Custom PGM project (update:FINISHED WITH PICS!!!!!!!!) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Custom PGM project (update:FINISHED WITH PICS!!!!!!!!)

Well, I didnt know where to post this thread, but since custom jems are ussualy posted in the jem/UV forum, and given that PGMs are signature (hence prestige) guitars, I think this is the right forum.

I was about to start a Jem project, but after talking with the Luthier, I finally opted for this PGM project.

The goal is simply to build the best PGM guitar to date. The project started today.

Here are the details:

Neck: 5 piece pau ferro, with 2 violet (i dont know if this is the engish name for this wood) stripes. Ebony fingerboard with splited block inlays (paduak, abalone, paduak).

Body: Salam (its a mexican dark and very hard wood, similar to wallnut) with a wallnut root burl top. Ebony binding. The f holes are going to be inlayed in paduak.

Gotoh Fixed bridge, tone and volume controls, Super 3 and Air Norton pups. Ernie Ball electronics, Sperzel Locking tuners.

I was undecided about the paduak. I was going for another root (vavona root burl), but the red paduak will probably have a better contrast against the black ebony on the freatboard and the dark brown wallnut root burl top.

Natural high gloss finish.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM

looking forward to pics!!!

question: Salam, is it light weight or heavy?

ps. tone knob???
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Its pretty heavy weight, but it looks much better than mahogany. And its a very resonant wood (i dont know if resonant is the right word or spelling ).

Im thinking about adding a tone control. I really use it so, I may put the tone control where the volume control is located, and add the volume control in the top of the F hole.
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, here are the final (I hope) modifications to the project (I was with the Luthier till 2am!):

the violet stripes are purple heart stripes (I didnt know the name of the wood in english). SO the neck it a 5 piece pauferro with 2 stripes of violet.

The body is going to be made of Tzalam (not Salam). ITs also called Caribean Walnut. Its harder than black walnut (so I guess it probably has a brighter sound). The colour is more uniform than black walnut. I never seen it used for an electric guitar, but Martin has limited series acoustic guitar made of Tzalam. ITs an Eco friendly substitute of Walnut. I could ve gone with mahogany.... but Im bored of mahogany and decided to try this out. Besides, aesthetically the Tzalam back will be a better match fo the walnut root burl on the top.

All the parts that were supposed to be made in padouk are going to be made of thuya root burl instead (it looks much better). This means that the F holes and the neck inlays are going to be made of Thuya root burl. The neck inlays are going to be thuya root burl/abalone/thuya root burl splitted blocks.

The F holes are going to be binded with sicomoro (similar to maple) for better contrast between the walnut root burl and the thuya root burl.

The headstock will have a walnut root burl veneer to match the body. The truss rod cover will be made of thuya root burl.

The electronics back cover is going to be made of thuya root burl.

It will not have a tone control, and it will feature the same bridge as the fixed bridge PGMs.

Today the Luthier is going to buy most of the woods, so unless he cant find some of them at the supplier, those are the final specs.

I really hope he can find all the woods involved, and I cant wait to see the work in progress. This Luthier is an amazing guy, and a Friend. If this turns out as I expect, the next one will be modding my RBM1 (new neck and top).

Well... I ll be posting as the work developes.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:48 AM

rock on!
good thing u passed on the tone knob...

i canīt wait for the pics...

and i gotta ask...how much will this project cost?
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, about the price, you have to get 2 things into consideration:

1) This kind of work its a lot cheaper in Mexico (compared to the US or Europe)
2) The Luthier is a friend
3) He likes to do this kind of projects, since most of the request he gets are for pretty standar jobs and repairs.

The cost of the guitar is going to be around U$S1000 + the pups, electronics and harware. So the guitar is going to cost about 1300-1400 finished. Its about all I can spend at the time to tell you the thruth.

Considering the huge amount of details and handwork, and the use of root burls and other nice woods, I think it is a very good price. May be this guitar would cost about doble the price I am paying if I order it in the US or in Europe. But then, I just couldnt afford it.

I could ve gone with a bird eye maple neck with purple heart stripes.... but I ve heard so many things about pau ferro that I decided to give it a try. There still was the option for a bird eye maple freatboard, but I prefer the feel of ebony. So I made some compromises in the cosmetic appeal of the neck in order to have a more playable and better sounding guitar. I think the pau ferro neck with the purple heart stripes will look amazing anyway. The ebony freatboard is pretty standard, but the inlays are just going to be amazing.

The body, if everything goes smooth, should be a quite a sight when its finished. I really hope he finds the thuya and the walnut root burls. You just have to see the Thuya root burl in person. Its just the most amazing wood I ever seen. I mean, the walnut root burl looks very good, but it just pales against the Thuya root burl. (I would ve loved a Thuya root burl top, but you have to use 4 pieces to make a top, and I dont think it would ve worked well).
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, may be they were 3 things to take into consideration....

Quote:
1) This kind of work its a lot cheaper in Mexico (compared to the US or Europe)
2) The Luthier is a friend
3) He likes to do this kind of projects, since most of the request he gets are for pretty standar jobs and repairs.
Today I have another one of this mental lags.....

Quote:
the violet stripes are purple heart stripes (I didnt know the name of the wood in english). SO the neck it a 5 piece pauferro with 2 stripes of violet.
I really need to rest!
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:24 PM

OMG that sounds like a dreamguitar. be sure to post pics when it's done man
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
RCB

The scheduled delivery date is by the end of november or the first days of december, so it will take a while until I can post pictures of it. I may take some pics of the work in progress though!

Thanks for the coments!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
RCB

PICS of the PGM Custom in progress

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/PGM/

Its still early but I wanted to share some picks of the work in progress

Some updates:

The body is made of mahogany and granadillo at the back. The walnut root burl veneer you see has been replaced for another one (better) because the bookmatch was not perfect.

The inlays are going to be bird eye maple, abalone, bird eye maple (the bird eye maple replace the tuya root on the freatboard inlays)

The F holes will have a maple bindin and the body will have an ebony binding.

The tuners are going to be grover (not sperzel), and the bridge pup will be a tone zone.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:24 AM

It looks amazing! That is going to be a really nice top
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:29 AM

looks great!

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 05:01 AM

I hate it.

I HATE IT BECAUSE IT WILL PROBABLY BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PGM EVER AND WILL NOT BE MINE!!!!

I can already see the potential at that very rough stage. It must be very exciting.

Good on you, and make sure to post pics as it progresses...
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:51 AM

looks great and bet it'll sound great too with all that quality wood.
Sorry for my ignorance but i've been wondering : what exactly is a bookmatch ?
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:17 AM

Looking good!

Can't wait...

Tags
acoustic guitar , air norton , beautiful guitar , block inlays , bridge pickup , bridge pup , chrome hardware , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom jem , custom rbm , ebony fingerboard , electric guitar , ernie ball , fixed bridge , floyd rose , ibanez les paul , jem project , les paul , les pauls , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , neck inlay , neck shape , paul gilbert , pickup selection , schaller floyd rose , schaller tuners , sounding guitar , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , strap button , strap buttons , tone monster , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode