In depth review of the EB/MM JP guitars - Lots of inside inf - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

In depth review of the EB/MM JP guitars - Lots of inside inf

Not sure if this is in the right place, but it's interesting nontheless.

I think some folks will be surprised with the amount of thought that went into it.

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=1611
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 05:20 AM

In depth review of the EB/MM JP guitars

Had to comment on this. *Previously I had some harsh words to say about the new JP, mainly that I thought it was ugly.

Well, surprisingly enough I decided to visit GC yesterday and what did I find at the back of the store? *Ah yes, supposedly the first two and only JP's in Michigan (or so they claimed).

Anyhow, pics don't do the guitar justice - it is quite nice. *But looks aside, the guitar plays and sounds like a montser. *Factory setup on one of them was almost perfect, the second was not bad but the action was a little too high. *The finish on the neck is incredibly smooth - oiled - very cool shape and feel. *The pickups have a very clear and distinct voice, and it is possible to sustain notes for a respectable amount of time, very sweet indeed. *Clean and dirty this guitar sounds great!

The trem was something that I was concerned about, but it is no longer a fear. *It has very smooth movement, and it can do everything the Edge can do - dive bomb, raise a fifth, flutters - all while staying perfectly tuned

Price tested - $1700 (Mystic Dream finish) or $1350 (Pearl Red Burst). *Save youself the $400 bones, the Mystic finish IMHO is not worth it. *Neither of them was Piezo equipped and both were six strings. *The price listed above (suprisingly enough) includes the OHSC - which is uncommon for GC! *The case is something to talk about too!

Would I buy one? *Yes, probably - I quit smoking last week and the money I am saving every day is going to the JP guitar fund. *

And - how cool is this: *JP Shipping! *It's an actual list of JPs that were produced and where they've shipped to! *Kind of makes you think that they actually care about their guitars and that they're not mass produced dollar signs.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 05:21 AM

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the link and the mini-review.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:38 AM

Uh-oh, another convert. :biggrin: *Glad you got play one Kirk. *Some people will love it, others will hate it, but I'm just telling folks they have to try it for themselves and withhold the judgement til then. *I was quite skeptical at first but came away with the same experience you did.

The only dowside to the shipping chart is it is a little behind I think and it obviously doesn't inlude the internationally shipped ones.

I liked that review too and posted it on the www.jpmsite.com a while back because it's so thorough.

Paul
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:29 AM

Thanks Jeffrey...and thanks Kirk for the list...I see there's one in my area. *Looking forward to trying it out.
Greg
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:55 AM

I've had my JPM for about 3 weeks now, and I can't put it down! *I was lucky enough to play a couple of the ones a the NAMM show in January, and I was sold then and there. *But, the production model is a million times better! *I love everything about it, period. *I got the 6-string model with every available option, and it was definitely money well spent! *I've done several gigs with it already, and it's my new main axe. *Sending the piezo's to the board and the DiMarzio's through a Boogie Mark IV sounds heavenly! *I'm sure that there will be many more converts to come...it's just a great guitar. *
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Receptive words about the EB/MM JP guitars??!

:dies:

I should have my JP7 in like, oohh.. 3 months, maybe.

But it'll be worth the wait!

I can easily see it becoming my main guitar. I love my UV and I'll still purchase Ibanez guitars (I still want a VWH and an S-Classic) but I feel this one will be my primary fiddle.

Hell, I may even buy another one when I get my tax return. :biggrin:
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 5

as skeptical as I have been (and as much as I dislike JPs music), I am anxious for a Houston store to get one in. *I say this for two reasons: *

* *the price Kirk quoted sounds a lot better than first word had indicated

* *I hate magazine reviews. *They're always skewed and usually paid for. *For this reason, even for gear I'm negatively biased against, I always like to give it the personal joyride before I make a decision.

Now if Guitar Center would just get their act together and get one, I could try one.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 06:16 PM

Jeffrey, once you've had JPMs you'll never go back! *I don't think I'll ever sell my 7VWH though, it's too pretty...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:24 PM

From what I understand, you'll really have to push GC to order them. *The manager at the Roseville MI store has been actively persuing EB for 4 months now.

The price really shocked me too, especially coming from GC, which means there is probably a better deal to be had.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

I'm just glad that some of the 'skeptics' out there can see that it's not just a Silouhette with a different paintjob, some inlays and a 7th string.

Much more went into it. In all reality, it's an entirely new guitar, the only similiarity to the Silouhette was the fact that it was the starting point for the body design.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 01:33 AM

Reviews: 5

of course, there is always the possibility of liking a signature guitar by a man who's signature style you despise. *How many people actually want to play like Les Paul?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 12:33 am on Sep. 2, 2001
*How many people actually want to play like Les Paul?

Actually... Les Paul was pretty bad ass in his time...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:53 AM

One more note on the models I tried - there was only one indication that it was a JP signature model and that was his signature on the headstock. *These guitars did not have the JP inlays anywhere on them, the had dot inlays and that's all.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , ibanez guitars , les paul , marshall avt , production model , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode