Custom Ibanez RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Custom Ibanez RG

Hey all, I am wondering what model of RG I should buy?

I want to go on Evilbay and buy a beaten up Rg for 350-400 dollars. I was thinking of swirling it and adding some inlay decals on it!

I've also seen GIO's for 100-200, are they any good?

Just want a guitar I can mess around with so I don't need to bring my Jem around to my friends houses.

Thanks,

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Custom Ibanez RG

You want us, completely strangers, to tell you what guitar you should buy?!
Terrible decision.
Do you really think a 100 dollars guitar could be good in any thing?
No.
Go to a store and try some.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 PM

I beg to differ one of my best playing guitars cost me $79 its a Gio has an awesome neck, and plays like butter.

People here are to quick to say its junk if it doesnt cost $2000 I have played plenty of jems and prestiges that werent that hot.

More $$$ doesnt mean better player.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM

RG120 is a fun little guitar. its a hassle to tune but once it gets to the tuning it usually holds for a loooooong time. its only 200 and i enjoy it :3

but yeah what 6fingers said, try some out at a guitar shop/music store edit: ibanezcollector that looks sick!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
I beg to differ one of my best playing guitars cost me $79 its a Gio has an awesome neck, and plays like butter.
People here are to quick to say its junk if it doesnt cost $2000 I have played plenty of jems and prestiges that werent that hot.

More $$$ doesnt mean better player.
More money means better guitar for sure.
Not 2000 but not only 100 too.
I don't know who told you more $$$ means better player cause it wasn't me.
A good player is good with any guitar but nobody likes to play a crap instrument.
Expecially when you're a beginner and need an instrument with perfect set up to teach your ears the right notes and that's why there are thousands of players on youtube with crap tones, guitars out of tune and when they bend a note, it sounds completely out of tune.
If you think a Gio could be hotter(about how it feels and not about looking) at any level than a prestige obviously your ears and fingers don't need quality or can't notice how big their differences are.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Developer

6fingers... I want you guys to help me decide whats the best bang for the buck.
And Ibanezcollector, thats exactly what I was thinking of doing to an rg! I love the inlay!
Also thanks ghostY I may look into one!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Verus go to a store and play all you like.
Nobody can choose for you.
The best bang for the buck is the one you like, no matter its price
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Haha thanks man, but I'm not really picky when it comes to guitars, I've played many RG's I just would like to know if there are any cheap ones that have a good reputation. I am looking for used ones, maybe i can find a beater I can transform into a beauty!

Thanks for all the help!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 AM

ive got a 1999 rg450dx, which ive had from brand new, and its got a wizard 2 neck, lo-trs trem, and infinity pickups, and its still my main guitar - its what im used to, its what i essentially learned to play on, and its what ive played and gigged with for almost 15years! its not a prestige, or a j custom, or a jem, or even a premium - it is to all intents and purposes the same as the current rg350s (which come in all kinds of eye popping colours!). ive also heard several good reviews on here abt the 350s bang for buck!!

now dont get me wrong, the neck is thicker than the wizard, the trem doesnt even begin to compare to the edge, and the pickups are a bit flat sounding compared to the ibz/dimarzio ones ive got, and even the v7/v8 ones too, but that doesnt stop it being a pretty decent guitar, and it kinds feels like home in some ways.

i would say if u can find something in the 3xx-4xx series for not a lot of money, then get it, if you dont like it, you can always sell it on again for pretty much the same as you paid for it! and if you do - BONUS!

rich
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 69

If you are patient, you can find an RG550 for cheap. I snagged one on this forum a few weeks ago for around $225, and that was with shipping and 2 Dimarzios!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severinsteelsmith View Post
If you are patient, you can find an RG550 for cheap. I snagged one on this forum a few weeks ago for around $225, and that was with shipping and 2 Dimarzios!
I just got an RG750 for $300........these classifieds are GREAT!!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Reviews: 1

I would go with something in the 3XX or 4XX series if you are going to mod it. I say this because you can find them cheap, and if you **** up oh well, if you **** up a 5xx or 7xx you will be pissed haha I did it with a 98 rg320 that I got for $75 bucks. the neck feels great, the fret work is good and after putting some dimarzios in it the thing sounds amazing lol
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 PM

heres one of my fave gio builds I found gio to homemade pgm

http://racerx.edutom.co.uk/board/vie...p?f=13&t=21030
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Reviews: 1

I own 27 guitar currently, 60% of them are Ibanez.
for around 350.00 you can get a new RG350, I just bought a MYE (maple Yellow) to strip for the hardware for a custome build, it was a 2011 and its all different and non of it would work like I hoped, so I started playing it, its Fricken awesome, from the trem that stays in tune well, a locking bar so it dont drop down, color matched head stock.
There just a great deal, and you get alot of quality for the money.
As 6fingers suggested go in a play a few and see what you like, it not about price, its about feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode