the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli - Page 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:01 PM

Re: the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
And why wouldn't you be able to play bad horsie on an 7-string? tune the low B to G and the rest to the normal Drop C.
jsut a note - i just started using this tuning as my new band is giving me resitance ... i was using Drop G (GDGCFAD) ... but now do this - (GCGCFAD) ... let me tell you ... this tuning rocks ... you get that magic drop C sound which has it's own vibe, and i can still dig down in the lower register. Tried F but it jsut wouldn't intonate, even on the extended scale neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:09 PM

I think i replyed to this thread long ago. Anyway, it's all about preference. I like to have E through E in standard tuning, it helps when playing scales to not have to transpose. But the low B or A gives you a nice deep roar of downtuned guitars. Visit my band at www.sottovoceband.com and tell me 7's suck.
post #93 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311
I think i replyed to this thread long ago. Anyway, it's all about preference. I like to have E through E in standard tuning, it helps when playing scales to not have to transpose. But the low B or A gives you a nice deep roar of downtuned guitars. Visit my band at www.sottovoceband.com and tell me 7's suck.
i never thought 7's suck. i made my other guitarist in the band buy a baritone cause he hated 7's and i was sick of using 6 string in the band.

but dude that sh!t sounds awesome both tracks kicked a$$ i reckon!
post #94 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:56 PM

10 million hits last month for my website (sevenstring.org) begs to differ with this thread title.

The seven is alive and well.
post #95 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

talk about resurrecting an old thread. LOL.

sales wise, the 7 market has fallen since this thread was started over a half-decade ago. buyer choices are few and far between (like lefty guitars) but someone will always cater to a niche market thankfully... glen
post #96 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 PM

I think the availalability of the 7 strings still relitively high, but the string are hard to track down, I have to make up my own sets,
post #97 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeSocietySucks
I think the availalability of the 7 strings still relitively high, but the string are hard to track down, I have to make up my own sets,
I've been buying strings from these guys for a few years now: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/

They have quite a few 7-string sets available. Plus it doesn't hurt that they're quick, cheap and helpful.
post #98 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
talk about resurrecting an old thread.
that's what happens when people use the search feature
post #99 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened Sleeper
I've been buying strings from these guys for a few years now: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/

They have quite a few 7-string sets available. Plus it doesn't hurt that they're quick, cheap and helpful.
+ 1 for stringsdirect, I get all my strings (6 + 7 ) from them. Make an order and it'll be at your door within 2 days.
post #100 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 PM

well, I've finally read all the posts...I don't think 7strings are going to "fade to black" (hehehE) , eg, here in argentina, a lot of people are starting to try them, because with the 7321 the prices are a lot more "fair" here. my 7 was at 600 U$S, which is 1800 argentinian pesos. don t know about you, but i can afford right now a 1200 U$S 7 string prestige, (although I'd love to), and if you are not sure you are going to get along well with the guitar, some people definetely are NOT going to spend such a sum of money. think about it
post #101 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 AM

you canīt compare 6 with sevens.I started playing 7 string tunings on a 6 string which doesnīt sound like it should...

Now I got 3 sevens and two sixs.

Have you ever played a 6 string tuning on a seven?
With the same string gauge and maybee on another the same tuning with really fat strings?
The seven with normal strings sounds like a 6 and the one with fat strings sounds like a killer seven!!!

Iīm selling one of my six strings(Iceman) now cause I donīt need it anymore.
It sounds ****ty compared with all my sevens....
Iīm keeping the other 6 just because it was my first guitar.Itīs not tuned hanging at a wall.

Also I think almost everybody is playing 6 strings.

Thats why we need something special.

Sevens wonīt die...theyīre too long in business!
post #102 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:28 AM

This is when i opened for E-Town Concrete May 19th. Looking at the guitar in this picture, most people can't tell its this guitar...

http://www.lgmguitars.com/guitars/cu...c/rglacs7.html

I'm sure most people there, especially those who don't play guitar, didn't even know they were hearing a 7 string. It's all about personal preference to the player. Not about "That band is good or bad cause they play 7's."
post #103 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String
10 million hits last month for my website (sevenstring.org) begs to differ with this thread title.

The seven is alive and well.
You just can't argue with that.Factual and to the point!

I'm loving my 7's more than ever. They're always gonna' sound the same (Brutal!!!!!) no matter what's going on with 'guitar-fashion'.I've always preferred being into minority stuff anyway.

If there were only 5 people in the whole World still playing 7's i'd be one of them.I F****n' love 'em.

B to E standard tuning for me too Sepsis, occassionally down half a step.
post #104 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311

This is when i opened for E-Town Concrete May 19th. Looking at the guitar in this picture, most people can't tell its this guitar...

http://www.lgmguitars.com/guitars/cu...c/rglacs7.html

I'm sure most people there, especially those who don't play guitar, didn't even know they were hearing a 7 string. It's all about personal preference to the player. Not about "That band is good or bad cause they play 7's."
Cool pic.
post #105 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM

thanks!

Tags
acoustic amp , death metal , dimarzio blaze , floyd rose , fret neck , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , higher strings , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , les paul , local guitar shop , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , mahogany body , morbid angel , music store , paf pro , playing guitar , rob balducci , rusty cooley , shred machine , steve vai , string acoustic , string bass , string guitars , string section , tony iommi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode