Dan armstrong copy? Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Dan armstrong copy? Ibanez?

hey everyone I got a very interesting guitar last year its a 1970s Dan Armstrong copy pictures will follow. what I am interested to know is the origin of the parts the headstock is branded CSL Guitars Charles summerfield limited who were a Uk importer of Ibanez Guitars... So what I am wondering is this an Ibanez built guitar but rebranded to sell in the Uk to avoid copyright?

There is not a lot of available information on the guitar?
looking forward to hearing from you all.

Pete:P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Re: Dan armstrong copy? Ibanez?

This is an older rebranded Ibanez. Rare, too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumlin/4644694129/

http://www.danarmstrong.org/copies2a.html

That's a gorgeous collector's piece. Along with old Ibanez guitars and lawsuit Ibanez guitars, these are also great ones. The second link gives pretty conclusive evidence that Hoshino Gakki was involved with CSL.

As in the interchangeable world of electric guitars, the bodies may have been machined in England. Just like some USA Fenders use non-USA parts and some non-USA Fenders have USA Fender parts (even one Squier sporting a Fender USA custom shop bridge and saddles on a higher end Squier), it's hard to tell what's made exactly where unless there's a paper trail. At this point the fact that you have one, regardless of who made what, is very cool right here and now in 2015.

At the height of the USA made craze, some Floyds (made in West Germany) didn't have a stamp of origin. Things got even more strange when Fender bought Floyd and way fewer non-Fender related superstrats could be found without the bridge. But thte good thing is things are looser with Floyd these days and more price points are met and more companies can again have them OEM.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-15-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

ok thats awesome would you have any idea of what it would be worth i am actually looking rid trying to get money towards treating myself to a uv7pwh

thanks for all the help
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenstrings1992 View Post
ok thats awesome would you have any idea of what it would be worth i am actually looking rid trying to get money towards treating myself to a uv7pwh

thanks for all the help
It's so rare it's hard to know. Reverb.com could be a good resource.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode