D-Tuna on S1625 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Question D-Tuna on S1625

I am wondering if any of you have experience with the S1625 or the new S2075 D-Tuna. My local Guitar Center finally got a 1625. I experimented with the D-Tuna. I thought it was very difficult to operate and when I switch back and forth it wasn't even close to being in tune. I tried tuning the guitar perfectly and then tried to operate it. It seems you have to twist this dial to get it to pop up and down a step. But, twisting it is also how you turn the fine tuner - so if you don't twist it 100% correctly - boing your screwed. Even when I tried very carefully to not twist the tuning function and only get the string to go up or down, it still wasn't in tune.

Howver, I was very impressed with back. It was so cool the way you could quickly adjust the string tension for changing string gauge.

Let me know what you think of this D-Tuna if you have tried it. I was considering selling my s1525 to get the s1625 or s2075!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Re: D-Tuna on S1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynnRoad Music
I am wondering if any of you have experience with the S1625 or the new S2075 D-Tuna. My local Guitar Center finally got a 1625. I experimented with the D-Tuna. I thought it was very difficult to operate and when I switch back and forth it wasn't even close to being in tune. I tried tuning the guitar perfectly and then tried to operate it. It seems you have to twist this dial to get it to pop up and down a step. But, twisting it is also how you turn the fine tuner - so if you don't twist it 100% correctly - boing your screwed. Even when I tried very carefully to not twist the tuning function and only get the string to go up or down, it still wasn't in tune.

Howver, I was very impressed with back. It was so cool the way you could quickly adjust the string tension for changing string gauge.

Let me know what you think of this D-Tuna if you have tried it. I was considering selling my s1525 to get the s1625 or s2075!
It doesn't work correctly with a floating Floyd. You need to either block the trem from pulling up or install a Hipshot Tremsetter/WD Tremolo Stabilizer so it will detune correctly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocluejimbo
It doesn't work correctly with a floating Floyd. You need to either block the trem from pulling up or install a Hipshot Tremsetter/WD Tremolo Stabilizer so it will detune correctly.
AFAIK all of the S series models with a ZR trem come with a Zero Stop which is a tremsetter by another name, keeps strings from being bent out of tune, etc. so it should keep it in tune when dropped, i've been wondering how the D-Tuner works tho.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Arr1V3R - You are right about the ZR Trem. You are supposed to be able to break a string and not have the guitar go out of tune! That is another reason I wanted this axe.

nocluejimbo - if it doesn't work correctly, then why did they put it on? That doesn't make sense to me. The original D-Tuna (that EVH helped design) works flawlessly on a floating bridge.

I used the original D-Tuna on the Wolfgang. That seemed to work flawlessly. It had a different mechanism to drop up and down. But, it only works on Bridges that are NOT low-profile. The S-guitars are all lo-pro (as far as I know).

I think Ibanez might have come up with sub-optimal designs because there might be patent protection around the original D-Tuna or because of the limitations on the lo-pro bridge they have to deal with.
- Tom
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:04 AM

Changing pitch on any string results in tension change. So on floating bridge all strings change & you're out of tune. Therefore D tuner is used only on non floating bridges (the bridge sits on guitar body, so it can't drop, when you drop E) and you can only detune notes. On ZR trem, I suppose, you have to use Zero stop to block the bridge.

I have seen only Peavey Wolfgang's with D tuner, and they where all without floating bridge. You saw d tuner on floating bridge? If yes, IMHO it is a really big improvement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

You can change the pitch of a string on a floating bridge without the guitar going out of tune. You do it by changing the length of the string while keeping the tension the same! That is how both D-Tunas work. The Wolfgang I played with the D-Tuna was on a original Floyd floating bridge.

This should work on the Ibanez. I don't know if I was having operator error or if there is some design flaw.

When I changed the string on the ibanez - the other strings stayed in tune. The low E string just didn't get to the right pitch!

- Tom
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I just read the D-Tuna FAQ. I am starting to question my memory. Maybe the bridge was locked so it could not pull up.

Tags
floating bridges , guitar body , hipshot tremsetter , local guitar center , peavey wolfgang , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode