after divebombs, but not nearly as well as a Floyd. If I would have held onto them longer, I would have had Floyds installed.

If you're a heavy trem user, I would definetly recommend going for the Floyd. If you only use it on occasion, and don't do so many dives, then maybe the Wilk would be alright. You're not going to be able to do very big pullups, with the Wilk, though. Your not going to get as much flutter, either. It is a huge improvement over the Fender trem, though. Just make sure you get Sperzels, and a graphite nut, or the whole deal is off.

Im MY eyes, locking trems win everytime. Sure, you make a trade off(easier setups/string changes, for tuning stabilty), but I think the extra effort put into a locking trem is worth it. Besides, once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal anyway.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:03 AM

I love the wilkinson trems, all of them are pretty damn good. Which one are you going for? The VS100 is the "normal" most renowned one but they have many other nice tremolos.

I personally like the LSR roller nut and LSR tuners (or those planet waves ones which cut the string automatically) if you don't match the tremolo with a good nut and tuners you will have tuning hassles. With a roller nut you don't need to shape the nut just occasionally clean the rollers using a tooth brush (old, prefferably ) Wilkinson also had a roller nut out a while back, I think they have been discontinued though, those were ment to sound better than the LSR but have the problem or more precise setting up. You can only go about 9 gauge strings on a wilkinson nut without tuning hassles so if you use 10s or higher a wilkinson nut is out of the question. Dan Erlewine's book has a great section on Wilkinson roller nuts, if you ever get a chance read it!

Tags
dan erlewine , gauge strings , graphite nut , locking trems , locking tuners , planet waves , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode