The desire to tinker. Like GAS but different. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 21
The desire to tinker. Like GAS but different.

I'm not sure if this goes here.
I really dig my RG921 as-is; stock. But I find myself continuously fighting off the desire to mess with it, notably to change out the pickups. I dig the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups but sometimes consider switching them out. My other RG's have a Tone Zone bridge with some other neck combo or Evos. I liked the V1/V2's that came stock on my 20th RG and I was dumb to switch them out as the guitar never sounded the same way after taking them out and putting them back in.
There's also other mods I've considered on the RG921 or other RGs like refinishing.
Anyone have any stories of guitars you wish you hadn't messed with? Or experience something similar in terms of resisting the urge to mod your axe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 PM

Re: The desire to tinker. Like GAS but different.

Well Mike, It's not 'my guitar' until I mod it.
It's my regulation.

The very minor mod is pickup change.
the major mod : large scale face-off surgery.

the only guitar I did not mod : my J custom RG 9670. I'm dying to see it with cream pickups combo, but I hold my self from touching it. So i'll leave the black stock combos on it.

Now I'm toying with idea of refinishing my RG 655 FSO. it's crazy really...
To safe the 655 from total annihilation, I need to find myself a decent RG 550 to mess with.
Because I think I need some 'strat looking" RG , like this :
black, white pickguard, HSS, white pickups combo, maple neck, unfinish headstock, chrome hardware.

It's my bad habit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 AM

I have certainly done my fair share of tinkering, but in the end I make sure I will get out what i have in it. If not i sell it.

That said i have a baker b1 plus that i bought thinking that i got the year model before baker sold to ed roman but it is in fact made under ed roman. I only paid 500 for it, which isn't bad for an american made PRS copy. I am currently in the process of stripping finish off. It was trans vintage amber, which i really have come to not like and the neck had a gloss finish. I prefer natural finish necks. I will never get 500 back out of it but It has taught me some valuable information on stripping finishes, working with binding and general luthiery. We'll see how it turns out.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 AM

I had a DY Jem that was a bit of a player and I wanted to try and touch up some chips and buff out all the swirls. I ended up making everything much worse. That was a bad learning experience.

I have another guitar where I swapped the decent condition pickguard to a different guitar and ultimately found out that replacing it on the guitar that needs it was basically impossible. Still working on trying to get a custom replacement for that one.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:46 PM

I took the V7/V8 out of RT650 to try some other stuff. Sold them to my friend. Only afterwards did I realise how much I liked them. Plus the V7/V8 combo in white isn't easy to come by.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 PM

Reviews: 2

OMG...... don't get me started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode