Custom Idea... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Custom Idea...

Hello. You guys probably don't know me because I haven't posted very much, I'm more of an observer heh but I would appreciate it if I could get some input on this. I've been thinking of getting a custom 7.. I've got a 2027 at the moment and I love it to death. I wish the neck was a little thicker though heh I tried a PRS once and DAMN that was a nice neck profile. So anyway, I've been thinking of getting a custom 7 built by Warmoth or Conklin. I haven't robbed a bank yet so Conklin is out of the question for now.. but the Warmoth seems tempting and the price is right! I was going for a mahogany body with a fixed bridhe. HH config.. not sure what pickups yet, but prereably not a tonezone 7 and paf 7 which I have on my 2027. I'm looking for somethig different. I'm looking at a full scalloped 24 fret neck as well, with minimal hardware and electronics, maybe just 1 volume and 1 tone pot. PRS type body would be nice heh. Anyone got an opinion on warmoth customs? Or should I sell my soul for a conklin one day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:23 AM

warmoth makes good stuff IMHO.

they won't as I know of, build your whole guitar for you, but pretty dang close.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:08 PM

Conklin is the only company I can think of that will build your custom exactly the way you want. I recently found this site, www.timtone.com looks like they do good work. I don't know anything about them though. Check out the custom 7 strings they built, pretty sweet looking stuff. Hope that helps
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey guitarkatana that was an interesting site! I saw the prices though. Good lord they almost make the Conklins look cheap heh. I heard good things about the Conklin from Santiago Dobles (Aghora guitarist) I really like his lead tone on the debut album Immortal Bliss. I can't wait for the next release so I can see hear his Conklin!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 09:26 AM

OOOOhhhh those melted tops and melted fretboards

You'll need to knock over a bank on the way to ordering anything from those guys though, Timtone as well. The odd body shapes of the Timtone guitars don't really appeal to me all that much. But they are purdy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:42 AM

Yeah, i'd love to pick up a 7 with a fanned fretboard from conklin, but seeing as it'd be so damned different from my own 2027, that i can't justify spending like 2-3 grand on something i don't even know if i'm gonna like, and i've only physically seen TWO guiars with "multi-scale necks" in my life; the first when i saw Charlie Hunter in concert two years ago(played at the art museum i'm now employed by tpo an autitorium full of VERY senior citizens who probably had no idea what hit them- it was awesome. ), and the second when i saw John Mayer last year (the dude's actually a sick guitarist; i just went to the show for the hell of it, and was promptly blown away. turns out the guy studied jazz at berkley- somehting no one bothered to tell me before the show. Figures. But i degress...)

anywya, those weren't exactly two situations where i could have gone up and said, "hey, mind if i give that thing a try?"

You know, i probably could have, actually. Maybe not hunter (not like i could have actually played the thing, lol) but mayer was pretty small back then. Damn, should have.

-Drew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:41 PM

The conklin melted tops do look very cool. Not sure I'd go for it, but cool none the less.

You could check out Norton for custom work. I don't know what their custom prices are but it sounds like they do some cool work as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 03:20 PM

Lol, adding insult to injury; just found out that the dude's now dating Jennifer Love Hewett. How sweet would that be... "Hey John, what's up, man? Remember me, I'm the dude who played your guitar in Northampton. Hey, who's the lady? How 'bout an introduction?"

Ah well.

-Drew
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Banned

Hey Drew.....The Novak mutli scale necks are pretty insane. I actually owned one of Charlie Hunters guitars for a short while. It was the purpleheart 8 sting he used on a few albums. It was a pretty cool instrument and the craftsmanship was amazing. The bass side was fretless which was neat. It was a lot harder to play than I thought it was going to be. Also, there was a lot of cross talk between the bass and guitar pickups. Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenstringer
I actually owned one of Charlie Hunters guitars for a short while... It was a lot harder to play than I thought it was going to be.
Heh... i have a theory that Charlie Hunter actually has two brains. One for each hand. That's the only way i can imagine playing the way he does.

Tags
body shape , charlie hunter , fanned fret , fret neck , john mayer , mahogany body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode