Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Deciding on an RG550

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  caffienated 
#1 ·
Found a 2018 RG550 fully equipped with Dimarzio Evolutions for $750 and was curious if this was a good price? I'm a bit tight on cash so I'd like to ask them to lower it but I don't know how low I could go on a guitar like that to make it a very good deal.

I also wanted to ask how the Dimarzio Evolutions sound with a basswood bodies guitar like the RG550. From what I read, I heard it can be very sharp/shrill and high pitched. My other guitars are a Duncan JB equipped Kramer which I love. I'm into more 80's hard rock (Motley Crue, Van Halen, Ozzy). So I'm not sure if the Dimarzio Evolutions would suit my tastes. If the Evolutions won't be a good fit for me, I may pass on the guitar or ask for a lower price to factor in pickup changed.

Just wanted some second opinions on whether this is a good deal and if it would be able to suit my tonal needs.

Appreciate any input. Thanks

#2 ·
If you’re running a JB already I doubt you’ll find the Evo excessively sharp. I have one in the bridge of a guitar and I was pretty hesitant but I love it - except it’s not a good match for the PAFPro in the neck on that guitar.

As with anything it probably depends on condition. At 2018 I’m assuming this is a Genesis. I’ve got a 2019 and it’s a good guitar. I do prefer my ‘90 but I’m pretty sure it’s just because it’s so well played in.

Pricewise, these seem to be shifting around £650 in the U.K., so $750 with DiMarzios actually sounds pretty good assuming it’s not got issues worse than maybe needing a set up.

#4 ·
A JB is more sharp/shrill sounding than an Evo. Evo has thick mids, the highs and lows aren't that pronounced. The Evo is well suited to 80s rock but if you were to compare it to a Van Halen sound VH's pickups are a lot brighter sounding with less focused mids, more open and lower output.

Don't live in the US but on UK prices that's probably what you'd pay for a used RG550 Genesis without upgraded pickups, so it seems like a great deal.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.