Deal or no deal? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Deal or no deal?

I own a 2006 Limited Edition Fender American Vintage 52 Reissue Telecaster in Thin-Skin Nitro. They do runs of these things fairly often so the Ltd Edition ain't all that I don't think. It has a tweed case, all the candy, and is in mint condition. The pups were rewound by Don Mare, as is the mode amongst Tele players, they sound great. It's a pretty lovely example. That said, I don't play it as much as I used to.

I have been offered a straight trade for a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional in Desert Burst. The guitar has the case and all the candy, and the only flaw is a very small chip to the back of the headstock, nothing major. The top has some flame but not loads, but is pretty attractive. If I were choosing I'd probably get a heritage cherry sunburst or ice tea variant, but the DB is growing on me, even with the dark back.

I am tempted but can't decide if this is a good trade. Any ideas? I'm having a job to decide. All advice gratefully received!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm in the UK if that has any bearing, Fender thin skins are arer over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Re: Deal or no deal?

If they are in the same ballpark worth wise, then trade if you like the Les Paul. Everything really hinges on how you feel about the 'Paul - if you don't love it you won't play that either. Then again, even if you do love it you might not in 6 months.
You've mentioned how the Paul looks, how does she play/sound?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's good advice!

She plays great, but both guitars do. The different scale length will take some getting used as I've played Ibanez and Fender for many years now. I like the flatter radius of the fb, I'm got into that since getting back into Ibanez RGs. The Lester sounds excellent too, although I can rarely resist swapping out pickups repeatedly anyway, you know how we all chase tone, I'm as much of a sucker for new pups and new OD pedals as the next player! But in a nutshell, both guitars are of comparable quality in pretty much everyway, it's just whether or not I'm not thinking of something I suppose....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Well...do you have other Teles/Guitars at your disposal? Going to guess "yes" as it doesn't get played as much per your admission.

Was the Tele bought for a specific use?

Are you craving a LP?

IMHO...I'd hop on the LP, esp if it's an "even trade".
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM

Reviews: 2

To me it would depend if I had other Tele's/LPs in my collection or not, But I'm personally not the kind of guy who wants a dozen+ guitars all in the same shape, finish, model, etc. like this tool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TfdIsak1Y
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I agree, I only want one of each, I'm not greedy!

Here's the deal, pre getting back into Ibanez work-horses (which I cannot speak highly enough of - amazing guitars!), I used to be a Tele guy almost exclusively, I think they're awesome guitars. The one I own now is the 'finest' one I ever owned, in that it is a truly beautiful example. Every time I post pictures of it on the internet Tele folks swoon, it's just a very nice one. That is part of the appeal, it is a sumptuous instrument. But then so is the Les Paul.

Thing is, as many of you know, you don't have to shell out a lot to get a great working instrument, and I'm almost too scared to play the Tele because I don't want to ding it or mash it up. It would make me cry.

I don't really have the resources to justify lots of expensive guitars so I've ended up with two more pricey ones and a couple of nice beater players. I hope it goes without saying that all my guitars play well, if they don't they're out the door, whatever the price, same goes for sound, I haven't owned a truly bad guitar in years.

I have a mint 75 hard tail Strat, and the space for the other £1000 plus guitar is taken up by the Tele. The Strat will never be sold as it has sentimental value, it belonged to a notable musician, and was given to me on my 21st birthday because it is the same age as me.

I don't think Teles should be kept in glass cases, they're workman-like guitars, and to me at least are all about function. Sadly mine is too pristine and I don't feel like playing it in case of the inevitable first collision with the wall or a cymbal. I've had others, with knocks here and there, that I had more playing enjoyment from if I'm honest. Some of those were quite cheap, possibly the best player I ever had was an MIJ 50's reissue with the most amazing V neck. I tinkered like mad with that guitar and it was superb.

Les Pauls on the other hand are beautifully made things, and I can see me justifying the cost with the luxury if you see what I mean. Fenders are two planks screwed together, Les Pauls have flame tops and set necks, and are gorgeous pieces, more craftsman than utilitarian - almost the opposite to a Tele in fact.

I'm thinking I may well do this trade and then get something like a used Road Worn Tele, because I can't imagine not having a Tele in my arsenal. Having been a Tele player for so long I almost think of them like an instrument in themselves, there's stuff you do on Teles that you just don't do on other guitars. And then we come full circle, and I think - well I've got a GREAT one already! Why would I want to get rid of it? And besides, if I don't ding it, the next person will, so am I being daft?! So possibly you see part of my my quandary.

Further, I've owned just about every sort of guitar going, but bizarrely never a Lester. I've had an SG, an Ibanez Artist (70's), a PRS Custom 24, etc. but never the real thing. And I've long fancied one, and here's someone offering me one on a plate.

The lack of Tele won't really hurt my sound too much even if there's a gap between replacing it as I have the fixed bridge strat which does there or thereabouts. But then do I really need another two humbucker guitar now I have an RG 570 again? But then I've enjoyed the twin humbucker sound and the flatter radius feel so much again, would I prefer the LP to my Tele.

The other thing in all of this is that I think the guy with the LP is selling himself short. I think his guitar is worth a bit more than mine, but I've alluded to this and he seems happy still to go ahead, so financially I would be up if I swapped. If I hated it in 6 months I could flip and probably be better off anyway.

Other than that, they're both lovely instruments, there's very little to choose other than one's a Les Paul and one's a Telecaster. Both come pretty much as good as new.

Thanks for listening to my life story. It was cathartic! I posted my question on this site over many other forums because given the guitars in question I guessed you guys would be least biased, and also because I've always rated the opinions on here. You all helped my buy a peachy Ibanez RG570 (and avoid some less than peachy ones) so I trust the knowledge you kindly impart on here.

If anyone can be bothered to read all that, I hope it helps explain my decision making angst at the moment!

Above all, thanks for the great advice so far, and keep it coming, this site is great!

Last edited by Goldleader; 06-14-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Tags
les paul tele

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode