Definitive(-ish) list of J Customs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Definitive(-ish) list of J Customs

I've spent a fair amount of time over the past several weeks working on documenting every J Custom model I could find on the Ibanez Wiki.

The result of this effort is this J Custom portal which (as of this moment) includes 192 distinct J Custom models.

I'm aware of a handful of one-offs which are not included in this number (RG-Egypt, RG-Time, RG-Star, etc.) simply because I don't have enough information on any of them to make a credible entry. Also there are at least two Japanese retailer spot models for which I have indications they exist, but again lack sufficient detail to add an article — these are the HRG2802 and the RRG1502, both of which I believe were offered around 1997.

As you can see, several models are lacking images. If you have any photos of these models you'd be willing to share or know of any models that are missing, your assitance would be deeply appreciated.

Now, go check it out and let the GAS begin.
jemsite, jono, peromucho7 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by DeeJayK; 10-28-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:50 PM

Re: Definitive(-ish) list of J Customs

Good work! Turning the chaos of the internet into a comprehensive resource is an impressive feat! You found all of those on Ibanez Wiki? Wow.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

To be clear only a bit over half of these were included on the wiki before I began this little project. I discovered them all over the place, but Jemsite was the source of much of the information. Unfortunately it was all scattered about as you note. It's much more valuable to have it all in one spot.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 AM

Thanks a lot, when it comes to J-Customs, it's quite the jungle.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:22 AM
Vendor

Nice, that was really needed. There used to be a great near complete Japanese data base site with all specs but it went dark about 5 years ago. Takes alot of work to compile all that data.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

That's amazing! I remember Glen doing that sort of thing for the JEM 20 years ago but with a lot less models to work on and a lot less resources to work from
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nice, that was really needed. There used to be a great near complete Japanese data base site with all specs but it went dark about 5 years ago. Takes alot of work to compile all that data.
Yeah J-customweb or something like that. Good site, was sad to see it go.

Looks like you've added a lot more since the last time I looked at this. Great work! There are definitely a ton more of them out there in the Japanese dealer limited run category. Over time I think a fair number of them have been posted on this forum. You may be able to find a lot more here.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Ikebe HRG7 PFG from 2012

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ng...fg-134606.html

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/IBZ_HRG7_2012/

If I start looking through old posts that I've responded to, I bet I'd find a ton.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 08:47 PM

Amazing Job! Well done!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... There used to be a great near complete Japanese data base site with all specs but it went dark about 5 years ago. Takes alot of work to compile all that data.
Yeah J-customweb or something like that. Good site, was sad to see it go.
I think the site you guys are referring to was called "j Custom Fan". It seems to have disappeared around 2012, but thanks to the Internet Archive I was able to find an old version which was a very helpful resource. Unfortunately not every page on the site has been saved, so there are some gaps (like the aforementioned RRG1502 and HRG2802).

Other resources that were helpful were the Ibanez Register (also dead but archived) and some tables on this site containing J-Custom specs.

Quote:
... There are definitely a ton more of them out there in the Japanese dealer limited run category. Over time I think a fair number of them have been posted on this forum. You may be able to find a lot more here.
While I'm certain there are some I have missed (e.g. the one you pointed out below), I'd be a bit surprised if there are "tons" more out there yet to be uncovered. I feel pretty good about the coverage between 1996 and around 2010 (when the main sources I used tended to dry up). I also feel pretty good about the coverage for the last few years. That leaves a period between about 2010–2015 which may have some models that I've yet to discover, but I feel like there have been fewer of these retailer spot models (particularly J Customs) over the past decade. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ikebe HRG7 PFG from 2012

Ibanez j.custom IKEBE Original "RG" HRG7/2012

If I start looking through old posts that I've responded to, I bet I'd find a ton.
Thanks for the info, TaR. I'll get this one added soon.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
I think the site you guys are referring to was called "j Custom Fan". It seems to have disappeared around 2012, but thanks to the Internet Archive I was able to find an old version which was a very helpful resource. Unfortunately not every page on the site has been saved, so there are some gaps (like the aforementioned RRG1502 and HRG2802).

Other resources that were helpful were the Ibanez Register (also dead but archived) and some tables on this site containing J-Custom specs.

While I'm certain there are some I have missed (e.g. the one you pointed out below), I'd be a bit surprised if there are "tons" more out there yet to be uncovered. I feel pretty good about the coverage between 1996 and around 2010 (when the main sources I used tended to dry up). I also feel pretty good about the coverage for the last few years. That leaves a period between about 2010–2015 which may have some models that I've yet to discover, but I feel like there have been fewer of these retailer spot models (particularly J Customs) over the past decade. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.
Yeah, JCustom Fan was the one I was thinking of. That probably does a pretty good job up through 2006. You can cross reference those lists against what you have. When I was thinking of a bunch missing, I think I had in mind more the 2010-15 range you mention. I think there were a bunch of store specials during that time that generally aren't much more than special finishes, but do include things like the HRG7, where they spec'd an Edge trem, where production models were still all in on the Edge Zero.

Thanks again, I'll look through this more thoroughly when I have some time.
DeeJayK likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ikebe HRG7 PFG from 2012

Ibanez j.custom IKEBE Original "RG" HRG7/2012

So I got this one added to the wiki (HRG7), but that Ikebe page with the details on it that you shared demonstrates the frustration of doing this sort of research. The English translation (courtesy of Google) mentions "The original model production of this time reproduced the old model using the current parts based on the model which was produced by 2004." Based on what I know, there were three HRG (Ikebe spot model) J Customs made in 2004 (HRG1, HRG1FM & HRG3), but none of them has similar specs — they're all HSH and have Tree of Life inlays.

The page also consistently refers to this model as the "HRG 7/2012" which would seem to indicate that perhaps there were a previous model with the HRG7 name. But that doesn't make sense to me (at least not in 2004) since they used the HRGx sequence starting with the 2004's HRG1 up through the HRG6 (in 2006). Of course, there's no HRG2 (at least as far as I have found), so maybe that's it?

All this just points to the conclusion that this effort is unlikely to ever be fully complete and comprehensive, but for now I'm pretty confident that it represents the most complete resource available on the web at this point in time.

Last edited by DeeJayK; 10-29-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So I got this one added to the wiki (HRG7), but that Ikebe page with the details on it that you shared demonstrates the frustration of doing this sort of research. The English translation (courtesy of Google) mentions "The original model production of this time reproduced the old model using the current parts based on the model which was produced by 2004." Based on what I know, there were three HRG (Ikebe spot model) J Customs made in 2004 (HRG1, HRG1FM & HRG3), but none of them has similar specs — they're all HSH and have Tree of Life inlays.

The page also consistently refers to this model as the "HRG 7/2012" which would seem to indicate that perhaps there were a previous model with the HRG7 name. But that doesn't make sense to me (at least not in 2004) since they used the HRGx sequence starting with the 2004's HRG1 up through the HRG6 (in 2006). Of course, there's no HRG2 (at least as far as I have found), so maybe that's it?

All this just points to the conclusion that this effort is unlikely to ever be fully complete and comprehensive, but for now I'm pretty confident that it represents the most complete resource available on the web at this point in time.
Dont use google translate. Use me. I am fluent in Japanese. PM me links to look at and I'll help you translate em. Google translate is garbage.
DeeJayK likes this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I think it is called an HRG7/2012. Perhaps since there was such a long hiatus, they felt it was necessary to include the year in the model name? There was also the high end JCRG that started in 2010 with the year in the model name. Who knows what the motivation was? But I think it's safe to assume that there was not a different HRG7 than what you're seeing.

The hardest thing with any J Custom is figuring out what neck profile is on it? This one does appear to have the Super Wizard HP, but it's often unstated or vague. Starting in 2005, it's a lot easier because they switched to the same mass produced necks as the Prestige.

Tags
ibanez , j custom , j-custom , j. custom , wiki

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode