the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

the death of the 7 string - why 7 string popularity is falli

hey guys i was just curious what your thoughts are about the 7 stings popularity going down. Its good in a way for us that use them, but only if production dosnt die off. *Even on this site conversation has cooled off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 11:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the death of the 7 string

I would be interested in seeing sales and marketing info from the manufacturers. Total sales vs forcasted sales of 7-strings and relative sales vs 6-strings. It's been discussed in the old forum but still most chain stores do not have a "7-string wall". Prices are bottoming out but is anyone buying these? ...glen
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:01 AM

The popularity is too great. *So many slackers want to be like the "rockers" of today that 7-strings (mostly POS ones) will make their way into the hands of the youth.

Thankfully, we have guys like Adam Fox, Ken Burtch, Rob Balducci and...what's his name again...that "mystical guy". *LOL *Anyway, these guys will take their 7's to new horizions; not just grunting out stuff in dropped keys with a ton of pedals mucking up the tone.

Look for music stores to create a 7-string section, but not a wall. *Not yet. *
Hell, it's only been 10 years. *
post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:43 AM

Reviews: 3

People think the 7-string is dying.... still... Probably because we have all these uncouth characters endorsing it (Korn, LB, et cetera). *I think there aren't enough guitarists out there to buy all the 7-strings hanging up in the guitar stores. *There's a real overabundance if you ask me. *They are becoming just as regular as a 6-string.

Or am I wrong and the 7-string is fading like DLR's hairline? *Figures... once I get to like the things they aren't cool anymore... I had the SAME problem with my stonewash jeans and snap braclets. *

"If you don't have any place to go, you can run down to Mexico"
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:44 AM

Is it just me, or has it been a realy long time since Steve Vai himself has shown his face in a guitar magazine holding a Universe?... *I know he wants to sell jems, but his lack of appearances with a seven string makes it appear that he's abandoned the instrument... * Does he still use it on his records and in his shows? *
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:04 AM

Check the inside cover of the Ultra Zone CD. *Steve's pictured with UV777PBK #000000. *He was cool enough to give it to Rich Pike for his birthday a couple of years ago.

I'm pretty sure that SSV won't abandon the UV. *He has a lot of time and effort invested in that guitar. *I'd expect to see more 7-string stuff from him in the future.

(Edited by Kevan at 10:56 am on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:23 AM

I don't think the 7-string will depart that quickly. Five- and six-string basses haven't gone anywhere, have they? Musicians who want the extended range will still demand them.

Now, if only Ibanez would give us a bit more range in their 7-string lineup. Current choices are a shred machine (RG), a pseudo-shred machine (S) and a jazz box. We kinda need something in between.

Maybe an exotic wood S7 with a bound fretboard and 4+3 headstock instead of the pointy 7-on-a-side head.
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:31 AM

There will always be 7-string guitars…. IMO. *The demand is higher now than it has ever been. *However, there seems to be a trend starting in the “Hardcore” camp that endorses loosening the strings on your 6-string to achieve the same effect.

Some of the 7-string enthusiasm may fall off in the near future. *I am not distressed about that because I fear the 7 will go away. My concern is variety and innovation. Demand drives invention and innovation. *On the old board I think I made a comparison to “lefty’s” to illustrate what I am trying to say. Us 7-string freaks just won’t have as much variety to choose from… *(If demand ever does fall off.)

Oh well…. I’ll still play ‘em.
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:31 PM

Bob,
People tuning down 6 strings, and ragging on 7 string players, is nothing new. I remember an interview Dino from Fear Factory when he was playing ESP's. He said something to the effect of 7 strings being worthless, he could play everything he needs on a detuned 6. Humm..... Maybe money and free guitars say a lot. Slipknot is another band who has pushed against 7 strings from the getgo. Mick has a few "kind" words for 7 strings...

I think the popularity will fade. Squier is making them now. They will stay around but the days of Dearmond and Squier 7's may be limited...
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:13 PM

I've played a guitar tuned A to A (with a hipshot D tuner at that ) for the last 7 years or so.

I wasn't opposed to 7 strings, I had just never played any that really appealed to me. The UV777BK did appeal to me, played well, sounded good, so I bought it.

I did also like the ESP Stephen Perkins model, *but I preferred the UV more.

I don't think 7 strings will ever die per se, but they will certainly not have the popularity they had originally forever. New things stay trendy for a bit.

As far as heavy bands dissing 7 strings well... I think I can comment on this with some sort of authority since all I've played is really heavy stuff (with bands at least) for the last 10 years or more (and I don't mean Korn heavy; I don't consider Korn very heavy at all).

Guitarists that play primarily heavy music fit into two catagories: the 'cool' type that want to be just that and have the attitude and just bash out the same dozen chords or so all over 4/4 and diss everyone that can actually play. then there's the 'musician' type then likes all sorts of music but just prefers the intensity of heavy musc and trys to bring all of their other influences into it (this would be me).

The 'cool' ones diss the 'musician' ones because they can actually play and it's '80's' to be a good guitarist in a heavy band. Lots of the 'cool' type don't even put all 6 strings on their guitars (a la Max Cavelera; Soulfly, Seplutura, he only uses the top 4, doesn't string the rest).

It's almost more of an image thing. Kind of like how the wave of alternative/Seattle music made musicianship uncool and made it cool to be sloppy.

So they look at 7 strings as unneeded tools for posers that want to play solos.. but what it really boils down to is accusation and prosecution due to lack of skill and fear of someone being better then them.

Not all heavy guitarists are like this, but a large majority of them are; I suppose this could apply to any genre of music tho.

In defense of heavy guitarists (since I am one ), as a group defined by a musical style, they tend to be the nicest group with the smallest egos compared to lots of guitarists I meet.

There's still a large anti-musicianship sentiment in the heavy community, which is really stupid imo, but hopefully they'll grow out of it.

I for one will probably never buy a 6 string again. My eyes have been opened to things that on a 6 string would just kill me to not be able to do.

But this is just me.

Hope my mindless drivel made some sense.
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Wow guys thanks for all the response.. i cant say any of you said things i do not agree with... * *so thanks
luckly i have my favorite 7 the 2027.. ive bought 3 guitars since and still go back to it... its one of those things where i wish i could have 5 of them...

anyway back to playing
peace

buzz
post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:09 PM

They are unique beasts not for everyone, but certainly for me.
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:28 PM

Jeffrey, Great insight into a genera of music that I like, but as an “old guy”, don’t understand very well. *Basically, I don’t have friends that play that style. (Actually, I don’t have many local friends that play at all.)

Owning a 7-string has made me move a little farther in that direction. *It’s a nice complement to my somewhat antiquated “hard rock” attitude.
post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:21 AM

Your never too old I say. Hell, I'm 31 and still do it just because it feels right to me.

Look at Tony Iommi, the godfather of all things heavy, he's in his 50's and just did a new CD with a slew of guest appearences. I'm certainly and old school Black Sabbath fan, so I was very excited to get the CD.

If it feels good to you, what's age got to do with it?
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:50 AM

Agreed Jeffery... *I'm 45 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. *I have been so many things. *Now-days I'm happy to be a 7 string player.

On topic, not only am I a 7-string player, I'm also a client. I'll always buy 'em. *I'm doing my part to preserve the "trend".

Tags
acoustic amp , death metal , dimarzio blaze , floyd rose , fret neck , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , higher strings , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , les paul , local guitar shop , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , mahogany body , morbid angel , music store , paf pro , playing guitar , rob balducci , rusty cooley , shred machine , steve vai , string acoustic , string bass , string guitars , string section , tony iommi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode