Custom paint..will it impact tone - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Custom paint..will it impact tone

I just got a great deal on a 2008 Ibanez S Prestige S2170FW. The natural finish is "unique" however, i have an opportunity for a skilled artist to airbrush a custom paint job. I know nothing about painting a guitar and its tone change...any comments or suggestions

apologies this should have been posted under modifications

Last edited by psp777; 01-23-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: wrong area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 AM

Re: Custom paint..will it impact tone

I will say yes. Although my limited experience is with only one guitar. Since it's very hard to A/B-test you must do what you want to. For me, I think the finish alters the tone. How much and in which way, I can't answer.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 AM

hmmm -

Last edited by teokiatuan; 09-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 AM

Reviews: 25

It wont be that noticable....
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
You're trying to say it is noticable?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
You're trying to say it is noticable?
yeah no I was trying to say it wont be Noticeable hehehehe
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 AM

OK. So there is a difference, but you can't notice it. Cool!

To give logic a try:
- A soft finish will absorb vibrations and kill some "tone".
- A soft finish will vibrate more easily than a hard finish, adding some "tone".

I bet I'm right on one of them...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 AM

well, i say if it looks cool. go for it
and i highly doubt it would affect your tone
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM

There are countless pages in the forums devoted to discussing this topic. The logic behind the "thin skin" nitro finish on new Fenders is to let the wood breathe (tonally) and minimize the effect of paint on the sound. On the other side are many folks who say that's crap and the finish has minimal effect to begin with -- or else, it may have some effect, but it's merely different, not necessarily bad. The same can be said about bridge saddles, nut material, string coatings, a few extra windings on the pickups, 250K vs 500K pots, relative humidity ... (list goes on forever...)

I've repainted, or had repainted, many guitars and have yet to detect any significant tonal degradation. But, of course, it's very, very hard to tell the difference without being able to A/B the guitars before/after. I'd say make your guitar look just how you want it -- you'll be more inspired and it will reflect more of who you are once you're done. That's what Joe did with Black Dog and the various other guitars he personally decorated -- he didn't seem overly concerned with wrecking the intrinsic tone of the instrument.

Cheers,
Bert

Edit: Just for clarification, my overall philosophy on this kind of thing is that it's fun to personalize your instruments. If you get too obsessed with nuances and the ever present possibility that each little thing might affect your tone, you become stricken with paranoid inertia and the fun goes away.

Last edited by stratoskier; 01-23-2009 at 09:07 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Ask Rich, he'll tell you, graphic finished ones sound better

Some artists, probably most notably in our sphere, Nuno Bettencourt, prefer a natural finish, but most other folks, Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Lynch etc all have painted guitars. Hell even EJ's signature model has paint on it so it can't be that bad for the sound of the guitar

Having said that, even air density has some effect on the tone, so paint will have too. The only thing is will you notice the difference and will the difference actually be good or bad.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 AM

The EJ has a very thin nitrocellulous finish. I have never heard of a Jem with nitrocellulous finish.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Reviews: 4

No it won't.

People sometimes get the wrong idea because they disassemble the whole guitar, paint it and then put it back together.
That and a pack of new strings, makes the illusion that the guitar sounds different. But it doesn't.

Clearcoats, finishes, etc., will have impact on hollow body instruments. That is because the finishes alter the way a thin laminate wood vibrates and resonates: it alters the physic characteristics of the wood.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
i would have to agree with that.cant see how a few coats of paint would make much difference.if there is any difference you probs wouldnt notice it anyways.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ..excellent insght..much appreciated.

This guy is an amazing artist and can pretty much do anything I want ..for free.

Its like a tattoo for the guitar really. Yes, the concept of having something that inspires you far outweighs the most subtle change in tone (if any LOL)

Ill keep you posted..now the tricky part...what do I want done

Thanks
psp777
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 1

The tone of solidbody guitars are not perceptibly affected by crazy paint jobs.

I've had (2) PGM301s repainted with some pretty thick finishes (they had to be for what I wanted) I have not noticed any difference between the stock finish and the refinish. Heck, one of the guitars is covered in fabric and lots of clearcoat. Still, not perceptible difference.

All that being said, everyone's ears are a little different. Some folks hear things that others can't.

For me, the way the guitar looks inspires me to play it more sometimes. I have my moods where I will decide to play one guitar over another just because of the finish (I've got 2 pairs of guitars that are almost identical).

Will you notice a difference in the guitar's tone after it's refinished? I dunno but it's a million to one chance you will so it's not worth wasting time thinking about it IMHO.

Tags
painting a guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode