Definitive(-ish) list of J Customs - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Definitive(-ish) list of J Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The hardest thing with any J Custom is figuring out what neck profile is on it? This one does appear to have the Super Wizard HP, but it's often unstated or vague. Starting in 2005, it's a lot easier because they switched to the same mass produced necks as the Prestige.
Yeah, it's tough to find specifics about any of the pre-'05 neck profiles. For some I found measurements, but even in those cases it can be difficult to determine what profile it was. Of all the info on the wiki, the neck measurement/profile info is maybe the least complete & accurate. That doesn't bother me too much since I know that even between necks on two different examples of a particular model there are variances, so the info provided is a guideline at best. I would assume that the more recent necks are a bit more uniform than the ones from the 80s and 90s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
Yeah, it's tough to find specifics about any of the pre-'05 neck profiles. For some I found measurements, but even in those cases it can be difficult to determine what profile it was. Of all the info on the wiki, the neck measurement/profile info is maybe the least complete & accurate. That doesn't bother me too much since I know that even between necks on two different examples of a particular model there are variances, so the info provided is a guideline at best. I would assume that the more recent necks are a bit more uniform than the ones from the 80s and 90s.
Pre-2005 J Custom necks are difficult to correlate to any mass production neck or profile. There is also the fact that Ibanez uses the name "Wizard" very loosely. Here is what you see in the Japanese catalogs.

1995: Wizard SP, 3-piece maple
1996: Wizard Special, 3-piece maple
1997: J.Custom, 3-piece maple
1998: J.Custom, 5-piece on RG1880, 3-piece on RG1680
1999: same
2000: same

So why did they change the name in 1997? Because the RG3120 came out and they needed to differentiate the Prestige Wizard on that guitar and the J.Custom neck. It's exactly the same neck other than the logo. If you've played a 3120, it's not really a Wizard either. It's basically a thin neck, but the profile is not like a Wizard, but it's closest to that and Wizard is a name that means something to Ibanez customers.

01-04 necks really have the least in common with any production neck. They're just very different, although they nominally are called Wizard and Ultra. The neck on an 8670 is the thinnest neck that had ever been put out. But it doesn't feel that thin because the profile is so different than a Wizard. I had an 8520 for a while and while that was nominally an Ultra, it never felt like that. Probably more like a Jem.

Starting in 2005, the neck is basically what it says it is and would be comparable to a current neck.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 AM

I missed that J custom fan web.

however there is still a web by Taiwanese guitarist Kessier that listing some J customs as well, with a good picture too.

I don't have the url, I must google it to find it.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I missed that J custom fan web.

however there is still a web by Taiwanese guitarist Kessier that listing some J customs as well, with a good picture too.

I don't have the url, I must google it to find it.
Yeah, I'm aware of Kessier Hsu's lists as well and have incorporated them into my research. Unfortunately it seems that his various sites have all disappeared as well. If you find a working link, I'd love it if you'd pass it along.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Really fun lookin' through all these, great work!

Also, this one is so awesome...

Last edited by Leviathus; 10-30-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: pic didn't work
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Really fun lookin' through all these, great work!

Also, this one is so awesome...

Yeah, that Sky finish is pretty incredible. This one was just a one-off AFAIK.

I was blown away by some of the J Customs from the first five or so years. The HRG2001 in particular really floats my boat.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:50 PM

Damn, that things big pimpin'.

The flame body is so clean, no sign of veneereal disease.
DeeJayK likes this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:

I was blown away by some of the J Customs from the first five or so years. The HRG2001 in particular really floats my boat.
Yeah it was a one-off i think 3 or 4 years ago. I forgot which shop got it, possibly Ikebe?
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Quote:
Yeah it was a one-off i think 3 or 4 years ago. I forgot which shop got it, possibly Ikebe?
There was this RG, an RGA and an S with similar finishes. One of each. They weren't made for one retailer. I know Ishibashi got at least one of them, but I can't recall which one. I would bet Ikebe got one of the others.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

There were a couple of those sky/aurora finish ones in Ishibashi in Shibuya in Tokyo a few years back. I don't know if they ever sold or not?
jono is online  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
There was this RG, an RGA and an S with similar finishes. One of each. They weren't made for one retailer. I know Ishibashi got at least one of them, but I can't recall which one. I would bet Ikebe got one of the others.
I know Ishibashi won't get the same number of special runs that they used to now that Jason is gone though. Jason was always the one pushing Ibanezes, and he even got the Shibuya store to make an entire Ibanez section for stuff they have in stock. Before, the used and new ibbies were kept separate, Used guitars in the used section, and there was a high end Ibby section for stuff like Signature models and JCs. Jason had to really fight for the Ibanez only section.
DeeJayK likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
There were a couple of those sky/aurora finish ones in Ishibashi in Shibuya in Tokyo a few years back. I don't know if they ever sold or not?
I just checked, they're gone.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:50 PM

There are some more pics of J-custom here.

Official Kessier Site
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebard View Post
There are some more pics of J-custom here.

Official Kessier Site
I think I've got all of these except for the RRG1502, HRG2802 and a few of the one-offs at the very bottom. If you see any others that aren't on the wiki, please let me know.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I've updated the page to organize all of the J. Customs by series in addition to year.

Check it out: J. Customs portal

Tags
ibanez , j custom , j-custom , j. custom , wiki

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode