Custom strat idea - Love the sound hate the way they play - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Custom strat idea - Love the sound hate the way they play

I am an admitted SRV fan. I love his sound. But.....

I hate the way Strats play.

I hate their small frets and their clunky heel joint.

I love the way they look and the sound is the best for playing blues IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I love my Eggles and Ibanezes but they CAN'T sound like a strat.

I was planning to put a set of Texas specials in one of my Eggles but that is fairly expensive. I have the cash but it's a choice between a univibe or a set of PUPs and The univibe seems a better choice.

Now to the idea. I have a strat HM with a huge neck but those great single coil sounds are there even though it's a 24 fretter. But the trem is shot and it's a kahler.

Custom strat time

Looked at warmoth, nice but I don't want a standard strat

So specs are

Strat headstock (possibly Steve Stevens washburn sized to match body)
maple fretboard neck profile of my Eggle
24 Jumbo frets without a fretboard extension so access to high frets is easier
7/8 body size made of swamp ash or alder
Strat HM heel joint or AANJ
texas specials aged covers and knobs
Body colour light yellow, bright white scratchplate
gold hardware.
Lefty vintage trem (SRV hat tip)

I always remember a guitarist review of one of the relic strats in faded yellow and it was the coolest guitar I've seen.

This is my perfect strat.

I might have to get this made next year to get it out of my system.

Opinions and suggestions?

I might try and put singles in my 550 to see waht ot sounds like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 03:59 PM

Custom strat idea

I'm in the same boat. *What I plan to do is go with an ebay body and a warmoth neck...you can get it with an "Ibanez profile" which is a bit bigger than a Wizard, but it's gotta be better than a Fender. *The compund radius sounds nice, too. *I'll probably do Bill Lawrence pups.

But first it's a homebrew tele. *Got a NICE sunburst body on ebay, and I'll try a Warmoth neck on that.

All the best with yours...let us know what you end up with!
Greg
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 05:44 PM

Custom strat idea

The frets and the neck wood are the key to having one that plays great. *I just bought a 1986 reissue neck with a $300.00 Jumbo refret to put on my reissue strat. *You also want to find a neck that isn't too stiff or backbowed, as it will play better. *Check out a neck from a late 70's strat -- they are more narrow, thinner, and you can usually find one with a jumbo refret. *It isn't uncommon to find one that has had the 3-hole to 4-hole conversion done as well. *If you really want to go with Warmoth, it is a great choice. *I like the feel of the vintage lacquer over a maple neck and fretboard too.

Oh, by the way, some guys that used to work for Warmoth started a new neck company, and I think they are a little bit cheaper. *Not sure of the name...something with USA or American in it I think.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 05:47 PM

Custom strat idea

Oh, one other thing. *You mentioned SRV...well, I am sure his guitars did not "play well" with such high action and heavy strings, but he did use bass frets, and also tuned down a half step. *The big frets make a world of difference, especially on a vintage board with a small (7") radius.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Custom strat idea

Josh,

From numerous interviews SRV's No.1 had basically a compound neck due to the amount of times it was re-fretted. Ans yes it was ment to play like a dog. But remember SRV must have had hands of steel by commonly using 13's I

Yes I know the neck snapped on No.1 and was replaced with either a 59 or 62 neck, then the old neck was fixed and put back on.

I stress the point that I want 24 jumbo frets though or i would just buy a blade texas vintage.

Why? Well I prefer jumbo frets for bending as with normal fender micro frets I can't get enough purchase on the string.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:19 AM

Custom strat idea

There is a strong (and in my opinion valid) argument that you can not get a "true" Strat neck or neck/middle sound out of a 24 fret guitar. On a 22 fret guitar you put the neck pickup a little further toward the headstock, pretty much right under where the 24th fret harmonic node would be, and you get a lot of harmonic overtones and an overall richer tone out of the pup as a result. Stevie loved the neck and neck-middle pickup positions, and if you want to capture the SRV sound, you probably will need to use a 22 fret guitar to do so.

That being said, I spent a lot of time looking for a Strat that plays as well as a Jem recently and finally settled on a '96 Strat Plus - big honkin' frets and a wider, flatter neck than the average Strat, plus it's lighter than most and plays beautifully. I've even developed an affinity for the Lace Sensor pickups in it (for now, anyway :-)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 02:26 PM

Custom strat idea

I agree about neck pickup placement.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 5
Custom strat idea

me too. *fortunately, I hate the "strat sound"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:27 AM

Custom strat idea

You think the HM has a huge neck?
No wonder you play Ibanez.
I don't like the HM necks either, but not because of size, but rather shape, the top is as thick as the bottom, like someone shaved off the back of a regular strat neck. Bad idea.
Give me a Super Wizard or UV neck any day.
One day I'm gonna kae a UV777BK into a 7 string strat.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Custom strat idea

The depth of the HM neck is fine. It's just that it's marginally narrower than my 2027 neck, saying that I love it.

I've decided to just re-pickup one of my Eggles. I'm waiting on a WD catalogue as I like Kent Armstrong PUPs but I might get a set of Fender texas specials

I have three of these guitars so one with different PUPS won't hurt.

I'm going for the black body white pickup and knob look.

I also agree that pickup placement has to do with the tone BUT my 24 fret HM has it where as my 24 fret Ibanes guitars don't. So I'm putting it down mostly to the PUPS the position is like adding a steel sustain block to a vintage trem as opposed to a milled aluminium a nother subtle nuance.

Why am i on another Strat kick. Well i bought the SRV 4 disc 'Boxed set'

The acoustic stuff was great
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 11:41 AM

Custom strat idea

Hey Pablo, long time no post....

it seems we, again, facing the same prob, I, too bought the SRV box set and bought a squier strat and wanna mod it up to a SRV-alike-strat hehehehe

Walter
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Custom strat idea

I have been away from home but I'm back for a week then I need to go away again.

I did see a nice squire too. Bearing in mind it's cheap and I love the Grey Eric Clapton Strat this one was metalic silver with a 22 fret maple neck. But I did the right thing and walked away. *
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 11:51 PM

Custom strat idea

Fender Custom Shop with 9.5 inch radius and medium jumbo frets is a good solution for that....I have a Custom Shop Telecaster like that (a Custom Classic Tele) and its shred worthy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 06:34 PM

Custom strat idea

I had a Strat once.
I sold it because it played like crap!
The real problem we the radius of the neck.
If it is arched to much bending with low action is not an option.
I'm building a Strat for sale that has a flatter radius on it.
Fender Texas Specials
white pickguard and pickup covers
all gold hardware and gold screws
mahogany body
maple neck & fretboard
fixed bridge with strings though body
I also did an AANJ to top it off
I'm finishing it clear so you can see the wood

Sebastian
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 03:22 AM

Custom strat idea

imho Texas Specials only get that special sound as Texas Special Tele pickups in a Telecaster

if you want that classic blues rock sound out of Fender pickups I'd suggest Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups for Strats

as far as the guitars go I am not impressed with Fender production guitars but the Custom Shop makes some very nice guitars....the Custom Classics have a 9.5 inch radius that makes for easier bendability and action than on the 7.25 inch radius vintage style Fenders

Tags
body shape , custom shop , eric clapton , fender custom shop , fixed bridge , fret guitar , fret maple , fret maple neck , high frets , jeff beck , jumbo frets , lace sensor , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , medium jumbo frets , neck pickup , neck radius , pickup cover , squier strat , steve stevens , strat plus , strat sound , swamp ash , vintage trem , warmoth neck , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode