Custom Swirl RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34
Custom Swirl RG

Ok.

Feast your eyes!!!!!

http://moreguitarpics.fotopic.net/p28599890.html
http://moreguitarpics.fotopic.net/p28599891.html

This was originally going to be a reverse headstock Jem, with fabric covering. But I had the opportunity to buy a swirled body from fellow Jemsiter smc (http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46372). I think that this was swirled by Serratus, and it looks 10x bettter in real life (looks killer in the pics as well). It turns out the the Schaller FR wouldn't fit, so we just ground it down until it did.

It was put together by Steve Wright of PJ's Guitar centre in Portsmouth (UK). Steve has built all my customs with me. His work is really good, his setups are the best I have ever had, and I have had work done by some of the more prestigious shops in the south of England. With 10 guitras, and no skill in setups, they are very important people in my life . To cap it all they are genuinely nice guys at PJ's. I drive from Southampton (next city to the west) to get all my gear serviced, and I buy almost everything form there.

Specs:

Body: RG 470??? reswirled by Richard Fay Guitars.
Neck: from an rg470L. Half scalloped, and modded to fit right handed body by Steve.
Tuners: Gotoh
Bridge: Schaller (heavily modded)
Pickups: Neck=Evo, Single=Evo/Jem single, Bridge = Evo2
Electrics: All dimarzio
Wiring: HSH, Split 5, with both hums coil tapped

Obviously with the first fit being turned round in a few days I had to make do with some odd bits (nobs and black saddle) all of which I will update later when they are in stock.

Playability. Without question it is fantastic. I am already so in love with the half scallop that I am getting another spare neck done the full banana. The only thing I don't like immediately is the control layout, which is the same as very other RG, so not surprising. I will work around it: literally.

Sound: Basically it is just fantastic. I tried it out in the shop through a valve Laney and it rawked (that's right rawk not rock). Artificial harmonics were better than my Les Paul with ZW EMGs.

I did a short a/b test with my Jem (fp stock) through my JMP-1 and it is just more of everything. The dynamics are amazing. adn I am moderately impressed with the Evo single as well.

I will post some more pics, and a better review of the Evo/Evo2 another day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Re: Custom Swirl RG

Really nice to see it finally together! I was a bit worried after all the problems getting a trem to fit, so it's great to see you got it sorted. Not my choice of colour for the pickups, but it'll catch people's attention for sure! Well done, and congrats!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 02:15 PM

Sweet man, congratz . Great swirl Richard .

Regards

André

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 02:42 PM
smc

Nick!

That guitar came together realy nice! Changing all the floyd saddles to black would look killer...but they are expensive buggers! I didnt know that a AANJ lefty neck could fit on a right body (any chance of seeing how that looks at the back)

I hear you on the scalloping too, I tried a Yngwie strat earlier this week and I loved how the scalloped neck felt.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 120

Neat looking axe, glad to see you put it together so nicely
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc
Nick!

That guitar came together realy nice! Changing all the floyd saddles to black would look killer...but they are expensive buggers! I didnt know that a AANJ lefty neck could fit on a right body (any chance of seeing how that looks at the back)

I hear you on the scalloping too, I tried a Yngwie strat earlier this week and I loved how the scalloped neck felt.
Thanks for the kind words guys. It is a visually striking beast!

I think the I will keep it all gold for now. I actually have enough spares to turn all the hardware black, but I think I prefer gold at the moment.

A lefty neck will fit with some persuasion and re-profiling. Obviously the fixing holes have to filled and re-drilled. It feels no different to a normal neck. The only drawback (as I discovered on a previous project) is that you have no side dots on the bass side (what was the treble side). It takes a bit of getting used to.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:45 AM

G'Day Nick,
Congrats on a very cool custom, it turned out very unique with all those colours and the neat swirl.
I think your gonna really dig that Evo2 bridge. I love mine. It just seems to have a great balance of power, dynamics, harmonics and overall tone.
Its great that you sorted out the issue with the trem. Can you tell us a bit more of the mod you did on the trem. I have a couple of RG470 project bodies that I'll probably swirl one day, but I want to decide whether to route the trem cavity beforehand, or do a trem mod like you did. Thanks and enjoy your new guitar!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 PM

Sweet !!! I love the scallop looks cool
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Sweet !!! I love the scallop looks cool
Good God I love 'em. I am going to get a whole neck done for my next project. I actually feeldisappointed when I play the lower 12 frets.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by et6666
G'Day Nick,
Congrats on a very cool custom, it turned out very unique with all those colours and the neat swirl.
I think your gonna really dig that Evo2 bridge. I love mine. It just seems to have a great balance of power, dynamics, harmonics and overall tone.
Its great that you sorted out the issue with the trem. Can you tell us a bit more of the mod you did on the trem. I have a couple of RG470 project bodies that I'll probably swirl one day, but I want to decide whether to route the trem cavity beforehand, or do a trem mod like you did. Thanks and enjoy your new guitar!
Thanks,

The trem was basically ground down (I'll find out how) using a trs trem base plate as a template. Easy really, I can't think why none of us have done it before. It definately provides an easier option for the lo-trs users who do't want to re-route.

If you have to option/expertise then re-route, and reposition the anchor post correctly if you can. The bridge posts should be further forward on the schaller, and that make intonation difficult. Mine intonates fine, and plays really well (Schallers are very good trems) but the saddles are very far forward.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:52 PM

I'd really like to know how you put the lefty AANJ neck on a right handed AANJ body, so I can do it too (well, the opposite, righty neck on a lefty body

and how does it compare/play/feel to a normal AANJ..
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
Good God I love 'em. I am going to get a whole neck done for my next project. I actually feeldisappointed when I play the lower 12 frets.
Do it then but scalloping is great for playing solo's and stuff. It doesn't shine if you want to play rhythm and stuff. I love to have a scallop neck but then I still play's those pop song which doesn't suit
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb
I'd really like to know how you put the lefty AANJ neck on a right handed AANJ body, so I can do it too (well, the opposite, righty neck on a lefty body

and how does it compare/play/feel to a normal AANJ..
Basically you just fill the old holes and drill new ones in the right place. There is a tiny bit of profiling on the (new) treble side of the neck, but I am not sure that it is strictly essential. I may be over simplifying this, I will talk to my tech, but I don't think it is that big a deal. I did the same on a strat neck and it worked just as well.

To play it feels completely normal. There is no significant difference that I can feel at all. Except that obviously I rawk harder (if that is possible) with a reverse headstock. I took some close up pics, I will post when I get the chance.

The only real downside with a lefty neck on a righty guitar is that you lose the position markers. Who would have thought that they actually served a purpose . I do feel a bit lost sometimes and have to look more closely at what I am doing. To be honest it can't be that bad as I have had my pink strat for three years nearly, and I have never been motivated to solve the problem.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Do it then but scalloping is great for playing solo's and stuff. It doesn't shine if you want to play rhythm and stuff. I love to have a scallop neck but then I still play's those pop song which doesn't suit
I am going to do it. Just to try. I love the feel soo much that I can't believe I wont like it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Ok.

Feast your eyes!!!!!

http://moreguitarpics.fotopic.net/p28599890.html
http://moreguitarpics.fotopic.net/p28599891.html

This was originally going to be a reverse headstock Jem, with fabric covering. But I had the opportunity to buy a swirled body from fellow Jemsiter smc (http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46372). I think that this was swirled by Serratus, and it looks 10x bettter in real life (looks killer in the pics as well). It turns out the the Schaller FR wouldn't fit, so we just ground it down until it did.

It was put together by Steve Wright of PJ's Guitar centre in Portsmouth (UK). Steve has built all my customs with me. His work is really good, his setups are the best I have ever had, and I have had work done by some of the more prestigious shops in the south of England. With 10 guitras, and no skill in setups, they are very important people in my life . To cap it all they are genuinely nice guys at PJ's. I drive from Southampton (next city to the west) to get all my gear serviced, and I buy almost everything form there.

Specs:

Body: RG 470??? reswirled by Richard Fay Guitars.
Neck: from an rg470L. Half scalloped, and modded to fit right handed body by Steve.
Tuners: Gotoh
Bridge: Schaller (heavily modded)
Pickups: Neck=Evo, Single=Evo/Jem single, Bridge = Evo2
Electrics: All dimarzio
Wiring: HSH, Split 5, with both hums coil tapped

Obviously with the first fit being turned round in a few days I had to make do with some odd bits (nobs and black saddle) all of which I will update later when they are in stock.

Playability. Without question it is fantastic. I am already so in love with the half scallop that I am getting another spare neck done the full banana. The only thing I don't like immediately is the control layout, which is the same as very other RG, so not surprising. I will work around it: literally.

Sound: Basically it is just fantastic. I tried it out in the shop through a valve Laney and it rawked (that's right rawk not rock). Artificial harmonics were better than my Les Paul with ZW EMGs.

I did a short a/b test with my Jem (fp stock) through my JMP-1 and it is just more of everything. The dynamics are amazing. adn I am moderately impressed with the Evo single as well.

I will post some more pics, and a better review of the Evo/Evo2 another day
steve's a legend, theres nothing the man cant do!

Tags
aanj neck , base plate , coil tap , les paul , neck joint , reverse headstock , richard fay , richard fay guitars , scalloped neck , standard neck , standard neck joint , swirled body , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode