Dealing with Ishibashi Webshop to USA - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Dealing with Ishibashi Webshop to USA

I've been testing the waters for some J-Custom action. Ishibashi quoted a good price on the JC I've been considering but if I did order the guitar, how much, who & when would I pay the customs duties? They are shipping EMS which is a fairly vague entity.

Any insight from USA customers would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Re: Dealing with Ishibashi Webshop to USA

I am considering Ishibashi myself, I have heard that Ishibashi can save you money and they have a fairly good reputation.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM

I have never ordered from them myself, but I have read several great reviews from the guys on the Fender page.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
GAZ

Although we have to pay around 22.5% tax and duty in the UK on imports from Japan it still works out pretty reasonable. I understand the tax and duty is payable to the courier on delivery, some people have gotten away without paying anything I know but that's the exception rather than the rule. The main query I have is that once they give you a quote and you wish to buy from them how do you give your credit card details ? Do they send you a special link or something ?? Also can you specify a guitar pictured on their web site or do they just send you whatever's next on the pile of that model/colour ?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

They send you the "next on the pile" guitar.

They gave me a secured server link for some of my CC info. The expiration date is sent via email (kinda scary).

I've been unable to determine total fees due on delivery.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:28 PM

"next on the pile"? I don't like the sound of that.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Dee

I think they will send you pics of the actual guitar you are wanting to buy if you request them.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
"next on the pile"? I don't like the sound of that.
I'm not sure what that means. You pick out the actual guitar you want on the webshot and they send it to you, I don't really know what he's talking about.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM

I dealt with Ishibashi in January to get my 8470.

Everything went well. It was delivered 5 days after I placed the order. That is short for sure.

My only regret is that I was not actually able to choose the guitar. I was told that J Custom's were sold as soon as they arrived in their shop and I had to decide without seeing it.

The aesthetic of the guitar is a surprise. You can like this situation or just...not want to take any risk.

Now, honestly, if I had lived in the US, I would have ordered from Rich. On his site, you can choose the maple top you dream of. But, as I live in France, I would have had to add France import duties to the taxes already payed by Rich.

So it was a much better deal to order directly from Japan. For you Devnor, US resident, it will probably make a less important difference in price.

SUMMARY:
it's cheaper to buy from Japan but it's almost impossible to see the guitar before it arrives.

That being said , I never saw a J Custom I disliked : )

Last edited by Vinco; 05-14-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Replaced "table" with top. I write in English but thin French....
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM

I've dealth with Ishibashi before but only for used items. I've heard horror stories about how they sell new guitars to foreigners. "Next on the pile" would be a good way to describe it, but you know what.. that's exactly how a lot of US mail order places also work.

With that being said, that's why I prefer to fly over to buy stuff then have it shipped.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

"Next on the pile" doesnt really bother me.

My only concern is how much $$$ EMS will want when they deliver the package.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinco View Post
I dealt with Ishibashi in January to get my 8470.

Everything went well. It was delivered 5 days after I placed the order. That is short for sure.

My only regret is that I was not actually able to choose the guitar. I was told that J Custom's were sold as soon as they arrived in their shop and I had to decide without seeing it.

The aesthetic of the guitar is a surprise. You can like this situation or just...not want to take any risk.

Now, honestly, if I had lived in the US, I would have ordered from Rich. On his site, you can choose the maple top you dream of. But, as I live in France, I would have had to add France import duties to the taxes already payed by Rich.

So it was a much better deal to order directly from Japan. For you Devnor, US resident, it will probably make a less important difference in price.

SUMMARY:
it's cheaper to buy from Japan but it's almost impossible to see the guitar before it arrives.

That being said , I never saw a J Custom I disliked : )
How is it "almost impossible"? You simply search the "all shops" thing in the bar, and you get a bunch of pictures of the ACTUAL guitars. It sounds like you are contacting them about the guitar before you look around the web page, which is definitely not the way to do it.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
How is it "almost impossible"? You simply search the "all shops" thing in the bar, and you get a bunch of pictures of the ACTUAL guitars. It sounds like you are contacting them about the guitar before you look around the web page, which is definitely not the way to do it.
Not all of their inventory is present on these pages. Model RG8427F does not appear yet they have these in both colors. While I'd like to have a sick 3D quilt top my main concern is getting a truely useable 7 string with trem. My EBMM JP7 is very nice but I cannot gig with it (tremolo-tuning issues).
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devnor View Post
Not all of their inventory is present on these pages. Model RG8427F does not appear yet they have these in both colors. While I'd like to have a sick 3D quilt top my main concern is getting a truely useable 7 string with trem. My EBMM JP7 is very nice but I cannot gig with it (tremolo-tuning issues).
What are you talking about, I counted 19 RG8470's in the all shops section

http://1484.bz/c/search.cgi?mode=fin...20custom&part=

Oh, my bad. You said 8427. I guess you're out of luck there. However, in addition to the pics I found in the shop pages, they sent me pictures of my guitar the day before shipment to make sure things were okay, without my requesting them.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Vendor

Now try looking for the 8427 he's talking about

Tags
ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode