Decisions. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Decisions.

Hey guys

Im looking to get into electric guitar playing, and I'm going to buy an electric guitar primarily for learning. I love the look and sound of Ibanez guitars, so I've decided to get one of theirs as my first.

I have around £300 for the guitar and I would like some recommendations from you guys.

No floydrose or edge III bridges please. fixed bridges only.

i'm looking to play anything and everything, so i want a great clean tone aswell as distorted.

Thanks guys.
-Dreadalert-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Decisions.

Maybe an art100, art300. Could also get something like an RGR 421 EXFM. There is a really nice blue one in the classifides here right now. afireinside7444 is selling it.
Has very nice reverse headstock and fixed bridge. Would be a killer guitar to start out on.

Last edited by 1989RG560CA; 09-28-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: sp
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I'm in England though so I can't really get that..

Anyone else got any suggestions?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Welcome to Jemsite!

Ibanez, fixed bridge, 300 pounds . . . you are basically looking at an ART100 for 300 or the fixed bridge Gio for 170. A Squier Telecaster would be a good fit for your requirements, too, except for the Ibanez part of course.

I started as an adult player with a 2006 ARC100 and it is a great starter guitar for the money. They are Chinese made but well built and perfectly acceptable. Not "great tone", clean or otherwise, but that is really hard to find at that price point. More than good enough for a beginning player to learn what your idea of "great tone" actually is.

Not trying to dissuade you from Ibanez, but it would be a good idea for you to find a store and play everything in your price range that you can get your hands on. Even if you can do nothing more than fret a couple of notes and strum a little, some guitars will just feel better and sound better to you than others. Follow your ears and your hands.

Can you tell us more about your musical interests and level of guitar skill? That will help people make recommendations. Have no fear, we've all been there.

Peace

Mike
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I want to play some stuff like.. Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse and some heavier stuff too like Meshuggah, Cradle of Filth etc.

I saw the Ibanez RGR321EX, and was wondering if that's any good. Love that style of guitar.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM

If you found a style that you 'love' and it test drives ok, buy that one. You will play more and be more excited if you have an instrument that evokes some sort of feeling, love is a pretty good one. If you play more because you dig your guitar you will be better sooner and isnt that what we all want. The RGR321EX would be very respectable to start out on. Also if you dont have one, get a cheap acoustic at a garage sale or something for a little variety when you are learning/practicing. I found a Yamaha FG170
in killer shape with orig case for $40. Fun for picking around on while learning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I have got a REALLY REALLY cheap crappy Acoustic. REALLY bad.

I was thinking of maybe a Squier strat instead or something better suited for all around playing from jazz to metal.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Do you like the s-series? You could look for a used sca220, or maybe sc420, sf470, or 470s.

A good quality used guitar will play better and hold its value better than a brand new junk guitar.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM

'A good quality used guitar will play better and hold its value better than a brand new junk guitar.'

This is good advice. I cant say anything about a Squier but my first electric was some sort of low-end strat copy and I thought it was OK. That is until a few months later I bought my first Ibanez (1989) with a wizard neck and its like night and day. These thin necked Ibby's are for real. So much easier to play than a 'copy' of something high end.
Whatever you decide just play the hell out of it bro.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Having a hard time deciding.. Really not sure what would be best for me.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Reviews: 19

Go play any guitar you can (in your price range as no point teasing with high end) and buy one you like.
Nobody can tell you what you like but we can only suggest good
'bang for your buck" models.
Go window shopping and test drive a few geets and make your own mind up.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
. . . it would be a good idea for you to find a store and play everything in your price range that you can get your hands on. Even if you can do nothing more than fret a couple of notes and strum a little, some guitars will just feel better and sound better to you than others. Follow your ears and your hands.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockme.au View Post
Go play any guitar you can (in your price range as no point teasing with high end) and buy one you like.
Nobody can tell you what you like but we can only suggest good
'bang for your buck" models.
Go window shopping and test drive a few geets and make your own mind up.
There you go.
Every guitar mentioned in this thread will be more than suitable for a beginner. Don't agonize over it, just choose a guitar that appeals to you, even if you don't know exactly why that one calls you, and start to play.

Peace

Mike

Tags
beginner , guitar , starter , £300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode