Custom Kramer/Ibanez Hybrid Axe - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Custom Kramer/Ibanez Hybrid Axe

**EDIT: Quick photoshoop of what this beast will look like (hopefully I won't fork up the headstock painting like I did in the GIMP xD)

**EDIT 2: DONE! But I have to shim nut, drill deeper neck mounting holes, re-align nut slightly, fix electronics since only the bridge pup works, and maybe a few other things as they arise.

**END EDIT.

I've taken it upon myself to build a cheese-ridden heavy metal 80s axe that combines what I perceive as the best of the two main shred guitar companies of the 80s - Kramer and Ibanez.

This thing is essentially going to be a RFR RG550 with a few changes. First off, the pickup configuration is HSS, and I'm not entirely sure if I'll have a middle pickup at all or if there will be a full pickguard. Secondly, the Floyd is gonna be flush-mounted ala EVH so that tuning isn't an absolute pain in the ass. And, perhaps most importantly, the headstock will be a Kramer-style banana one.

I'm painting it the closest to RFR I can find since it's obscenely 80s but could still pass in other environments. I'm going to try to stick some reflectors on the back as well, and maybe put some glow-in-the-dark paint on there somewhere.

As of now I've ordered the body and I'm waiting to get in contact with someone for the neck. Things I need to deliberate/need input on:

-Round off the body edges? Kramer style bodies are more Strat like as opposed to the square edged RG bodies.
-Pickguard? I'm strongly considering putting a pickguard over just the controls and leaving the pickup area exposed. I'd cut wood to put in the routes though so it doesn't look like crap.
-Headstock decal? Without one the guitar will look rather bizarre... but what should I put on there?

Pics as things come.

Last edited by Mo Jiggity; 05-21-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Custom Kramer/Ibanez Hybrid Axe

I rounded off the body edges on the custom my Dad and I made, looks pretty slick.

Headstock decal? Krabanez maybe? get that custom made!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Status update:

I've decided that I'm gonna have a humbucker in the bridge and a stacked humbucker in a single coil space in the neck. Both will be GFS since they're cheap and excellent - probably a Crunchy PAF and a Lil Killer respectively.

I'll have a 3 way strat style switch to control pickups, plus two sliding 3-way Switchcraft switches to have series/parallel/coil tap options for each pickup individually. I still have no idea as to whether I'll even have a tone pot.

Pickguard and hardware will be black since that looks best with virtually any color at all except for gold and stuff like that. I would like to go with red still, but I'm afraid that the appearance will restrict it.

I'm also thinking about just taking a Sharpie to the headstock before clearcoating for brand, or stenciling and painting. Rather than going with Kramer or Ibanez I might go with some model name I make up myself. Ideas so far:

Pegasus
Delta
Express
Mercury

... and maybe append Custom to any one of those names xD.

So basically I still need to figure out color. I would also LOVE to somehow incorporate glow in the dark paint, but I want it to be subtle since it's colored an off white - binding around the headstock, perhaps?

Suggestions welcome.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Instead of Kramer I suggest you brand it 'Costanza.'
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ordered bridge and tuners today.

Question for people who have done this before - if the body is an RG but with a non-recessed Floyd route, will I have trouble getting the action low enough since the bridge will sit higher?

Pickguard is also being taken care of now... Slowly but surely this project is coming together. Per the neck luthier's advice (Jon Harper - heard bad things about him on this forum from a thread 6 years old but he's been EXCELLENT to me so far and every other case I've heard of... very unfortunate!) I am going to use Minwax satin poly for the neck back and fingerboard.

I'm still leaning towards red for color, but I still need help with the name. Come on people!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM

photoshop/the gimp are your best friends for stuff like this
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
photoshop/the gimp are your best friends for stuff like this
Done.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Instead of Kramer I suggest you brand it 'Costanza.'
Or Soda? Get it before someone else does... it's a great name.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 AM

I think it would look better if you used the pointier Kramer headstock as opposed to the hockey stick one.That was always my favourite 80's headstock
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 AM

will the headstock be that big in real life?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
will the headstock be that big in real life?
Doubtful... I didn't even scale the headstock when I put it on there, it was a crap job. That aside even if it is I can always just reshape it with some sandpaper.

Anybody know what works best for clearcoating?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 AM

In that case, I reckon its going to look awesome!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In that case, I reckon its going to look awesome!
Ha, Drow Swordsman said "That headstock ruins the guitar" (or something to that effect). Apparently this headstock is polarizing - it's either awesome or crappy. I can only hope it grows on everyone.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Body came today, and I already have all the hardware save for a few things here and there that are coming shortly.

I'm extremely happy with the body given that it was $76 shipped, but the posts for the trem are a tad too wide, so you can just drop the posts in but they come out quite easily. I plan to epoxy them in. Although I don't have the neck yet, the neck pocket is just a hair under 2 1/4" so I'm good on that count. I can't wait for this beast to be done...

Soon as I find a camera I can start showing this bizznatch off xD
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Whoa I wouldn't epoxy them in. Besides being ridiculously difficult to get out, the epoxy will probably be a bit soft, and will likely handicap your sustain. Just my opinion though.

Tags
bridge pup , coil tap , edge trem , guitar body , heavy metal , strat style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode