Design your dream Ibanez Rules limited edition guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Design your dream Ibanez Rules limited edition guitar

I'll start. Here's what I want.

Line: j.custom
Model: RGA
Neck type: j.custom Wizard HP 5-piece maple/walnut w/KTS rods
Body: mahogany w/ top, thick top ideally
Fretboard: bound ebony with offset MOP dots (like this Electric Guitars OTHERS - JCRG16C01 j.custom | Ibanez guitars )
Fret: Jescar 55095-S (basically 6105 stainless)
Bridge: Lo Pro or Edge
Neck Pickup: DiMarzio PAF Pro
Middle Pickup: DiMarzio True Velvet
Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio EVO 2
Hardware color: depends on finish, same with pickup color
Finish: must be gloss, should be a burst of some kind if a maple top. The old DBK burst looks nice.

Notes: I think something like a DBK finish with cream pickups and gold hardware could look nice. HH pickup config could also work with JS wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Re: Design your dream Ibanez Rules limited edition guitar

1. RG 550 / genesis- based.
LNG finish
matching dot inlays
black pickguard
black V series pickups set.
black hardware

2. RG 655 based
maple neck, abalone center dots
flame maple top body ( veneer), no binding.
white pearl pickguard
HSS config, white pickups set, preferably seymour duncans.
chrome hardware
gloss natural finish

3. RG 570/ genesis based.
maple neck
reversed headstock, matching colors
H-S , black pickups set, preferably dimarzio
black hardware
matching dot center inlays
DY finish.

I play within the rules, I think all those three still have relation to their current production line.
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Reviews: 21

I'm a greedy bastage so I'll do a 2 in 1 for my guitar

Line: Prestige / Premium
Model: RG
Neck type: Prestige Wizard (the thicker one not the current super wizard) on the Prestige / Premium Wizard on the Premium version
Body: basswood
Fretboard: maple with black dots
Fret: standard jumbo frets
Bridge: Gibraltar Standard 2 on the Prestige / Tight End R on the Premium version
Neck Pickup: DiMarzio PAF Pro
Middle Pickup: DiMarzio HS3
Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio Tone Zone
Hardware color: cosmo black on Prestige / black on Premium
Finish: metallic orange w creme pickups on the Prestige. fire engine red or grabber blue with white pickups on Premium

Now if I had to guess what Rich would do....

Line: Prestige
Model: RG
Neck type: Prestige Super Wizard HP 5-piece maple/walnut w/KTS rods
Body: basswood
Fretboard: maple with abalone dots
Fret: standard jumbo
Bridge: Lo Pro or Edge
Neck Pickup: DiMarzio Air Norton
Middle Pickup: DiMarzio True Velvet
Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio Tone Zone
Hardware color: cosmo black
Finish: here's the rub... LNG, DY, black, and white swirl

Last edited by mike570; 01-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM

I'll play, but I'll keep it pretty straight forward and just bring up some finishes combinations I'd like to see that they're already doing. I'll add that every Prestige model needs to be offered in fixed and locking trem and bring the stainless frets and luminescent inlays to the Prestige line. Might as well add the SAANJ while you're at it.

RG

Birdseye Maple(Heavy on the birdseye and marbling)
Mahogany body with Silky Oak Top
Pearl White Metallic like the RGD finish, but make it transparent and glossy
Chrome hardware

If I'm getting custom with this I'd like to have the RGD body in 25.5 scale and S-Tech Roasted Maple neck with SAANJ, but looking at the radius of those AZ necks I doubt they work with an Egde or LoPro. I guess I'd be stuck with a fixed bridge and that's fine.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Or

Same as above with a quilted maple top with exposed binding and the Ghost Fleet Blue Burst finish.

Some matching inlays would be cool on each.

Last edited by Frankhenrylee; 01-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 1

RG3120 style. Mahagony body, flame maple top in GREEN with matching heastock, Wizard maple neck with rosewood board and oval abalone inlays like the early 90's 540s. Tone Zone, True Velvet, Air Norton combo. Lo Pro Edge trem. Gold hardware. Simple, affordable.
metalhead52 is online  
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM

I like the idea of a tricked RG3120
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Reviews: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
RG3120 style. Mahagony body, flame maple top in GREEN with matching heastock, Wizard maple neck with rosewood board and oval abalone inlays like the early 90's 540s. Tone Zone, True Velvet, Air Norton combo. Lo Pro Edge trem. Gold hardware. Simple, affordable.

I'm thinking the final design might really look like this now that I'm reading this.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM

Ok here is mine.

1. Line Prestige
Model: RG657 Based or RG2570
Body:Basswood
Finish:Black glossy
Neck:Super Wizard 5pc, Maple/Walnut
Fret board: Ebony with offset ghost Sharktooth inlay

*Pickups

All black cover black pole pieces
Neck Pickupi Marzio Air Norton.
Middke Pickup: True Velvet
Bridge: Steve's special

True Black hardware not cosmo black.

Lo Pro Edge Bridge

Line Prestige
Model: RG652 based
Body:Mahogany quilted maple top
Finish:Transparent blue
Neck:Super Wizard 5pc, Maple/Walnut
Fret board: RoseWood with offset small pearl dot inlay

*Pickups
Neck:Evo
Bridge Evo

Black Hardware
Edge Bridge.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
This guitar sort of exists. An HRG7/2012

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/IBZ_HRG7_2012/

There was one for sale on I think Reverb not too long ago
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM

OK this is easy.

Prestige, RG style mahogany body, 25.5" scale, HH, Low pro edge, LNG, roast maple neck/board, stainless frets, offset abalone (type) small dot inlays, EVO at bridge position, AANJ, matching headstock, but with a few minor stipulations...

Neck pocket without a visible canyon.
Trem mounted parallel to routing front edge, not on the p*ss.
String retainer bar installed parallel to the nut and centrally, not on the p*ss or off to one side as usual.
Neck pickup mounted centrally and parallel to fretboard in its routing, not on the p*ss.
Option for sustainiac.
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Actually, sod it, I know it'll cost more than a Prestige but this'll do: https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikeb...orestGreen.jpg

Edge bridge but no string retainer bar?

Last edited by chris101; 01-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
This guitar sort of exists. An HRG7/2012

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/IBZ_HRG7_2012/

There was one for sale on I think Reverb not too long ago
Very rarely see green finishes and like the idea of bringing back the abalone oval inlays for Richs' anniversary guitar to make it unique to what has been overdone the last 15 years. More of an American Master style. Wouldn't he be considered the "American Ibanez Master"?
metalhead52 is online  
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM

Just hoping he can keep it around the $1500-$1700 price range just to be affordable for more people and could easily do at least a 50 piece run and sell them all.
metalhead52 is online  
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:44 PM

This thread would make more sense if the title said, "Design your dream Ibanez limited edition guitar." I know why the title refers to Ibanez Rules but I am quite certain Rich wants nothing to do with our dreams. With that said, if 12 people have the same dream Ibanez, and are willing to commit money to it, Rich would probably be a good person to tell. Until that day arrives, you are allowed to think outside the box. Just a thought.
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Vendor

If any 6 people could agree on one thing that would mean I could probably sell 100 of them

This would probably be a good place to repost this -

I'm going to lay out some, on the boundaries and issues with props and the current state of the guitar market in general. None of which I wasn't told I couldn't talk about, and I donít see any as sensitive information so, truth is the truth..

Ebony is out, they use very little of it, don't have a lot of it, want to keep it exclusive to what has it [but possible my demand that absolutely no cracks could be present might have affected the refusal].

Very little Premium rosewood exists at Fujigen, and the current rosewood market has much more lower visual grade, just like ebony, it's still the same wood, still sounds and feels the same, but it's got some light color to it, that's why they've gone to the stained boards, which I don't mind a bit. 95% of the ebony has been stained since Taylor took control of the global ebony market. But until some relief comes with a vote next year things are not going to be great as far as rosewood is concerned going forward.

The order number in the US is 12, if it's approved, which in part is - will they build the specs, and the second is, the actual order number is 20. Fujigen's minimum to make any particular spec is 20 pieces. Japan works to sell off the other 8 to other markets, starting at home with Ikebe etc, then reaching out, maybe 4 go to Meinl, maybe 4 go to the UK, etc.

When the dealer commissions the prop he has the exclusive in the US for that spec, but there are another 8 of them being sold somewhere else in the world. When I was talking to Nick he said they made him buy 20 the last run and didn't understand why, I would speculate itís because Japan couldn't sell the other 8, so he either had to buy the whole run to do it, or it wasn't approved. So the approval process is a little more involved than any of you probably understood, or I until I started fully investigating what the boundaries are.

The prop program is not designed to be a full on custom shop where you can choose any spec you want. Originally you were told to look at whatís in the Euro catalog and Japan, at the regular production catalog models, and if it wasnít available in the US, you could order it. Theyíre making them already, Ibanez will order the 20 as they already have a market for the other 8. Then they started to allow you to put any finish that was already being used, in the country you were having the guitar made [you canít put an Indo finish on a Japanese guitar], on any other model, and now theyíve allowed reversing the headstock but [I am speculating] only if they sell the other 8. No matter how much we want to think outside the box, they want us to color between the lines, but are willing to work with you on some things. They do want to sell guitars, but they donít want to start a runaway full on custom shop. Unless, youíre willing to commit to doing J Customs, which is a full on Custom Shop, but then the numbers start to get prohibitive.

Just so you have a better understanding of how this is supposed to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode