Customizing an RG421 - build diary (56k no) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Customizing an RG421 - build diary (56k no)

So a few years ago I looked into purchasing a fixed bridge guitar. I was sick of floating bridges. When one day I happened upon a metallic dark blue RG421 in a local music store. The owner of the store had become a friend over the years, he even sold me my very first Ibanez.

Anyway, I picked the guitar off the hanger and eagerly looked behind the headstock for 3 magical little words that would mean I would allow myself to purchase the guitar. "Made In Japan", is what she said...

Stock with V7 and V8 humbuckers... No single coil... Oh well, what was the price? Not bad....Where's the nearest Dual Recto?

She played well, and felt surprisingly like my RG570 but with a slightly thicker neck. Not to bad, I thought. So I made a deal with the owner of the store. A set of Dimarzio Evolutions for the neck and bridge were ordered, and I would take delivery of my 421 w/ full setup, Evo's, Dimarzio clip-lock strap, and Ibanez hardcase within a few days.

Fast forward a few years and we're here. A while back I started looking into getting rid of my pickup rings. I got as far as pulling the pickup rings off and realizing how large (and incredibly ugly) the routed holes are.

Originally this is what she looked like

Soon after I started playing around in photoshop with different coloured pickups and knobs. I settled on black and white.

A few phone calls later, and I started to curse Australia. "There'll be a couple of months wait on the white and black Evolutions if you order them now", is what I heard on the other end of the phone.

I'm impatient.

Give me stickers... bugger it.

So I ordered a set of bobbin toppers at an extremely exorbitant price. (I took a scan though, so if I ever want another set I can a vinyl cutter here in Aus to cut them for me and less than 1/4 what I paid...*cough*)

**** found me white and black volume and tone knobs.

Still got those pickup rings though. I know people like them, and most don't mind them. I just prefer not having them.

I started having a look around the internet for pickguards for the 421. It was difficult. There were none, and those that had advertisements for them didn't have pictures, instead showing a Jem or RG HSH for direct mounted pickups....and NONE were cut properly for the bridge.

These places were also located on the other side of the world. I didn't want to risk it.

So I turned to ETguitars and shot Ernie an email. A few emails, measurements and photographs and we were on our way. Flawless service from the man. Within the week I had this in my hands.

Cut with perfect fitment.

This is where I started to get nervous... There's a drill there... and I'm going to have to use it...

No turning back now...

All the screws in. The guitar survived, and so did I!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Customizing an RG421 - build diary (56k no)

Time to put the knobs back on.

Now for some new strings

Time to play...

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Big thanks to ETguitars.

Everyone notice the way ETguitars cut the guard around the bridge? Not sure why Ibanez couldn't do this for their Jem EAFX....

Now that's done I want to do more...

I can do either a swirl or tree-of-life inlay on a custom neck. But can't do both. I'll be sending another email to ET soon enough. Not sure what quote I'll be asking for yet though...Anyone want to steer me one way or the other?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM

thats looks fantastic, looks like something thats really fun to play. so does this guitar have a wizard II thats made in japan? or just regular wozard. i dont understand.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Nice job, it looks great! You know, a few years from now this guitar will pop up on Jemsite in a thread entitled "identify this RG" and the conversation will go something like:

"Wait, I thought MIJ 421's didn't have pickguards . . . "

"Maybe it's a custom job . . ."

"Maybe it's a one-off or a prototype!"

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Looks better than the new hardtail Jem. --Jason
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Looking good.
What about sticking a really big hideous emblem just behind the bridge?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

That's spooky. Check out my stock ALVAREZ. Sorry for the brand name change but I think you'll understand. Ignore the Trem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01326.jpg (16.8 KB, 211 views)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm happy with the looks. Very happy. Just wish it was swirled, or had a cool inlay on the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhairycamel View Post
thats looks fantastic, looks like something thats really fun to play. so does this guitar have a wizard II thats made in japan? or just regular wozard. i dont understand.
Wizard II that's made in Japan. Feels like the Wizard on the 570 but it feels more square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Nice job, it looks great! You know, a few years from now this guitar will pop up on Jemsite in a thread entitled "identify this RG" and the conversation will go something like:

"Wait, I thought MIJ 421's didn't have pickguards . . . "

"Maybe it's a custom job . . ."

"Maybe it's a one-off or a prototype!"

Peace

Mike
lol, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs View Post
Looks better than the new hardtail Jem. --Jason
If only I could get the neck off that hardtail Jem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Looking good.
What about sticking a really big hideous emblem just behind the bridge?
Nah, I was thinking about doing what Paul Gilbert wanted to do with his anniversary model and stick a big silly picture of my head under the bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlslavik View Post
That's spooky. Check out my stock ALVAREZ. Sorry for the brand name change but I think you'll understand. Ignore the Trem.
That Alvarez has better pickup routes than mine. That's just not right.

Last edited by wilch; 01-30-2009 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 120

Great stuff, a pity about the pickup cavities and the holes from the rings.l I probably wouldn't have gone a clear one because of that.

Go for a new neck with maple fretboard and pyramid inlays, that's what I would do.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Great stuff, a pity about the pickup cavities and the holes from the rings.l I probably wouldn't have gone a clear one because of that.
Me too. I have a 421 as well and the best custom job might be the one someone put a dual vine inlay down the neck on.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 6

Looks good Wilch , with the right light you can't really see the pickup cavities too much
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlslavik View Post
I used to own the same guitar and thought the same thing myself.......hahahahaha.
I miss my Alvarez..............
wanna sell yours? or trade for something?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM

that alvarez could not be any more crappy looking.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 AM

looks awesome, great job!!!

Tags
clear pickguard , no pickup rings , no pup rings , rg421

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode