Custom Idea in the works soon... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Custom Idea in the works soon...

Recently acquired an Ibanez La Custom shop 7 string neck (Dino spare) and have asked Eddie to build me something to put it on. Here's what it's gonna be:

Iby JPM 7 layout
2 way toggle, push pull coil tap Vol pot that will tap either pup
TZ 7, AN 7
2 piece mahogany with 4A quilt top (not a veneer)
Jem style Jack
All black hardware coming from my 7620

Originally wanted a medium brown first coat stain, sanded back a little, then a rich amber on top....but I'm waffling a little on that. Not really sure what color I want...maybe just au natural...but I really want the quilt to pop out at you.

Any suggestions???

The neck should be here sometime later this week or next week and as soon as Eddie gets my quote done, we're off to the races...I am stoked. I love maple mahogany together and haven't had that combo since I sold my USA Custom Exotic wood years ago. Once that is done, then what is left of the 7620 will go out for some cosmetic enhancements (ATD swirl and an inlay job).

Seriously though, the finish thing is killing me, I need some inspiration...I don't want to just pick something and then wish I had done something else...help a brotha out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 12:12 PM

Herc Fede's transparent swirl maybe? Or a nice lightblue color...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:03 PM

Yeah... How bout a R-series or S-series influenced body shape? Or even a RG with just significantly more rounded contours? I think a gorgeous quilt finish just begs for something less pointy than the stock RG body to really attain it's full grace. And while the rounded contours would be a little tricky with the top, if you made it approximately half the thickness of the body, it'd work. This may or may not be too bright, but if you went with some fairly dark pickups, you might be ok...

finsih... Hmm. I don't know about the amber with black hardware. Maybe a light blue? or a vivid red? Course, you could just dissasemble the bridge and file off the finish, but that'd take a LONG time to do cleanly...

I'll keep thinking.

-Drew
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cal
Herc Fede's transparent swirl maybe? Or a nice lightblue color...
Ugh. that finish scares me. Although, maybe if you tried it with varying shades of, say, blue... i'd never do it personally, but i've never been big on swirls, so...

-Drew
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Although pretty cool looking, I would hate to attempt to upstage a 4A quilt with a transparent swirl finish.

Blue as a stain color has entered the equation, possibly something akin to a 3120 with a natural color around the edges. I would probably go with a softer hue for the final coat and a darker blue or even black for the first pass to make that quilt look 10ft deep.

As for the rounded contours, the RG shape is really the only one that appeals to me at all. I like the pointiness of it. JS shapes or S shapes don't do anything for me, personally.

The more I think about it, the better I like the idea of a darker stain, a blue, charcoal, or rich brown color similar to my 2027.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 02:38 PM

Can he do a mild burst? I have become quite attached to the vintage violin finish.
Greg
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

You nailed it greg...I have been going to all the highend guitar site, Thomas McNaught, Timtone, Tom Anderson, PRS...looking at finishes. When you get right down to it, I want something very woody and natural looking and I love my 2027's finish. I think that finish on a quilted top would be unreal. Ok, now I'm really stoked. What a perfect pair they will make.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:39 PM

Oh man... A deep blue on the edges, fading to a rich, medium-ish blue center? I think i'm in love. Maybe even slightly purplish tinges at the edges. And scraped binding right at the edge (or abalone???) Oh man... that would look SWEET next to a 2027.

Dark's cool, but remember the 520QS- you gotta keep it light enough so you can actually SEE the quilt.

I liek this idea.

-Drew
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 PM

hey, whatver uou do, i wanna see pics.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep you posted as the project unfolds. I've got some time to decide on the final finish, but right now it is a toss up between a rich ocean blue or a vintage violin .... both mild bursts with "natural" binding. It's going to take a long time to finish I'm sure, as busy as Eddie is and finish work has to cure for like a month or something like that before you can really begin to polish it out.

Again thanks for the suggestions, pics will surely get posted and I hope that Eddie can show some "in process" pics as well.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:40 PM

I think "Tiger Eye" is my favourite finish on a quilted maple top. Here are some fine Anderson examples and a sweet PRS.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:52 PM
EKG

That PRS private stock number 13 is unreal!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
That PRS private stock number 13 is unreal!
It sure is!

What an amazing piece of quilted maple on that top... i've rarely seen such complex figuring as that. And that finish just makes me drool. Every time i look at that pic, it makes me want to save up for a PRS hollowbody with their piezo system.

Yum!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

That's it...PRS private stock #13 is the goal. I think that's the most beautiful finish I have ever seen. And that quilt, that settles it, color me gone.

Eddie, please tell me it can be done and that it won't cost me my life's savings to get it??? There's something to be said for having your name attached to a guitar so beautiful (wink wink, nudge nudge....you just don't want your name associated with my ham fisted playing )

The only thing I wonder is if the neck binding is going to contrast the finish too much...minor detail I know but the binding on this neck is pretty thick. Eddie, I sent you photos of the neck, what do you think???
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Got the neck today, unfortunately there was a little shipping damage but that's what insurance is for. I can tell that the neck has the trademark Custom Shop bubinga going all the way through the headstock, but that paint is on THICK. And the headstock is gray, not black like most other Ibanez necks. I didn't want to have to repaint that and lose the logo. Any ideas on how I can keep in on there and refin that area around it?

HOw about removing thick clearcoat that is on top of white binding?

Tags
atd swirl , body shape , coil tap , custom exotic wood , custom shop , herc fede , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , neck binding , piezo system , pull coil , pull coil tap , quilted maple , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode