Custom Jackson price check - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Custom Jackson price check

I just got an email on a custom jackson i was inquiring about. Its a soloist with Red Snakeskin, a maple neck, mahogany body and a single EMG....$4500!!!!!

Other than the 9volt battery cavity and black neck binding and inlays...it looks to be a pretty basic custom job. Am i missing something here? Im seeing custom jobs with incredible graphic paint jobs with more specs going for $1000-$1200 less.

Is mahogany more than alder? Is maple more than ebony? Black binding/inlays more than white? Seeing that i find mahogany and maple on some of the cheaper jackson models...i dont think so.

I know it custom. But that specs aint that much different than a USA Select! Matter a fact, minus the paint job..i think the select Soloists have better wood materials. Both Handcrafted

$3000-$3500 would have been more reasonable i think for a custom like this. $4500 is more like theft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 AM

Re: Custom Jackson price check

yea that's how much custom jackson's can run. which is why if you have a custom jackson, or any guitar made, you're best to keep it forever, or make sure it's something really cool so it has re-sale value at the price point you paid for it. craftsmanship on a custom jackson will be better than that of a regular usa select, but that's not saying much considering how well made usa select's are.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 AM

Stories like this are exactly why I get all my custom guitars done by private, local luthiers (well...one by warmoth): "I called company X or Y and they said that changing some pickups and binding around makes the guitar cost double what it would otherwise". For me, $4500 covers all 4 of my guitars with enough left over for a nice combo amp.

Yes, woods are priced differently and inlay work and all that stuff, but I absolutely agree with your judgement of 4500 as theft. Other people in this thread will likely say a bunch of things to justify the price tag, but I'm just comparing in my head to what I know I could get for that money (and additionally, what anyone else with a credit card and internet access to browse custom shops websites can get). For my taste, i'm agreeing with ya and saying that 4500 is indeed rape.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Vendor

.....a local luthier..... that has a full time job and only builds for pocket change. Doesn't have to pay for commercial space, heat it, power it, pay employees wages, workmans comp, benefits, advertising, and the rest of the very long list of business expenses, not to mention the brand name is just worth twice as much as his no name no reputation, minimum. Yet people compare a company built custom guitar to a private one like it's a fair comparison in price.

And people whine about Ibanez opening a custom shop, when the price structure would be nearly identical.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
.....a local luthier..... that has a full time job and only builds for pocket change. Doesn't have to pay for commercial space, heat it, power it, pay employees wages, workmans comp, benefits, advertising, and the rest of the very long list of business expenses, not to mention the brand name is just worth twice as much as his no name no reputation, minimum. Yet people compare a company built custom guitar to a private one like it's a fair comparison in price.

And people whine about Ibanez opening a custom shop, when the price structure would be nearly identical.
I totally understand what you're saying, and for the most part I agree. And I'm not gonna start a long debate about this here. The bottom line of what I was saying isnt that the $4500 can't be justified by the company in terms of employee wages, advertising, and all those other business expenses - I understand that this is how business works. It's rather that I, for my money, would rather spend 1/4 of that and still get the exact guitar and exact quality I want in every way (plus a personal touch you don't get from most companies, and in my case tons of other things on the guitar that "brand companies" won't offer). And the whole "brand name worth twice as much as the no-name local guy" thing, well...this is again just my personal case but when I get custom guitars built I don't care about the name on the headstock, because I don't plan to resell it. I care about the quality, the options, and the service.

Again, not trying to start an argument or a long discussion here. Just my opinion .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:42 AM

thats about right Rich. although at least in my case I do not have a fulltime job, well, other than building guitars anyway
I had yesterday a guy come to me and complain of exactly the same thing..
he specced his custom jackson RR1T on the jackson website and its was 3000 - needless to say I was a lot cheaper but as I pointed out to him... from me, its not a jackson.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:44 AM

having said that, its not a jackson from jackson either - its a fender...
Grover isnt allowed to write his name on anything but cheques nowadays
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 AM

I think it's way cooler to not have "the name." Don't get me wrong I love slinging around my Ibanez RG. Bit to have that sleeper like effect on people when they can't quite place what guitar your playing and then bam, it blows their mind.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I think it's way cooler to not have "the name." Don't get me wrong I love slinging around my Ibanez RG. Bit to have that sleeper like effect on people when they can't quite place what guitar your playing and then bam, it blows their mind.
I'm with ya kotor. I gotta admit I quite enjoy it when they read the headstock inlay/logo and ask what company that is and I get to tell 'em it's my nickname, lol.

There are tons of great guitars that I've owned and enjoyed over the years, but in the end having something entirely your own is for me an unmatchable experience.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I'm with ya kotor. I gotta admit I quite enjoy it when they read the headstock inlay/logo and ask what company that is and I get to tell 'em it's my nickname, lol.

There are tons of great guitars that I've owned and enjoyed over the years, but in the end having something entirely your own is for me an unmatchable experience.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to have a guitar that I built the body for. It was like a soloist. I had a neck already but I sanded off the paint and all. It had no name and I got a bunch of people asking me "what is that?" It sounded so decent and no one had one like it. I miss that guitar, it was stolen.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to have a guitar that I built the body for. It was like a soloist. I had a neck already but I sanded off the paint and all. It had no name and I got a bunch of people asking me "what is that?" It sounded so decent and no one had one like it. I miss that guitar, it was stolen.
Wow man, sorry to hear that (about it being stolen). I'm not religious but I believe in a certain place in hell for instrument thieves. Little do the thieves know that no-name custom guitars like ours have really poor resale value =P.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Wow man, sorry to hear that (about it being stolen). I'm not religious but I believe in a certain place in hell for instrument thieves. Little do the thieves know that no-name custom guitars like ours have really poor resale value =P.
If you wanna know the truth man, the original guitar was an Epiphone attempt at making a superstrat. The guitar was crap but I liked the neck, bear in mind I was this was when I was 16-18 years old. The guitar was old so I got some mahogany from stewmac and made a custom body for it. I put Gibson PUPs in it and it was cool. It was probably as good as a mid level brand name guitar. Anways, the dude who stole it was an idiot, because of what it came from, it wasn't worth $300 buck.

Anyways, I did however get $700 insurance money for it because it was stolen from a Chruch. And with it I got a G&L Leagacy in butterscotch blonde transparent with a all maple neck and fretboard (gun oil vintage tint) and a black pickgaurd. It was a killer guitar so it sucks but I still laughed last.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
having said that, its not a jackson from jackson either - its a fender...
Grover isnt allowed to write his name on anything but cheques nowadays
Grove is irrelevant; Mike Shannon is the one that matters and he is still running the show.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM

The way companies like this control their demand is by increasing the price, when you do this kind of work, you don't want to turn down potential clients, it is better to use a high price to dissuade the less serious ones. Just the nature of this kind of work, Jackson obviously gets higher demand than a local luthier, so they raise their prices higher.

ESP jacks their prices even higher for custom work because they want to keep a faster turnaround going. They have gotten a few endorsements solely for that reason.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Smile Re: Custom Jackson price check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Very well put.

Tags
jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode