Did any of you have to get used to your Wizard neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Did any of you have to get used to your Wizard neck?

I recently purchased an RG guitar, and it's really a well made instrument (Prestige Wizard neck). The neck, however, is a bit wider than I'm used to. I'm feeling like I should give it a few weeks before I decide it isn't for me, hoping I will be able to adjust to it.

Did any of you have a tough time with this neck, but eventually acclimated to it ergonomically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Re: Did any of you have to get used to your Wizard neck?

If you're a thumb-hooker then it'll never suit you, Wizard type necks only really suit technique-oriented players who play with their thumb behind the neck, it's no real use for open chords either, the fingerboard is too flat, this is why Telecasters exist.
jemsite likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:33 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGTG View Post
I recently purchased an RG guitar, and it's really a well made instrument (Prestige Wizard neck). The neck, however, is a bit wider than I'm used to. I'm feeling like I should give it a few weeks before I decide it isn't for me, hoping I will be able to adjust to it.

Did any of you have a tough time with this neck, but eventually acclimated to it ergonomically?
If you don't like it before the "return date" then just return it. Sure you can possibly accommodate but the real question is why would you want to and is it worth it. Only you can decide that but as stated above it's probably both wider and flatter than you're used to and has severe limitations unless you are a technique based player.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Yep that thing is strictly for shredding, unless you have one of those freaky long pinky fingers to be able to hit damn Barre chords. I have an RG 520qs, but I hardly play it. It's on the market cuz of that. I play my old roadstar 2 most of the time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
If you're a thumb-hooker then it'll never suit you, Wizard type necks only really suit technique-oriented players who play with their thumb behind the neck, it's no real use for open chords either, the fingerboard is too flat, this is why Telecasters exist.
I hook my thumb over the top all the time. My only gripe with seven strings is I can't catch those same root notes over the top like on a six.

The Fireman neck takes me about ten minutes to warm up to. I started on original wizard young I guess.
24 3/4" scale in general is odd for me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM

If you like the guitar i'd give it some time, the more you play it the more natural the neck will feel then you'll know. I've certainly never had any problems hitting big chords on a flatter radius and always have my thumb over the neck, everyone's technique/hands vary.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm a thumb hooker too, and I've not ever had a problem on a Wizard type neck. It's always going to depend on someones fingers/hands, and how they play.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 PM

No doubt it's fast & smooth, but I have a real short pinky with tendon damage, & my index finger has tendon damage, so I can't keep it as flat as I want for many Barre chords. Although the wizard 2 has the same radius it feels better than the wizard to me. Conversely I'm not a big fan of strat necks for bends, but chords are hell of a lot easier. The compromise is my roadstar 2. 12" radius c shape just feels right.
FireEagle likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I am a thumb hooker, and it wasn't long before I started to get pain in my hand (I have smaller than average hands). I am attempting to adjust my left hand technique to suit this fine guitar. I may be fine if I give it a couple weeks.

One other thing: I find I have to really apply pressure with my picking palm to mute the strings effectively. Otherwise, I get a lot of noise as I run scales.

Is that typical? Maybe it has to do with the fact I'm used to Floyd rose style and this Edge is situated differently?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:41 PM

The Edge trems are actually a little lower profile than FR. Perhaps you might try bringing the body up a little. Muting strings is easier if the guitar isn't slung too low.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 AM

It took me 6 months to get used to my first Wizard neck, but now I never think about it. In fact, when I got a Nitro Wizard, that was too fat and round.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Until I got my S970, I mainly played Stratocasters. I had no trouble getting used to the neck. I play both rhythm and lead and both are easy on this neck including barre chords. I can switch back and forth between the guitars without issue. I perhaps have larger hands than the OP? I think I prefer the Wizard neck on the Ibanez. It's become my #1 guitar.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbaNose View Post
Until I got my S970, I mainly played Stratocasters. I had no trouble getting used to the neck. I play both rhythm and lead and both are easy on this neck including barre chords. I can switch back and forth between the guitars without issue. I perhaps have larger hands than the OP? I think I prefer the Wizard neck on the Ibanez. It's become my #1 guitar.
Modern Strats have a 12" radius and a fairly thin neck so I'm not surprised the S970 feels good.

Fender are hamstrung by tradition, modern Strats really ought to have a compound radius by now and a better trem system since they own all the necessary brands. Let the vintage idiots have the re-issue stuff with the baseball bat necks and frets like fusewire.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Modern Strats have a 12" radius and a fairly thin neck so I'm not surprised the S970 feels good.

Fender are hamstrung by tradition, modern Strats really ought to have a compound radius by now and a better trem system since they own all the necessary brands. Let the vintage idiots have the re-issue stuff with the baseball bat necks and frets like fusewire.
They are compound radius. The two-point trem is foolproof. No issues like you mention at all.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM

I mainly only use my Ibby for rythmics, chords and trem things.
Too thin, big width and big radius for me. Also the wizard I have is special because it has 6230 frets, really small ones that arent my cup of tea for soloing.
I still keep it because it sounds and looks great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode