Did Ibanez cheap out with their stock pickups? [no, they're DiMarzio made for Ibanez] - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Did Ibanez cheap out with their stock pickups?

I was thinking about how Ibanez used to include REAL DiMarzio pickups as stock pickups on a lot of models, like the RG3120 and a few others. It seems like even the really high end Prestiges come with those Ibanez/ DiMarzio pickups rather than real DiMarzios, like a Tone Zone, Steve's Special, etc.

From what I understand, only J. Customs come equipped with genuine DiMarzio pickups. So, what's up with Ibanez? Did they cheap out in the past couple of years on pickups or what?

Last edited by TheJazzTerminator; 08-12-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Re: Did Ibanez cheap out with their stock pickups...?

I don't know, but it would surely seem as if that's the case. I've kinda been wondering about the same issue. I know their DiMarzio/Ibanez pickup's are based on the REAL DiMarzio's such as the Paf Pro and Tone Zone.
post #3 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:30 PM

Yes, they did...
post #4 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:32 PM

I'm sure some will say "They are still made by Dimarzio in their factory" etc etc, but it sure seems like they are cheaping out. If they weren't getting them cheaper they wouldn't have changed now would they? And if they are getting them cheaper it probably isn't because Dimarzio just likes them sooo much...
post #5 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Maybe they're still made by DiMarzio (not even sure about that), but they're also all the same. For example, the 3120 came with a Tone Zone and a PAF Pro, which are both different pickups.

All the high end Prestiges come with the SAME pickups... in both the neck and bridge positions.
post #6 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Dee

Listen, why does anyone see it as a bad thing? For starters, the IBZ/ DiMarzio pickups are GOOD, and secondly, it helps to keep the costs down, meaning that the kind of people here who are enthusiasts will most likely change the pickups anyway. By changing the stock "cheap" pickups to whatever you want (and we all want different things) it's no major thing. What Ibanez lacks in high-end pickups, they make up for in cost. Simple.

What would you rather do; have Ibanez put something like PAF Pro or Tone Zone's in there, then feel like you're wasting your money by changing them out, or live with them and not get truly what you want, or swap the stock *very usable* IBZ's with something better when you can afford to?
post #7 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 PM

I'd say they did.
post #8 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Listen, why does anyone see it as a bad thing? For starters, the IBZ/ DiMarzio pickups are GOOD, and secondly, it helps to keep the costs down, meaning that the kind of people here who are enthusiasts will most likely change the pickups anyway. By changing the stock "cheap" pickups to whatever you want (and we all want different things) it's no major thing. What Ibanez lacks in high-end pickups, they make up for in cost. Simple.

What would you rather do; have Ibanez put something like PAF Pro or Tone Zone's in there, then feel like you're wasting your money by changing them out, or live with them and not get truly what you want, or swap the stock *very usable* IBZ's with something better when you can afford to?
I entirely disagree. Your point would make sense IF the higher end models were cheaper than they were with the real DiMarzios.

However, the simple fact is that all the higher end models come with DiMarzio/ Ibanez pickups AND are more expensive. The RGT320Q goes for about $1,900; the RGA321 goes for about $1,500, etc. Only a couple of years ago, the RG3120 came with a Tone Zone and a PAF pro (later was switched to two PAF's) and was sold for the same price.

I'd rather buy a new Ibanez that came with two awesome pickups (like Tone Zone and PAF) rather than pay the same amount (or MORE!) and pay for AVERAGE pickups, like the DiMarzio/ Ibanez pickups and have to switch them out.

As it is, I paid $1,500 for my RGA321FSPB and another $100 or so for a Tone Zone w/ installation, and if I bought a RGT320Q, I'd have to do the same thing.

They've cheaped out. It's obvious.
post #9 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post
I entirely disagree. Your point would make sense IF the higher end models were cheaper than they were with the real DiMarzios.

However, the simple fact is that all the higher end models come with DiMarzio/ Ibanez pickups AND are more expensive. The RGT320Q goes for about $1,900; the RGA321 goes for about $1,500, etc. Only a couple of years ago, the RG3120 came with a Tone Zone and a PAF pro (later was switched to two PAF's) and was sold for the same price.

I'd rather buy a new Ibanez that came with two awesome pickups (like Tone Zone and PAF) rather than pay the same amount (or MORE!) and pay for AVERAGE pickups, like the DiMarzio/ Ibanez pickups and have to switch them out.

As it is, I paid $1,500 for my RGA321FSPB and another $100 or so for a Tone Zone w/ installation, and if I bought a RGT320Q, I'd have to do the same thing.

They've cheaped out. It's obvious.

x2 you nailed it on the head.. Its a cost move. If im paying $1900 for a guitar it better damn well come with good name brand pickups not a mixture of something thats fine for most people.. I mean if say Schecter can put "Real" Duncans in a guitar thats $800 why cant Ibanez put "Real" Dimarzios in one costing more that 2x as much
post #10 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 AM

I just pulled the Alnico duncans out of my Ibanez and put in the stock V7 and the V8's. The ibanez's sounded better to my ears. Ive NEVER hated them, and they work great for me, and provide the flexability I need (especially when using the 5 way switch)

Cheaping out? Not at all, because we save by not buying expensive duncan and dimarzio's. IF you want em, easy enough to swap out! But I sure like em, and they are staying in my RGA121 now!
post #11 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:47 AM

Reviews: 6

gemini... I agree about the V7 however, you could do better than the V8 in your RGA... the bridge Dimarzio/IBZ is in fact way better as is a TZ.
post #12 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Obviously pickup taste varies from guitarist to guitarist. To be honest, I'd rather have them equipping guitars with mediocre stock pickups such as the V7/V8 combo since I'd swap them out anyway, even if they're original DiMarzios [EDIT: unless it's the model I want].

Last edited by Planeflux; 08-06-2006 at 10:52 AM.
post #13 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Dont forget Ibanez could put proper dimarzios in their guitars a lot cheaper than i could (buying in bulk, direct from dimarzio, not paying for fancy packaging etc.).

So, i dont agree with the 'it doesnt matter, i can swap them myself' argument. It might cost me E200 to buy a new set of dimarzios, but would probably only add E50 to the price of the guitar if they came with it.
post #14 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Dont forget Ibanez could put proper dimarzios in their guitars a lot cheaper than i could (buying in bulk, direct from dimarzio, not paying for fancy packaging etc.).

So, i dont agree with the 'it doesnt matter, i can swap them myself' argument. It might cost me E200 to buy a new set of dimarzios, but would probably only add E50 to the price of the guitar if they came with it.
I think they would artificially raise the price on a guitar with a DiMarzio or Duncan label in the description. Just compare the price between a Prestige and a Dimarzio-equipped Prestige.
post #15 of 225 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post

Sure, but would you be completely happy with them? Take the TZ, for example -- if you like the pickup, cool, but some people don't like that pickup and it might not be the DiMarzio model they would choose to retro-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeflux View Post
Obviously pickup taste varies from guitarist to guitarist. To be honest, I'd rather have them equipping guitars with mediocre stock pickups such as the V7/V8 combo since I'd swap them out anyway, even if they're original DiMarzios [EDIT: unless it's the model I want].
This is exactly what I'm saying. Planeflux' post is a good example.
Closed Thread

Tags
air norton , air nortons , alexi laiho , amp combo , blue velvet bridge , body shape , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , bridge pup , coil mode , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , dimarzio super distortion , duncan designed , eddie van halen , ernie ball , evolution pickups , floyd rose , george benson , high gain amp , high output pickups , hollow body , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez pickups , jason becker , jem pickups , john petrucci , john scofield , killer guitar , kramer guitars , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , marshall valvestate , neck pickup , neck position , output pickup , paf pro , paf pros , pat metheny , pickup combination , pickup combo , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , production model , ron thal , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , signature guitar , steve morse , steve vai , string pickup , super distortion , swamp ash , tone zone , tone zone bridge , van halen , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode