the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

the death of the 7 string

Thats weird that the guitar sounds better to you in the store. Are you choosing an amp simmilar to your own at home. My advice is to set up the amp as close to your own and then try out a new axe. If your trying out a new amp then use your guitar or one close to it. Now if your trying out a whole new rig thats a different story.

Anyway i prefer to put my own pickups in. The Rg7621 still dosnt come with blaze's, and there is a differance. I love the pu's i put in mine, and it was fairly easy to do.
The same goes for the 2027. That way you can mix and match what fits you.

just my $.02

buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 06:26 PM

Re: the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli

i want a 7 string dammit next pay check im getting one for sure i dont know what to get yet but i love them everyone that i played i loved just my thoughts on stuff
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM

I just recently got my first seven string(rg7321) and I have become alot more creative musically with my seven than my six.As far as popular musicians playing seven's there are a handful,which I dig cause it makes our tone a little more unique.
post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:18 AM

It's interesting to see a thread from 2000 resurrected where the fears of dwindling 7-strings are the same fears as today. Except the 7 string is still here, nearly 6 years later.
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
It's interesting to see a thread from 2000 resurrected where the fears of dwindling 7-strings are the same fears as today. Except the 7 string is still here, nearly 6 years later.

Yep! They'll always be floating around just because there's always someone using them.

I guess it'd a tiny bit like the Les Paul. That went out for a while untill Slash and whoever resurrected it for a new generation. There'll bound to be someone in the future resurrecting/keeping alive the 7-string
post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:42 PM

^^ Yeah. It didn't die. I don't think it's picked up, but it didn't die.

I never got into the 7 strings because that is invading bass territory and the neck is wider. I think a few others have the same opinion, which is why it didn't turn into something huge.
post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 PM

Im still playing all my Ibanez sevens after 7 years. Even if it is dying, Im still going to play my sevens. I feel that it isn't. It's a shame that Ibanez is not making the 7620 anymore though.
post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
^^ Yeah. It didn't die. I don't think it's picked up, but it didn't die.

I never got into the 7 strings because that is invading bass territory and the neck is wider. I think a few others have the same opinion, which is why it didn't turn into something huge.
I don't think it's invading bass territory, especially not if you are into Morbid Angel, Carcass et all, where the low tunings just made the bands what they were.

Now 8strings, that is getting to the point were it's invasive, as can be seen from meshuggah no longer really needing a bassist...anyway...

It hasn't died, but it's gone back to a niche, although it's a bigger niche than it was. All it takes for a band to use them creatively and it'll pick up again, and some are (Nevermore in particular)
post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM

6 years...............and we still fear the downfall of the 7-string. The day Ibanez stops all 7-string production (yeah right) would be a very sad day indeed...........
post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
6 years...............and we still fear the downfall of the 7-string. The day Ibanez stops all 7-string production (yeah right) would be a very sad day indeed...........
Yes it will be.....I don't even want to think about it.
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Re: the death of the 7 string

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajectory fish
Is it just me, or has it been a realy long time since Steve Vai himself has shown his face in a guitar magazine holding a Universe?... *I know he wants to sell jems, but his lack of appearances with a seven string makes it appear that he's abandoned the instrument... * Does he still use it on his records and in his shows? *
Steve still uses 7-strings on all his albums, he just doesn't like playing them live. Tony and Dave have 7-strings so he doesn't need to bring the extra 7-strings taking space on tour. I believe Steve used the "mirror ball " UV and a 7string acoustic from emarald guitars on the latest album.
post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
Ibanez isn't really the "7-string" company they once claimed to be anyway. Schecter is now the 7-string company.

I love Ibanez, but they clearly go for market trends, not for niche markets.
post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM

I'd agree with that, Schecter's been making a lot of 7's lately, thing is they don't have trems. The only reason I'd stick 100% to Ibanez for 7's is because UV's and RG's have a trem, why buy a hardtail 7 when you can detune a 6 string hardtail? That's how I see it...I'm too lazy to keep detuning and retuning my 6 string RG's and Jems so I'd rather get myself a really HOTT 7 string J custom. Now where did that 3000 bucks go? Oh yeah and Steve did use the mirror ball UV on RI:R, it was on Under It All, one of my fav songs on the album. He said about that song that he wanted to do something different with the 7 because everyone else is chugging along on theirs and of course because he freakin invented it .
post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM

Yes, Schecter has been making some gorgeous 7s lately. Im still loyal with Ibanez however.
post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 AM

yeah, nobody else makes anything with something like the LoPro 7 or Edge Pro 7, there's just no comparison. You'd think more companies would be getting smart and make good use of the Floyd Rose 7, but no...all you see are hardtails.

Tags
acoustic amp , death metal , dimarzio blaze , floyd rose , fret neck , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , higher strings , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , les paul , local guitar shop , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , mahogany body , morbid angel , music store , paf pro , playing guitar , rob balducci , rusty cooley , shred machine , steve vai , string acoustic , string bass , string guitars , string section , tony iommi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode