Did Ibanez ever make a Prestige RG3120 in a natural finish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Did Ibanez ever make a Prestige RG3120 in a natural finish or with a Koa top?

I've been thinking of buying a 3120 for a while now, but the one that has my interest most I can't find any evidence of in any Ibanez catalog. It's a 2001 and the looks and features are pretty much identical to any other 3120 I've ever seen with the exception of the top and the finish, and some owner mods (new switch, and neck pickup isn't a PAF pro).

Instead of one the standard colors (DR, TW, VV) it's a natural finish that is closer in color to what I've seen on the 2120 with the Koa tops, and is a darker brown, with less of a red hue than the VV finish.

In regards to the top, it's also different in that, while it does have some flame in the center of the body that goes from side to side, most of the figuring in the wood is a very nice natural grain that radiates out from the center of the guitar and runs longways on the body of the guitar (more similar to what you'd see on one of the RGA121s).

Does this sound at all familiar to anyone here? Could it be that it's not a 3120, but some other Prestige?

I'm a sucker for Ibbys with natural finishes, and this one's giving me some serious wood "wood", but I'd be ordering from overseas, and with so many fakes out there I'm always skeptical about anything I can't positively ID in a catalog.

Any help appreciated!

Edit: here are some images

Last edited by DaylightDies; 05-09-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Re: Did Ibanez ever make a Prestige RG3120 in a natural finish?

I think it's a RGT3120 with a neckthrough that's natural finish. Someone had one in the classified not too long ago.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Re: Did Ibanez ever make a Prestige RG3120 in a natural finish or with a Koa top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I think it's a RGT3120 with a neckthrough that's natural finish. Someone had one in the classified not too long ago.

It has a bolt on neck, so no RGT here.

Looking at it now, I'm wondering if it could be a Koa top. I had dismissed the thought that it could actually be a 2120 because I thought they all had piezo's which this one clearly does not, but then I found out about the RG2120KKB which doesn't have the Piezo and has a flamed Koa top.

Now I realize it's not that either. It doesn't have the Koa headstock overlay, and instead has the standard Prestige neck w/ black headstock you'd find on an RG3120. Along with that, the top is around the same thickness you would see on one of the newer J-Customs, whereas any example of the 2120kkb seems to have a thicker top.

So I'm thinking that my question may actually be does anyone know if they ever made an RG3120 with a Koa top?

Last edited by DaylightDies; 05-09-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: correction
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Vendor

Scroll down

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2005...a_prestige.htm
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks Rich, I think my thread has turned into a "help identify this guitar more than staying related to my original question. I scoured your site to see if I could find a match before posting with no luck. Serial number dates this one to 2001 before the re-release of the 3120.

I'm negotiating a price on the guitar now, and he's actually a guitar maker in Korea so I'm not sure if this is actually a production Ibanez, or if it's a stripped and refinished 3120, or what it actually is. Something doesn't feel right, so I'm adding some photos to my original post to see if anyone can help me ID it.

Thanks to all.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Vendor

Looks like a 3120 to me. Finish, unknown, and really no matter unless it's a refin and poorly done. It's not like these guitars command a lot of money.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM

I saw that guitar on the 'bay and was really intrigued by it. Wood looks super cool and it appears to be a genuine neck. Powder cosmo hardware and LoPro would be correct for a 2001, but I'm unaware of that finish and the figuring of the wood is unlike any other RG3120 I've seen. Pickups are also not original, at least the neck. It could be a refinish of a stock body or it could also be a custom body.

Even if it were a custom body, I wouldn't worry too much about it based on the pictures. The neck fits the pocket perfectly, sits at the correct height and all the routes look on the money. Even if the body were custom, it should play just like a factory instrument.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 AM

Yeah, I saw it on the bay too, first think I though was "WTF is that guitar doing with a Megadrive in the neck position?!"
Looks nice though.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 AM

Thats flamed Koa unless its a very, very good imitator.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Looks like either an RG3120 refinished or a completely different model that no one here can identify. But, I've never seen a 3120 with a top like THAT before.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback all, it was too interesting to pass up and the seller was reputable enough, and willing to negotiate the price down a bit so I pulled the trigger. She should be here within a couple of weeks, and I'll post some NGD photos and my assessment when it arrives.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Absolutely a koa top, no question. And I really like that dark board too
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Absolutely a koa top, no question. And I really like that dark board too
Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced it's Koa now as well. In regards to the fretboard, the ad said it was rosewood, but it's so dark and the grain is so tight that I'm wondering if it might be ebony. If it is rosewood it's one of the darkest pieces I've ever seen.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 PM

My RG3120 had a really dark board. Speaking of the board, that one really needs to be cleaned up

Great score on the guitar. If I didn't have so many expensive guitars sitting around here, I might have given you a run for your money! I also told myself that I NEED to get a Jem with my next purchase.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Vendor

After looking at it closer, yah, it's pretty clear. I'm getting a dejavu of 2 small batches they did pre edge pro, one bolt on, the other very limited neck thru, I think 6 of those. Can't remember on the bolt ons.

Tags
prestige , rg3120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode