Did the RG550 always come with a Wizard II? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Did the RG550 always come with a Wizard II?

I just checked the Ibanez site right now and it says the RG550 has a Wizard II neck? has it always been like this? I thought it always came with a Wizard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It might well be a mistake on the website. The RG550 has for years been fitted with a Wizard neck. It may have changed recently, or the information could be wrong.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:27 AM

Reviews: 2

Ok

I know what a wizard and wizard II feel like but what (roughly) are teh differences with teh Super Wizard and Wizard 4 necks ?

The lower end RG's have the Wizard II so has the PGM30
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Well I "think" the Wizard 4 has a 42mm nut width like a JS neck. I've heard that the "Super Wizard" neck is either a) the Wizard with the Bubinga Stripe. or b)an even thinner neck that starts off at 16mm depth and has the same profile as a wizard but 1mm less depth. or c)another name for the "original" wizard profile.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 08:54 AM

the RG550 has never come with a Wizard II, at least not in the US. If it's there, it's a typo.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:02 AM

Almost certain 550/570's are strictly Wizards. The Super Wizard does mean an added bubinga stripe.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:17 AM

The definitions of the various neck shape names mean different things depending on what country you're looking at. *Ibanez is notorious for this, as well as for mis-labeling their neck profiles in their literature. *(The 'Super Wizard' label, for example, is only used on the Japanese website, and seems identical to the original Wizard profile in the US from the dimensions given.)

I believe most of the 5xx series in the Japanese market have the Wizard II (18mm at nut) profile, while in the US they come with Wizard profile (17mm at nut) necks. *If you're looking at the US website, I wouldn't trust ANY of the neck designations they put on there. *(They list the VWH and DBK as having the same dimensions, same for the 3120 and 2020.)

As for the RG550, I assume you're looking at the US website? *If you look at the label, it says Wizard. *If you roll over the label, the caption on the picture that appears says 'Wizard II'. *But the dimensions shown (19mm nut thickness) aren't right for either a Wizard or Wizard II! *Good job Ibanez...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 02:43 PM

Quote:
MADWELL on 8:02 am on Feb. 22, 2002
Almost certain 550/570's are strictly Wizards. The Super Wizard does mean an added bubinga stripe.
Actually, the 570 has a bubinga stripe, yet it is a normal Wizard. the Super Wizards are 1mm narrower at the nut (42mm) and I think slightly thicker.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 12:06 AM

The 1999 & 2000 catalogs both say Wizard for the RG550.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 07:45 AM

The US Ibanez site says that the 550 comes with a Wizard neck, with the "Bubinga Reinforcement" (Which means cost cutting to me), but when you click on it, the Wizard II neck specs show up. I think they made a mistake, 'cause since its existance, the RG550 had a Wizard/Super Wizard neck. I think Iīm gonna buy one, cause itīs an excellent guitar (in spite of the pickups) and a lot cheaper than the JEMs.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:29 AM

Quote:
LucasKotzen on 6:45 am on Feb. 24, 2002
The US Ibanez site says that the 550 comes with a Wizard neck, with the "Bubinga Reinforcement" (Which means cost cutting to me), but when you click on it, the Wizard II neck specs show up. I think they made a mistake, 'cause since its existance, the RG550 had a Wizard/Super Wizard neck. I think Iīm gonna buy one, cause itīs an excellent guitar (in spite of the pickups) and a lot cheaper than the JEMs.
The bubinga reinforcement doesn't mean costcutting, it means reinforcement. Why is making a neck stronger cost cutting?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:56 PM

I believe that the older RGs are far superior to the new ones. Ibanez will always tell you that the new models are more reliable and even better sounding. *Poppy****!!! We all know thatīs not true. Donīt get me wrong, I love RGs and theyīre amazing guitars. In fact, the Bubbinga Stripe on the newer Wizard necks DOES make them stronger, but I also think it makes them cheaper to manufacture because itīs easier and faster to install the Truss Rod between that stripe and the fingerboard.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:16 PM

?????

Skunk stripes were first used on Fenders that had one-piece maple necks - that is, necks made from a single piece of wood - no separate fingerboard. *There was no other way to get the truss rod in there, so they routed a channel in the back to install it, and then put a (walnut?) strip in to cover it. *Necks with rosewood fingerboards didn't have them, because the truss rod could be placed into the neck before the fingerboard was attached. *Some players liked the look of the skunk stripe, so they strated putting them on rosewood-board necks too.

Since Ibanez makes their maple board necks with a separate fingerboard and neck back, they install the truss rod before attaching the fingerboard. *The bubinga stripe in no way makes this easier or cheaper. *I would guess that having to do the work of adding the bubinga, if anything, costs more. *But my guess is that the cost is offset in the end by a lower percentage of defective necks.

Personally, I'll take a modern, bubinga-striped, AANJ RG over an old one any day.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
kuma on 2:16 pm on Feb. 25, 2002

Personally, I'll take a modern, bubinga-striped, AANJ RG over an old one any day.
Me too ...glen

PS - the Wizard-II has *never* been used on RG5xx guitars, as it has a slightly rounder radius 400mm vs 430mm or so. The bubinga stripe did not make it the "wizard-II".
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:55 PM

Quote:
kuma on 2:16 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
?????

Skunk stripes were first used on Fenders that had one-piece maple necks - that is, necks made from a single piece of wood - no separate fingerboard. *There was no other way to get the truss rod in there, so they routed a channel in the back to install it, and then put a (walnut?) strip in to cover it. *Necks with rosewood fingerboards didn't have them, because the truss rod could be placed into the neck before the fingerboard was attached. *Some players liked the look of the skunk stripe, so they strated putting them on rosewood-board necks too.

Since Ibanez makes their maple board necks with a separate fingerboard and neck back, they install the truss rod before attaching the fingerboard. *The bubinga stripe in no way makes this easier or cheaper. *I would guess that having to do the work of adding the bubinga, if anything, costs more. *But my guess is that the cost is offset in the end by a lower percentage of defective necks.

Sorry, man I thought that the maple Ibanez necks were made of 1-piece maple. Sorry.

Tags
ibanez neck , ibanez necks , maple neck , maple necks , neck shape , rosewood fingerboard , super wizard neck , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode