D'Addario Users: Describe tone? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

D'Addario Users: Describe tone?

I know...string brand is like beer, totally subjective.

I have been a long time user of Ernie Ball strings, but recently tried GHS. Not bad...but I think I like the EB's better.
I just got a set of D'Addario 9's (EXL120) for my RG...but have to wear out the EB's before trying them.

How would you describe the feel/tone of the D'Addarios on Ibanez/RG style guitars?

I think it will be interesting to read the descriptives before trying them.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:42 PM

Re: D'Addario Users: Describe tone?

I'm not a D'addario expert but try Rotosound afterwards. The Pinks or the Oranges since you use 9s
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM

what do you prefer, the standard Rotos or the hybrids? I like the standard but have not tried the H's
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM

Warm and rich !

Regards

André

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM

knotty I prefer the hybrid 10s/11s. Blues. Perfect for me. But when I get a Jem I'll probably put oranges on it. I like the hybrids you can play quick lead on the high strings and nice deep power chords and bass notes on the low strings.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Warm and rich !

Regards

André
Sounds TASTY!

Bob
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM

I used to use d`addario exl120 and found the plain strings to be dead sounding from new. I`ve been using Ernie Ball 9`s for a few years now and they have an even bright tone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:01 PM

d'addarios seem to have less tension then the ernie balls of the same gauge.... at least that's what i experienced.....
tone is bright
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_k666
d'addarios seem to have less tension then the ernie balls of the same gauge.... at least that's what i experienced.....
tone is bright
I agree that the D'Addario 9's seem to have less tension and so are well-suited to players who like to bend their strings a lot. As far as brightness, I'd say they're about equal with the Ernie Balls. Neither are as bright as GHS, but both will last longer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM

I never thought about using D'Addarios. I always used Ernie Balls. When I got my PWH from Rich, He put D'Addarios on it and I have to say that I was very impressed with them. I've played the guitar almost 2 months and they are still clean and sound great. He also threw in some extra sets. Im all set now. Love 'em.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM

They have a very bright harmonically rich tone when brand new. The feel like they were made for my fingers. It's like I'm playing a note and not a string. If that makes any sense? My favorite time with D'Addarios is when they have broken in,,, you know when the nickle coating is wearing nicely off the E,B &G. For me the XL120/7's 9-54 have a life line as I play them. They are very bright in the beginning and quickly become warm, then there is that awesome sweet spot where they are just perfect, then they start to fade but have great quality as they near busting. Sort of like a dying star. LOL. I generally end up changing mine not because of breakage, but more out of feel,,,, after many hours they like any string will corrode and turn black.
My favorite all time strings, been playing them exclusively for about 20 years now. Matt Sweeney at D'Addario is a top notch dude as well. They appreciate they customers....
~A
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:15 PM

Play D'Addario exclusive since i live in the US, they are very nice and have a nice tone. My faves, but i have never seen them in the US, are Maxima Gold Strings.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:07 PM

Totally agree with Allen's review: bright at first, warm and smooth later. They feel 'soft' to the finger, if that makes sense, but they last forever.

Plus... they're cheap!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj
Play D'Addario exclusive since i live in the US, they are very nice and have a nice tone. My faves, but i have never seen them in the US, are Maxima Gold Strings.
I used to use Maxima golds everyonce in awhile,,,for video's and stuff on my Black and Gold ESP. Those strings were cool,,, then the gold would wear off and they looked like crap then later would start to sound funky.

Those would look sweet on a Jem7VWH
~A
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 PM

D'Addario is by far my favorite. I think they're the most consistent and "true". They feel and sound the same from set to set. With every other brand I've had some good luck and some disappointment across the same models.

My hands do not make strings corrode. Having 30-40 guitars, I can have strings that are 1-4 years old on a guitar at any given time. The D'Addarios sound fresh and new, even when I go back to a guitar 6 months later after playing it awhile. The other brands deteriorate. And while my strings do break at the saddles, I find that it's not brought about with age at all with the D'Addarios. In other words, I'll break a string when it's been played for a number of hours. But it doesn't matter if those playing hours are spread across a month or 3 years. Every time I try GHS or Slinkys they age regardless of playing time.

Because my hands don't corrode strings, and because I don't play any one particular guitar constantly, perhaps I'm not the best judge of how a string stands up to corrosion and wear. But for a nickel wrap string, I'll always take D'Addarios whenever I can.

The same goes for their Acoustic strings by the way, and I use the Pro Arte on my classical, too.

Tags
addario exl , ernie ball , ernie balls , high strings , low strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode