Custom RG1570 ideas and input - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Custom RG1570 ideas and input

I have a Sparkling blue glitterpoop 1570 that I have been contemplating doing a major overhaul on. I was going for a SRV / Root Beer feel but thought about getting some input on some of the technicals.

I would like to replace the custom pups... with what I have no idea.
I don't know if I should just get a replacement body or have someone mod the one I have.
Who would do a great job with the burst/paint and body?
Veneer or flamed top?
Can you use 550 pickguards or do I have to go custom as I would expect?
What would be the cheapest way going about this and still come out with a quality guitar?

Here is a mockup of what I have in mind. Any input would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: Custom RG1570 ideas and input

get a custom body... keep or sell the body afterwards...
getting white pickups are not hard to find.. pick your brand and specify white
white knobs and switch are just as easy to find...
550 pickguards might work your 1570 but you have to widen the vol/tone and switch holes since 550's are front-routed... might consider a custom clear pickguard; show more flame maple

Reg
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:28 AM

I think that would look way better without the monkey grip and lions claw. Also, black hardware would suit it better imho.

Other than that, love the top and black pickguard/white pickups.

Rock on!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I am moving forward....
Sims is hooking me up with a solid Mahogany body similar to an amazing 7 string that he is working on. I am keeping it natural and can't wait to get this baby together!

White Air Nortons, Tone Zone, and HS2 ordered... pickguard and knobs I am still working on getting. Here is a mockup of what I am hoping for.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 120

Good luck with it. Hopefully Sims will be able to deliver it to you in a reasonable amount of time, and not take months.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Good luck with it. Hopefully Sims will be able to deliver it to you in a reasonable amount of time, and not take months.
HA! Fat chance of that.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

I would rather have a quality product rather than a rushed one. What would be the point of being impatient unless you are expecting a half-assed piece of crap to put your neck to. Quality requires patience! Crying about it won't get it in any faster. Besides... if my body looks half as good as this mahogany one that he is working on, I would have no room to complain how long it took...

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Coovy View Post
I would rather have a quality product rather than a rushed one. What would be the point of being impatient unless you are expecting a half-assed piece of crap to put your neck to. Quality requires patience! Crying about it won't get it in any faster.
It's not how long it takes but rather how long you're told it's going to take vs. how long it actually takes.

There are builders out there who produce top notch bodies/guitars/paint jobs, meet their promised delivery dates and treat their customers with respect instead of contempt.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

I could imagine the workload that he has and the pressures involved. What he does is his livelihood and his passion. That puts him on the defensive against negative comments that could damage his reputation and business. That seems to have been the most damaging aspect from this site, ironically.

Patrick may not be well respected in here anymore, but he sure has my respect for the talent that he has. He has put out some amazing stuff and I am looking forward to seeing his work first hand no matter how long it takes.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Why weren't the trem post holes drilled before the thing was finished?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Good catch. Typically the holes are drilled and the inserts are put in before the body is finished. I suppose you could do if after the fact but it would be easier to do it before finishing.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
B/c its not finished, it just has one coat of sealer. The guitar is FAR from finished. Its just partially mocked up in that picture, besides, I drill the post holes last so their not piled under layers upon layers of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Good catch. Typically the holes are drilled and the inserts are put in before the body is finished. I suppose you could do if after the fact but it would be easier to do it before finishing.
Good Catch? Its not about doing whats easier Toneboy, its about doing whats best. If you drill the holes 1st & then put the inserts in then your going to get about 4 coats of sealer, 2-3 coats of color & 2-3 coats of clear on them.....basically your going to bury them under paint. Why don't I want to do that? Several reasons. #1 I think it looks like total crap. I would much rather see the nice new metal anchor unpainted and cleanly pressed in than buried under approx 10 coats of finish. It just looks like a cleaner assembly when parts aren't painted over. #2 reason, what if one day you need to remove that anchor? What if the stud strips and you can't get it out so you need to replace the entire anchor? Guess what, if you use the method of installing the anchors before the finishing your going to completely destroy the paint all around the anchors when you remove them. Even if you try & exacto knife around them A) that doesn't look clean at all but & B) you can tell it was exacto'd out & it still chips & flakes the paint when its removed b/c the stud is essentially buried under layers & layers of paint. BUT, if you do the finishing 1st, then drill the anchor holes to the proper diameter when your doing the assembly then not only is the stud going to fit nice & tight in the hole but its also going to look much more cleanly done & if you ever need to remove the anchor you can do so without any paint damage. I use to drill them before finishing the body, but then I realized if I am going to be the one building the guitar/assembling the guitar & doing the paint work as well then I would be better off to drill them at the end so it looks nicer & more professional & looks like a little more time & attentional to detail was taken, rather than just putting them in & piling the paint over them. If done with the right bit, a forstner bit, it will be a perfectly clean hole as a forstner bit cuts differently than that your regular drill bit & will not chip the paint at all. The only time I drill the post holes now is if I'm not doing the assembly or paint & someone just orders a body I will go ahead & do all the appropriate holes for them.

I simply don't see any reason in the world why it would be better or benificial to install the anchors before the finishing. Toneboy, or should I call you Matt, what makes it easier to drill the holes & install the anchors before the paint when you do the exact SAME thing after the paint...drill the holes & install the anchors?

The only difference is your "easier" method places the anchors under many layers of paint & sealer & will only result in possible damage to the surrounding area of paint if the anchor ever needs to be removed to where my method of drilling the holes & installing after the finishing results in a cleaner look, no more work, & no possible damage to the paint if the anchors are ever removed for whatever reason. Of course, since your not a painter or a guitar builder I wouldn't really expect you to know or think of these little details....

(Also another scenario for reason to remove the anchors would be what if someone decides to go with another tremelo system & they want to utilize the studs & anchors that come with & match that new system)

Sure I know Ibanez does it & paints over them, but that doesn't really mean that its the BEST way to go about it. They also used colored paper for their vine & pyramid inlays, so I wouldn't really look to them for setting the bar in attention to detail......

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
HA! Fat chance of that.
GroovyCoovy contacted me and told me he wanted a mahogany JEM body. He told me his specs, he ok'd the piece of Mahogany lumber I showed to him that I recommended using, he paid & I cut the body that day & sent him the pictures....which was yesterday. So HA back at ya.....

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 03-05-2009 at 01:09 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsCustomShop View Post
Toneboy, or should I call you Matt, what makes it easier to drill the holes & install the anchors before the paint when you do the exact SAME thing after the paint...drill the holes & install the anchors?
Whilst I agree that i'd put the anchors in afterwards too if I was able to build guitars like you do Patrick, it does seem the "right" way to do it out of "common sense" to me.

I had to laugh when you revealed Toneboy's "secret identity", it was like the camp 60's Batman TV show, and you've just unmasked Batman... or should I call you Bruce Wayne!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 AM

I've seen plenty of bodies (Jackson, Ibanez, Charvel, etc) in which the anchors were placed first and they turned out perfectly fine and no one complains about it in the least. That raises the question why do most if not all manufacturers put the anchors in first?

As far as getting the body done quickly, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Whilst I agree that i'd put the anchors in afterwards too if I was able to build guitars like you do Patrick, it does seem the "right" way to do it out of "common sense" to me.
Eh, there's still the question of why most (I won't say all because I can't be sure) manufacturers put the anchors in first? When they get put in doesn't seem any easier pre or post finishing. When the holes are drilled doesn't makes a difference as to how tight the anchors are in the body and to be blunt, once anchors are in the body, I wouldn't want to mess with removing them on the off chance that removing the old ones and putting in new would results in holes being just a tiny bit looser.

Quote:
I had to laugh when you revealed Toneboy's "secret identity", it was like the camp 60's Batman TV show, and you've just unmasked Batman... or should I call you Bruce Wayne!!!
I chuckled too. Yeah, my secret identity has been reveals! Oh noes, what will I do now?

Last edited by toneboy; 03-05-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Tags
custom rg1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode