Customs Duty.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Customs Duty....

So with my ET Guitars custom build underway, was wondering how many of you have bought/had guitars made in other countries and ended up paying a customs duty on it?... Trying to see what ive let myself in for.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Re: Customs Duty....

It sucks for sure. 23% here in the UK!!!!! Thing is if you want to import your guitar fully insured then you're gonna have to pay the full whack on Duty and Vat.

This online tool should give you an idea of the hit you're going to take importing an expensive guitar:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

So..... Since NZ is so close to Australia, I Can get a return flight for about $300.... If i flew over and got it, now its no longer a product im buying from overseas, i could just bring it back as luggage, duty free?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
So..... Since NZ is so close to Australia, I Can get a return flight for about $300.... If i flew over and got it, now its no longer a product im buying from overseas, i could just bring it back as luggage, duty free?
Would be nice to think so, just go through the green channel with the guitar as hand luggage. I'm sure guys have done it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Put some removable stickers on it to make it look like a used piece of shijzer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
And if you get pulled by customs at the airport you'll get done for a fine as well as the GST, because they'll make you prove previous ownership. Your choice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM

customs duty 20% for stringed instrument here.
+ 10 % VAT
+ 7.5 % income tax

such a pain in the arse importing guitar for us.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Would be nice to think so, just go through the green channel with the guitar as hand luggage. I'm sure guys have done it.

I did just that when buying a guitar in New York City. No problem what so ever. No tax-no questions-no nothing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Nice site to check stuff on. If I got a guitar from UK on a 1500 guitar with same value in insurance. 100 shipping it would only at 77 bucks. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqify View Post
I did just that when buying a guitar in New York City. No problem what so ever. No tax-no questions-no nothing.
i used to do that too, but not 100% working all the time.
customs officers are getting smarter , especially when they see you are carrying a nice brand new case with 'PRS' or 'GIBSON' logo on it.. well..needs a lot of luck to get through the immigration without question asked.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
i used to do that too, but not 100% working all the time.
customs officers are getting smarter , especially when they see you are carrying a nice brand new case with 'PRS' or 'GIBSON' logo on it.. well..needs a lot of luck to get through the immigration without question asked.

Well then you will have to find some way of saying you got a couple of guitars as a gift or heritage. I could also assume that Customs in Asia might be harder. But that is only speculation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode