Is this a decent RG for the $$ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Is this a decent RG for the $$

I am seriously thinking about buying this later today.
It is not exactly what I want but I can get it with all
accessories and gig bag for $200.00

seller desc:
Up for sale is an Ibanez RG320 from 2001. Everything is stock. It has the Lo-Trs trem. Finish is a satin gray sparkle.
Basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 24 extra jumbo frets. two humbuckers wired volume tone with a five way switch. chrome hardware licensed floyd rose Lo-Trs trem and locking nut.
also says:
I just set up the guitar last night with D'addario 10s. Oiled the fretboard with some fretdoctor and polished the frets. I did find a cover, trem arm and a gigbag.

So guys - what do you think ? He says no neck pocket cracks
and that everything works. I'm thinking with the FloydRose it
might be worth it.

Thank for your input - Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Is this a decent RG for the $$

a pic of the 320

Last edited by 1989RG560CA; 09-28-2010 at 12:45 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Well you are going to want new pickups for it. I'm pretty sure those are the ibanez powersound pickups and yeah they are pretty weak. The lo trs bridge receives a bad rep but I only had one guitar with that bridge and I didn't play it much. I guess it will be fine if you don't do crazy dive bombs with it. I guess down the line you can replace it with a gotoh or original floyd rose. But yeah what i would do is see if i can get him to lower the price a bit more maybe 160?

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm#trs
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 4

I agree with "theshape" pretty much, the accessories aren't really accessories at all, the guitar's finish is pretty boring and the LoTRS lacks longevity due to low grade steel...Had one on my S470BOL and I broke one of the saddles by tightening it down :P... Definitely going to want to replace the pickups...Honestly you have a decent shell there to make something nice, so get the price lowered a bit and you're golden to start your project...Or just save up your money and buy a RG520 off the bay...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

OK - I also have my eye on a minty 2008 xpt300fx for $300.00
I dont think the fixed bridge would bother me.
What about the tone, pickups, 3pc wizard - anyone play one of these have an opinion.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

oops - i meant xp300fx
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: Is this a decent RG for the $$ BOUGHT XPT700 !!

Well I guess that things change. I have always likes the looks of
the XPT700 and made a low offer on the bay and it was accepted.
$405.00 SHIPPED TO ALASKA !! I usually pay 50-100 for shipping
alone. They were asking $550.00 It is Black with Edge III.
Has case,etc,etc. Says near mint and has 7 day return with 100%
rated seller.

What do you guys think - what if anything will I have to mod ?

Last edited by 1989RG560CA; 09-28-2010 at 12:45 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM

Edge III over the lo-trSCAT. You wasted your money though still. I woud have waited on a RG5xx. If you are really serious about guitar, and want to shred on the best bang for buck instument you just made tiny mistake. I have a RG350ex if i could go back i would have saved the money and got a 5xx series. Well, good luck in life i hope my pointers didn't piss you off or anything.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

"Edge III over the lo-trSCAT. You wasted your money though still. I woud have waited on a RG5xx. If you are really serious about guitar, and want to shred on the best bang for buck instument you just made tiny mistake. I have a RG350ex if i could go back i would have saved the money and got a 5xx series. Well, good luck in life i hope my pointers didn't piss you off or anything."

Was this posted in the wrong thread ??? if not, sorry you hated your RG350 ?
I have owned a 560 and am waiting on this XPT700. Anyway thanx ??.......
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:36 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Is this a decent RG for the $$ BOUGHT XPT700 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989RG560CA View Post
Well I guess that things change. I have always likes the looks of
the XPT700 and made a low offer on the bay and it was accepted.
$405.00 SHIPPED TO ALASKA !! I usually pay 50-100 for shipping
alone. They were asking $550.00 It is Black with Edge III.
Has case,etc,etc. Says near mint and has 7 day return with 100%
rated seller.

What do you guys think - what if anything will I have to mod ?
It's got a reverse headstock so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:25 PM

No, i meant what i said. The newer Ibanez's don't match up to the old ones. The Rg5 series pwns the hell out of the Rg3 or anything that has a edge 3 bridge. I don't know if you have tried it and compared them for yourself but i'm sure you will come to the same conclusions.
The RG5's have the smallest necks and best trem system out of any not prestige/signature series ibanez. RG5's are Jem's with out the handle or pick-ups. I would stick to the Rg560 if i were you or maybe get a RG 550/570 if you want the H-S-H pick up combo.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

SHREDder - I agree on the older RG's 100%. Dont know if you noticed my user name or not but yes I have owned a 1989RG560. I absolutely loved it and have missed it. I did not purchase the RG I posted at the start of this thread. I have purchased 3 Ibanez guitars in the last 2 weeks though. One is the XPT700 in this post. I also purchased an ART420 HAM at my local shop last week and I am buying an 89 RG560 from Strangenote.
I have not recievs the XPT yet so no review on that. The ART420 is really nice. It may not be an 80's RG but it is a SWEET guitar. The sound and neck through are killer. I will be posting a review/thread on this when I can get to it. We do agree that the old RG's are a must have for anny Ibby lover. Thank you for your solid advice. I would like to state that Ibanez is still making some amazing new guitars. We nay disagree a little on that. Peace.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM

No, i don't think we disagree on anything I can't believe i didn't pay closer attention to your user name. Feeling pretty dumb right now. Yea Ibanez does have some pretty cool guitars out right now. I like how they kind of brought back the RG5xx series with the new R3xxM's. If only they could make a better trem system or have better necks on those. I think Ibanez needs to re-do their line up. They don't really have mid ranged guitars you either get a low end RG/Gio or a Prestige. There is nothing between that 400-1000 range (unless you get an S class but it isn't the same as the RG).

I know what you mean about the ART series they have a beautiful sound. I owned one for a couple of hours and it was sweet ( i returned it the next day and bought my RG350EX and there is another pointless story about that...)

How much do RG560's normally go for all i see are 550's and 570's? And do you prefer the H-S-S Style?

Also I'm waiting on that Xiphos review. Also didn't Ibanez have a X series with 27 frets?
Love & Peace Dude.

Last edited by ImitationSHREDder; 09-27-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: unfisished thoughts
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah SHRED it would be nice if they could settle the tremolo issues on the lower end guitars. They could use a stronger midrange but with the prices of things these days a good deal on a Prestige is kind of mid range, lol.
I really am loving this ART series. Action is a little high out of the box. Other than that its cool.
I am paying five hundred for an 89 560 in top condition. That seems like a good deal to me. If the color is cool they are worth it for sure. I am buying a Carotene Orange one and that is one of my favs so I grabbed it.
As far as the pup config I loved the sound of my last 560. I am not an expert player by any means so I am not to picky yet about pup config. I had stock ones in my last 560 and thought they were pretty darn good. I may upgrade this after I get it though.
The Ziphos should be here soon and I will post something on it. I think the 27 fret version is like the 700xh or something, not sure but I have enough trouble above the 20th or so anyway, lol.

I think this site is cool, fun to talk to people and hear what they are saying. Thanks for the interest and keep the next ART you buy !!. Peace.

Tags
2001 , 320 , floyd rose , rg320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode