Custom Ibanez 7 - Fredrik Thordendal of Meshuggah - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Custom Ibanez 7 - Fredrik Thordendal of Meshuggah

So, I saw this TV programme with Morgan Ågren (if you don't know who that is, he's probably the most inhuman drummer in the world...he and his childhood friend Mats Öberg (of the crazy band Mats/Morgan) played with Zappa in their teens, and Zappa once said "These guys play unbelievable...just unbelievable.") with special guest and friend Fredrik Thordendal, the guitar-God of Meshuggah and Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects (on whose album, Sol Niger Within, Morgan plays). As you might know, Thordendal is an Ibanez endorsee, and he played a new custom model 7 string. It was powder grey with only the bridge pickup (if I know him correctly, it's probably a waxed DiMarzio Blaze II) and no fret inlays apart from two 3's, one above the other, on the 12th fret. It looked kinda clean and nice. I'll try to find some pictures later on.

Oh, also, you Meshuggah fans (if there are any?)...Tomas Haake, Meshuggah's drummer, said that there will be 8-string guitars on the new album. Now, it would be interesting to know if they are Ibanez guitars, as all stringbenders are Ibanez endorsees (the bassist, Gustaf Hielm, recently quit though -- but you'll be able to see him play with Meshuggah this month when they're opener for TOOL in the mid-west). Probably not though. I wonder what Ibanez will say about that...that they're using custom (or maybe Conklin?) guitars. Oh well, we'll see.

Oh, forgot to add; the 8th string is a low G string, not a high one as the "standard" Conklins are.

(Edited by Tsorovan at 10:50 am on Sep. 3, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:09 AM

Custom Ibanez 7

I remember listening to meshuggah and thinking "what the f**k?". It just did very strange things to my mind. And then realised it was very cool.

The other good thing about meshuggah is that if your CD player skips chronically, you can just put on meshuggah and you won't notice

great band though! 8 strings? that's quite a lot isn't it...Don't know if they'll be ibanez, would be interesting though....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:46 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

I'll have to give Meshuggah a second listen. *I listened to their CD once and couldn't get past the first 3 seconds of any song. *
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:07 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

That does sound pretty interesting regarding the 8-stringer. *I'm a big Meshuggah fan and would love to see them live. *They are one of the most technical bands I know of, but are hard for people to get into since their music is so heavy and aggressive. *Actually, I think it has to do with the singing....

But Meshuggah is technical without trying to be. *I remember reading an interview where they say they just play what they think sounds cool - simple enough and it works. *Tomas Haake is one of my favorite drummers on the planet and does amazing things in a polyrythmic environment which makes their grooves heavier than most speed metal you'll hear, I think. *I recommend their EP "None" and the full length album "Destroy Erase Improve" for the most intense of experiences.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:57 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

I absolutely love Meshuggah.

I hope they play with Tool here, I think I'd sp00ge at the concert!

As for the "too heavy vocals" comment. Bah. A big fat BAH at that. I get so sick of the "I can't understand what he's saying, I hate the singer, heavy vocals suck, this band sucks" people. It really gets old. People put entirely too much glory on vocals and vocalists.. It's nothing more then another instrument in the band and I treat it as such. A really heavy singer is no different then a really heavy agressive guitarist.

Too many close minded people in this world. :angryfire:

Sorry, hit a nerve, I needed to vent.

(btw, not directed at you Paul, you just stirred it up in me )
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:17 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

Meshuggah is one of the most brutal bands I've ever heard. I saw them live at KB in Malmö some years ago. Great show.

As for the "too heavy vocals" discusion, my point of view is that if you can't hear what someone is singing, why bother having vocals? Why not simply write the words in the cd inlay? The difference between a heavy guitarist and a singer, is that singing is not merely a matter of pitch, attac and vibrato, but also words and pronounciation. That goes for opera singers as well.

Well, well, to each his own?

A final, friendly question to Tsorovan: just what do you mean by Ultima Thule?! The meaning of it, or the band?

Peace!

Micke
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:51 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

James (7 Dying Trees) introduced me to Meshuggah last week.

Wow, I thought Metallica and Dream Theater had some complex rhythms and timings...

I wondered whether the band recorded the same songs at the same time!!
Perhaps tracks got wrongly labelled?
There certainly seemed to be some rather interesting tunes!

will have to borrow that CD from James some time...

:loco:
Simon
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:32 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

Quote:
Quote: from Mikael Jurman on 4:17 pm on Sep. 3, 2001
Meshuggah is one of the most brutal bands I've ever heard. I saw them live at KB in Malmö some years ago. Great show.

As for the "too heavy vocals" discusion, my point of view is that if you can't hear what someone is singing, why bother having vocals? Why not simply write the words in the cd inlay? The difference between a heavy guitarist and a singer, is that singing is not merely a matter of pitch, attac and vibrato, but also words and pronounciation. That goes for opera singers as well.

Well, well, to each his own?

A final, friendly question to Tsorovan: just what do you mean by Ultima Thule?! The meaning of it, or the band?

Peace!

Micke
Well like I said, too much importance is placed on what's being said. If you just approach it as another instrument, as it should be imo, what's being said is irrelevant, it's how it's being said in the context of the music that matters.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:55 AM

Custom Ibanez 7

If you're looking for technical metal, Meshuggah is definately it! *For those who love the Allan Holdsworth style, you LOVE Fredrik's leads! *For first time listeners, I highly recommend "Destroy Erase Improve" to break you in!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Custom Ibanez 7

Mikael Jurman: the meaning of course. God forbid anyone would think anything else! :D

As for the talk about the vocals. I fully understand you if you don't like Jens Kidman's vocals. I didn't at the beginning. But later on I realised that nothing else would fit the music. It's perfect IMO. Sheer perfection. :) Oh, and also, I can hear every word he utters. Anyway, I listen to a lot of music with ****ty vocals; I have this vocal filter which kicks in really easy if the music is awesome enough :)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:48 AM

Custom Ibanez 7

A freind once tapped it right on the head when he explained to his mum how to appreciate blac/death/screamy vocals. He basically said it was like another instrument, simply there to add flavour to a track. Sort of like taking a guitar and distorting the output. And there are some singers out there who just use there voice to just create way cool effects as well, and do mix vocal styles. I used to hate it, and then saw it as an instrument...

As for meshuggah, I saw them live at dynamo, and fearing the worst (festivals, muddy sound etc) was amazed at how tight they were! And punchy and clear!

And simon, yep, you can borrow that CD anytime, it's very cool, although It's one of those albums that takes effort to listen to all the way through (it definetly screws with your mind!)

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of his custom 7string, or of the 8strings they are using!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:39 AM

Custom Ibanez 7

They are opening for TOOL *in a couple of weeks up-here in Montréal. I missed them when they opened for Slayer in Toronto two years ago.

I would love to see the, but the tickets are like 50$ and the venue is kind of ****ty (Centre Molson)...well see.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:13 AM

Custom Ibanez 7

Yes they are opening for Tool on many dates. Thought the spots don’t say anything about it, my production manager told me that they are on tour with Tool…. Good news.

Jeffrey, I’m working on getting us all hooked up for the show at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:58 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love you man. :biggrin:

So tell me, where do you want to go for your big steak dinner?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:50 PM

Custom Ibanez 7

Do you know if theyre playing in So Cal anywhere..... I would love to see them (and tool isn't too bad either) *btw.. doesn't Meshuggah have a new album out.. or soon to be out?
-Bradius

Tags
allan holdsworth , bridge pickup , dimarzio blaze , fredrik thordendal , fret inlay , ibanez guitars , low strings , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode