Did the Gibson 339 idea come from the Ibanez AM series? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Did the Gibson 339 idea come from the Ibanez AM series?

I heard this theory from a Gearpage forum on small semi-hollowbody guitars.

Is that true and if so, did Ibanez ever try to sue those Gibson guys back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Re: Did the Gibson 339 idea come from the Ibanez AM series?

I hate to play devils advocate but IMO Gibson had a good reason to sue Ibanez (*and others) for directly coping their LP design. While I dont know the details of the suit or outcome I see a HUGE amount of people copying the work others did for their own gain. Its disrespectful and it pisses me off.....

The 339 is basically a 335, and made from the 50s. Chuck B and BBK and other artist would stuff towels, balloons in their 335s to stop feedback and stage performers wanted a slightly smaller body, and from what I understand the reason they made the 339.

As far as Ibanez suing Gibson.....
I can count at least 10 things on the AM that Gibson did first.

~JH
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
I hate to play devils advocate but IMO Gibson had a good reason to sue Ibanez (*and others) for directly coping their LP design. While I dont know the details of the suit or outcome I see a HUGE amount of people copying the work others did for their own gain. Its disrespectful and it pisses me off.....

The 339 is basically a 335, and made from the 50s. Chuck B and BBK and other artist would stuff towels, balloons in their 335s to stop feedback and stage performers wanted a slightly smaller body, and from what I understand the reason they made the 339.

As far as Ibanez suing Gibson.....
I can count at least 10 things on the AM that Gibson did first.

~JH
That's why I said sue back. Gibson went after Japanese makers first and rightly so back in the 1970s. But it does appear the small sized semi-hollowbody was something I first saw with the Ibanez AM thirty years ago.

But maybe somebody else had a small bodied, double cutaway semi, but I can't think of anybody else. Gretsch had a great smallish Les Paul type shaped semi without f-holes in their great Duo Jets many years earlier and I think that's the first semi of its type in a small format. The lack of f-holes probably aided it in fighting feedback. The hollow chambers made is much lighter than Gibson's Les Paul model.

The 335 was made in 1958, probably the most inventive year for Gibson who also had the now iconic cherry sunburst finish for the once gold topped Les Paul, the Flying V, and the Explorer.

What would be cool, from Ibanez, Gibson, Epiphone, or somebody else would be something akin to an Ibanez Artcore AM73 but with no f-holes. The entry of Ibanez last year of the AMF model had two hollow chambers but only one f-hole. A no f-hole model, akin to Gibson's Lucille, but small like the Ibanez AM would be really cool and probably take quite a bit of volume before feeding back.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
But maybe somebody else had a small bodied, double cutaway semi, but I can't think of anybody else.

Considerably smaller/thinner then they look (not much bigger then an SG if you were to look at them side by side). I dont know how they would size up with a 339 or AM however.

And....

While I dont know if it ever went into production I heard PRS was working on a 'no hole' semi hollow. My PRS guitar body seem radically smaller then other guitars I own (*not hollow).

~JH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Considerably smaller/thinner then they look (not much bigger then an SG if you were to look at them side by side). I dont know how they would size up with a 339 or AM however.

And....

While I dont know if it ever went into production I heard PRS was working on a 'no hole' semi hollow. My PRS guitar body seem radically smaller then other guitars I own (*not hollow).

~JH
I forgot about those guys, who also made the first real production electric guitar (the frying pan) though Les Paul with his "log" from later on in the 1940s, or Leo Fender with his spring 1950 Esquire later renamed Broadcaster are usually mentioned.

The 360 is a great guitar and though not a great lead player, is a great rhythm guitar along with 360-12s.

I don't know if the oldest Ricky 360 predates the Gretsch Duo Jet, but the 360 does have the f-hole.

But in its shrunken down 335 format, I think outside of a custom made luthier, Ibanez was the first mass produced small version which eventually saw a very similar ES-336 and ES-339 years later from Gibson. The key features of the original AM, which I would hope to be legally defensible, was the much greater elimination of feedback yet retaining a wood sound, and the much lighter weight.

That being said, I picked up a Heritage H535 the other day which is almost as big as a 335 but thinner than most, and still lighter than the smaller bout Ibanez AM. I think the H535 is severely chambered but I can't find stats on that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM

Mr. 63Blazer,

All due respect you need to get some wood and tools together and start building guitars!
LOL!

Truth be known I would love to have another semi hollow.....but know I would spend most of my time wiping the dust off of it every few months or so!

~JH
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mr. 63Blazer,

All due respect you need to get some wood and tools together and start building guitars!
LOL!

Truth be known I would love to have another semi hollow.....but know I would spend most of my time wiping the dust off of it every few months or so!

~JH
That particular guitar seems to be the most difficult to make with both arched top and back, binding, and set in neck. I wish I could make one of those.

Among my solidbody and semihollowbody, the solidbody seems to get played 90% percent of the time. I like many hollowbodies and semis I see in the stores and online, but they too wouldn't get much play. But that Heritage H535 I played the other day could easily become my #1 guitar. It was kind of quirky with a very thin body and kind of chunky neck closer to a Gibson 50s neck than the more sleek 60s Jimmy Page neck.

Most players I know gravitate to one guitar, if they are serious and completely depend on getting to know a neck like an extension of their body. In 40 years of playing I have never met anyone who has two guitars they use equally and that fact has helped me get over GAS. I hear you about guitars that come in with good intentions but then end up collecting dust. John Scofield doesn't even play either the semi-hollowbody Scofield model or the smaller Les Paul sized Scofield model that much if at all but pretty much plays a stock AS-200 that the Scofield model is based on. For a one guitar person or person who gravitates to just one guitar, the small bodied Epiphone ES-339 Ultra seems to be a great guitar utilizing feedback control in small body, getting woody tones if needed, and getting acoustic tones with piezo pickup. Gibson will probably come out with an expensive piezo version one day of the 339. Having multiple guitars clutters my house and mind and has always made me a less focused, and frankly worse player.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-03-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode