diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

I would like to know what's the difference between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige and standard (Ibanez alone) guitars.
enb141 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Berryville, Ar
Posts: 554
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

The Gio is made with the lowest quality products the cheapest way possible. The Premium, and Prestige from my understanding is made the same way one is just made in Indonesia, and one is made in Japan. The Standard line is middle of the road, not the best but not the worst.
jimistephen is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

impossible question to answer.......... What guitars in particular do you want to know about?
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

RG370DX, GRGA42TQA and GRGA32T
enb141 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

guys, whats the difference between a toyota corrolla and a Ferrari 458 italia?
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

The Ferrari is red????
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
guys, whats the difference between a toyota corrolla and a Ferrari 458 italia?
Toyota corolla:
1.8 Litter 16-Valve -4 Cylinder, 132HP, 5 speed

458 Italia
4.499 Litter, V8, 560HP, 7 speed.
enb141 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
RG370DX, GRGA42TQA and GRGA32T

that makes it a little easier.......

GRGA32T-

NECK: GRGA profile (25.5"scale, 43mm nut, 56mm heel, 20.5mm thick at 1st fret and 23mm at the 12th, 400mm fretboard radius) this thing is a baseball bat with frets....lol. I think it's one piece maple construction with a rosewood board, but I can't confirm that.

BODY: Multi piece Mahogany laminate. the last one I looked at was at least three piece..(you could see the joints in the finish)

Electronics: unknown, but rest assured they are the cheapest Ibanez could find.

Pickups: STD H1/H2..... I can't find any info on these, but see electronics above for what I'm sure their quality level is....expect to replace them immediately.

Bridge: Double locking Edge III- the only redeeming quality of this guitar, and that's not saying much.

----------------

GRGA42TQA- Same guitar as the GRGA32T except that the body is basswood, it has a "Photo Quilt" top, and has real EMG passive pickups. this guitar is a nice upgrade from the 32, but still an "entry level" guitar.

-----------------

RG370DX-

Neck:
Wizard III- 3-piece maple construction with Wiz3 profile (25.5" scale, 43mm nut, 58mm heel, 19mm at first fret, 21mm at the 12th, 400 mm radius), bound rosewood fretboard with sharkstooth inlays and jumbo frets.This is a much more playable neck than the GRGA above (subjective- but pretty realistic)

Body: Multi piece basswood construction with much better attention to prep for finish (better sealer/primer coats)

Electronics: all the examples I've seen have had the ym-50 switch and nice pots (I don't know who made them though)

Pickups: Ibanez INF series.... not a "great" pup by any means, but theyre sufficient for a beginner, otherwise expect to change them out.....They DO sound better than the H-series on the GRGA32....

Bridge: If you get the orange one you'll get a very nice surprise with the Edge Zero II bridge. It's the same bridge that's on the Premium series RG's. other colors (black and white) will have the Edge III.... see above for that.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:14 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orangevile, on, Canada
Posts: 324
Reviews: 3
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Actually, all the indo rgs now have ezll, at least in canada.
IBZshredder is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
that makes it a little easier.......

GRGA32T-

NECK: GRGA profile (25.5"scale, 43mm nut, 56mm heel, 20.5mm thick at 1st fret and 23mm at the 12th, 400mm fretboard radius) this thing is a baseball bat with frets....lol. I think it's one piece maple construction with a rosewood board, but I can't confirm that.

BODY: Multi piece Mahogany laminate. the last one I looked at was at least three piece..(you could see the joints in the finish)

Electronics: unknown, but rest assured they are the cheapest Ibanez could find.

Pickups: STD H1/H2..... I can't find any info on these, but see electronics above for what I'm sure their quality level is....expect to replace them immediately.

Bridge: Double locking Edge III- the only redeeming quality of this guitar, and that's not saying much.

----------------

GRGA42TQA- Same guitar as the GRGA32T except that the body is basswood, it has a "Photo Quilt" top, and has real EMG passive pickups. this guitar is a nice upgrade from the 32, but still an "entry level" guitar.

-----------------

RG370DX-

Neck:
Wizard III- 3-piece maple construction with Wiz3 profile (25.5" scale, 43mm nut, 58mm heel, 19mm at first fret, 21mm at the 12th, 400 mm radius), bound rosewood fretboard with sharkstooth inlays and jumbo frets.This is a much more playable neck than the GRGA above (subjective- but pretty realistic)

Body: Multi piece basswood construction with much better attention to prep for finish (better sealer/primer coats)

Electronics: all the examples I've seen have had the ym-50 switch and nice pots (I don't know who made them though)

Pickups: Ibanez INF series.... not a "great" pup by any means, but theyre sufficient for a beginner, otherwise expect to change them out.....They DO sound better than the H-series on the GRGA32....

Bridge: If you get the orange one you'll get a very nice surprise with the Edge Zero II bridge. It's the same bridge that's on the Premium series RG's. other colors (black and white) will have the Edge III.... see above for that.
That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Now back to the topic what I'm looking for this guitars is to mod them specially the Neck, I want to upgrade the neck with a moses one, change pickups with air norton + tone zone or something in that price range, also the electronics but what I most likely care is the design, wood and bridge.

I was thinking to get one of this cheap guitars or build a warmoth body with a price closer to this guitars.

Now one more question, you said that those guitars are multi piece rosewood / mahogany so do you know if warmoth bodies (soloist) are one piece or are multi piece?

So do you know if higher class ibanez guitars like RG3770Z are single piece bodies or are them multi piece too?
enb141 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 941
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

You will be hard pressed to find any guitar maker using a one piece body today. The wood stock just doesn't exist anymore.
musikron is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

I see, so multipiece is a norm in all guitar makers / models.
enb141 is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Dude, if you are going to replace the neck, pickups, and all electronics, you are far far far better off buying a cheaper edge based guitar. Id HIGHLY suggest you get an rg570. They can be had for dirt cheap and come with all the features you need in a high quality guitar. Do NOT buy an expensive guitar and tear it apart, it just doesnt make sense lol.

and yes, multipeice bodies are the norm, and its ok. 2 peices of wood glued together is much much stronger then a single piece of wood actually.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 54
Reviews: 1
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Dude, if you are going to replace the neck, pickups, and all electronics, you are far far far better off buying a cheaper edge based guitar. Id HIGHLY suggest you get an rg570. They can be had for dirt cheap and come with all the features you need in a high quality guitar. Do NOT buy an expensive guitar and tear it apart, it just doesnt make sense lol.

and yes, multipeice bodies are the norm, and its ok. 2 peices of wood glued together is much much stronger then a single piece of wood actually.
I did that in the past, I bought an used guitar and after all the guitar was good but I'm too picky so to me a brand new guitar is a must and it seems that the RG 570 has been discontinued.

The only models that I can see on ebay are those RG470AH.

In other words I'm looking for a mint zero scratches body.
enb141 is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: diffencences between GIO, PREMIUM, Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
I did that in the past, I bought an used guitar and after all the guitar was good but I'm too picky so to me a brand new guitar is a must and it seems that the RG 570 has been discontinued.

The only models that I can see on ebay are those RG470AH.

In other words I'm looking for a mint zero scratches body.

There ARE some mint condition bodies floating around. If anything, buy a body from one of our vendors and have them paint it to your specs you want. Save you some coin. No sense buying a brand new guitar and tear it apart lol.
linuxpenguin is offline  
Reply

Tags
gio , premium , prestige

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ibanez Premium S ? erasetheprocess All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 26 01-13-2012 06:44 PM
NGD--Premium RG920QM AlaskaBat All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 111 04-13-2011 01:41 PM
RG920QM Premium or RG3120? jclogston All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 23 03-17-2011 12:15 PM
WTB: Xbox 360 Premium Tragical Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 12-26-2007 03:48 AM
Premium popping corn? jay ratkowski Off-topic / Miscellaneous 16 07-30-2007 10:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome