customized rg350 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

customized rg350

afternoon lads.so i just got my rg350 back yesterday after having new pups fitted (tone zone/air norton),bloody hell i got a bit of a surpise at how good that tone zone pup sounds.ive played and owned many high end ibanez guitars over the years but i tell you what it is this rg350 sounds just as good as any of the other guitars ive played.as for the air norton (neck) hhhmmm well its ok but i dont think its as good as paf-pro or evo,i wasnt to excited with the air norton but it will do,it sounds ok but nothing to write home about.i got these wired up same way as a les paul as i only use bridge/neck positions and middle for clean strumming stuff.ill give the tone zone 10/10 and the air norton 7/10.if your looking for a bridge pup i couldnt speak more highly of the tone zone what a fantastic sounding pick up.check out the dimarzio site (www.dimarzio.com) click on tone zone then listen to dave sharman 1990 thats the tone i was after and thats exactly what i got
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Re: customized rg350

Nice one Rob, sounds like money well spent!! I have Tone Zones in all my J Customs and they are great pickups.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

I am glad the tone zone is working out for you. I put a tone zone in the bridge of my RG570 years ago, but for me I found it was too muddy and dark, not enough high frequencies for me. But I have heard clips of other tone zone users that simply rocked. If you want more bit in the bridge I have found that the duncan distortion is really good in basswood--at least for me...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

cheers lads.i think its the way you wire them up.i had a rg2550z replaced with evo's and it sounded vile,basswood and evo's are a smoking combination but mine sounded terrible,obviously it was the way they were wired up.this tone zone is the best pup ive ever used,it just goes to show if you buy a cheapish guitar and upgrade whats needed you have a guitar whats sounds just as good as a high end guitar.im very impressed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Nice one Rob, sounds like money well spent!! I have Tone Zones in all my J Customs and they are great pickups.
cheers paul.i paid 90 for both tone zone/air norton,thats roughly half bat and they are spanking condition.so not a bad deal
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Awesome dude! I LOVE Tone Zones. Definitely my favorite bridge pup for rock and metal.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM

The Tone Zone is a very polarizing pickup. People typically love them or hate them. I fall on the "hate" side of the fence. The Air Norton on the other hand is one of my absolute favorite neck pickups. I have one in a basswood guitar and one in a mahogany guitar. They sound very different, but great in both with the preference probably going to the basswood guitar. I had a PAF Pro in the neck in an RG3120 I no longer own and I absolutely loved that pickup. One day I'm going to put that pickup back in one of my guitars.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The Tone Zone is a very polarizing pickup. People typically love them or hate them. I fall on the "hate" side of the fence. The Air Norton on the other hand is one of my absolute favorite neck pickups. I have one in a basswood guitar and one in a mahogany guitar. They sound very different, but great in both with the preference probably going to the basswood guitar. I had a PAF Pro in the neck in an RG3120 I no longer own and I absolutely loved that pickup. One day I'm going to put that pickup back in one of my guitars.
the air norton is ok and i wont replace it but for the neck pup i prefer the paf-pro also i like evo in neck position.i bought this rg350 for my son the stock pups were ok and was in 2 minds weather to swap em out as i thought they were quite high powered (inf3-inf4).as for the edge111 trem it stays in tune,some folk say it doesnt but mine seems ok.im not into heavy trem abuse but i do a lot of big wide bends and the trem stays in tune.this tone zone just makes me want to play guitar every 5 mins of the day,its a revelation
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
cheers paul.i paid 90 for both tone zone/air norton,thats roughly half bat and they are spanking condition.so not a bad deal
No worries Rob. 90 eh?? That's a very good deal indeed in fact I'd go as far as saying.....

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
No worries Rob. 90 eh?? That's a very good deal indeed in fact I'd go as far as saying.....

hahahaha yeah good 1 mate
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Sweet Rob!!! Possibly the greatest single word to be uttered in movie history imho. LMAFO at those Evil Dead movies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4PcOQYFAw
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Let's see it, Rob!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode