Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

I'm looking to buy an RG350, or RG550(if i can find a cheap one), what are the differences between them? I want to get a more professional level guitar, but I don't think I can afford one.
sanjinator17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

The key differences are pretty important....... the first of which is the trem. You didn't say if you were looking at a new or used RG350. I'm assuming it's used. The 350 came with MANY different trems throughout the years (Lo-TRS, Edge2, Edge-Pro2, Edge 3) all of which are vastly inferior to the 2 trems on the RG550's (Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge) The stock RG550 IS a professional level guitar (though most players change out the V7-V8 pickups) The stock RG350 is NOT a pro level guitar. It's easy enough to upgrade the 350 to professional levels, but will not do the trick in stock form.

Other differences:
Neck Profile: RG550- Wizard (Super Wizard 1997-2002)/ RG350 Wizard 2 (Wizard 3 for 2011)
fretboard- RG550 Maple with 430mm radius / RG350 Rosewood with 400mm radius
Pickups- RG550- Ibanez V-series/ RG350- Ibanez INF series (inferior to the V-series)
Input jack- RG550 recessed heavy duty barrel jack/ RG350 external mount not heavy duty.
Hardware(tuners,nut...etc) RG550 Gotoh premium/ RG350 ibanez branded not as heavy duty.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some differences, but this should get you started.

Ryc
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The key differences are pretty important....... the first of which is the trem. You didn't say if you were looking at a new or used RG350. I'm assuming it's used. The 350 came with MANY different trems throughout the years (Lo-TRS, Edge2, Edge-Pro2, Edge 3) all of which are vastly inferior to the 2 trems on the RG550's (Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge) The stock RG550 IS a professional level guitar (though most players change out the V7-V8 pickups) The stock RG350 is NOT a pro level guitar. It's easy enough to upgrade the 350 to professional levels, but will not do the trick in stock form.

Other differences:
Neck Profile: RG550- Wizard (Super Wizard 1997-2002)/ RG350 Wizard 2 (Wizard 3 for 2011)
fretboard- RG550 Maple with 430mm radius / RG350 Rosewood with 400mm radius
Pickups- RG550- Ibanez V-series/ RG350- Ibanez INF series (inferior to the V-series)
Input jack- RG550 recessed heavy duty barrel jack/ RG350 external mount not heavy duty.
Hardware(tuners,nut...etc) RG550 Gotoh premium/ RG350 ibanez branded not as heavy duty.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some differences, but this should get you started.

Ryc
Thanks man, that really summed it up for me.
How would I go about turning the 350 into a pro-level guitar
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

That really depends on the year of the 350........usually the cost of doing this will put it over what you can buy a pristine 550 for though......... the trem alone will cost you close to $200 or more depending on your choice.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

There are also other options to the 550 as well......If you don't "have to have" a pickguard, the RG570 and RG520 are IDENTICAL to the 550 save the pickguard and pickup configuration. For some strange reason (I've been trying to figure it out for years) the 520 and 570 almost always sell for $100-$150 less than their 550 counterpart.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

are edge 3s really that bad? how much better is the original edge?
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orangevile, on, Canada
Posts: 324
Reviews: 3
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Well, i have never Played on a edge, but i do have a 350, and the edge 3 may not be as bad as some say, but my arm holder broke, making it unusable. I am buying a gotoh for it in a few days when they get in stock online. The edge is made from better materials, and better arm socket. The 350 neck is really good, with having great fretwork. It is thicker than the 550, still nice. If you can find a used 550 (which i am having a hard time doing) id recommend getting it. The two things holding the 350 back is the trem and pickups, other than that its a great guitar.
IBZshredder is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

thanks guys, this has helped.

i think i'm gonna go test a 350 out again
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjinator17 View Post
are edge 3s really that bad? how much better is the original edge?
In the real world......... The Edge 3 can do it's job, but it's by no means reliable or stable (see shredders comment above). If your not going to use it much, it should be OK, but don't rely on it keeping tune for long. The Original Edge and the Lo-Pro are arguably the MOST stable and reliable trem's ever made...bar none. There are MAJOR differences between the ED/LP and any of the "value trems"

On the upside, I believe the Edge3 can be replaced by either an Original Floyd Rose, a Schaller FR, or a Gotoh FR..........All very good trems!!
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

You should also know that the new RG350MP (white only) has the new EZ-2 bridge...... the same bridge thats on all of the Ibanez RG Premium guitars. the new EZ2 looks VERY promising as a pro level contender. See AlaskaBat's review on it here:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ng...-110181-2.html

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bengalsf...9?feature=mhum
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
In the real world......... The Edge 3 can do it's job, but it's by no means reliable or stable (see shredders comment above). If your not going to use it much, it should be OK, but don't rely on it keeping tune for long. The Original Edge and the Lo-Pro are arguably the MOST stable and reliable trem's ever made...bar none. There are MAJOR differences between the ED/LP and any of the "value trems"

On the upside, I believe the Edge3 can be replaced by either an Original Floyd Rose, a Schaller FR, or a Gotoh FR..........All very good trems!!
how much $$$ would it be to really fix up a 350?
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Byron, IL
Posts: 502
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Do yourself a favor and go with a 550.

I've tried the upgrading route and it's not the same. I recently made the move to a Rg560 which is the same as a 550 except it has a ssh setup. To me the 350 doesn't come close to the 550.

For the one who said they couldn't find a used RG550 I say look on ebay, this site, or Guitar Center used gear section. They always seem to have the black one for $399

Anyway, hope this helps.

P.S

For the 2011 models Ibanez had made the switch from Edge III to the Edge Zero II
Guitarmattms is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Do yourself a favor and go with a 550.

I've tried the upgrading route and it's not the same. I recently made the move to a Rg560 which is the same as a 550 except it has a ssh setup. To me the 350 doesn't come close to the 550.

For the one who said they couldn't find a used RG550 I say look on ebay, this site, or Guitar Center used gear section. They always seem to have the black one for $399

Anyway, hope this helps.

P.S

For the 2011 models Ibanez had made the switch from Edge III to the Edge Zero II
thanks man, that makes perfect sense to me
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 67
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

is this a 550? to my understanding its a 1997 550 when they added the AANJ

http://www.fortmadisonguitars.com/pr...-and-more.html
sanjinator17 is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orangevile, on, Canada
Posts: 324
Reviews: 3
Re: Difference between RG350, RG550, and everything inbetween

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjinator17 View Post
how much $$$ would it be to really fix up a 350?
depends on the parts, i have switched the stocks to gfs pickups, which are about 30-35 dollars a piece. the the trem, you could get the floyd rose special for 100 shipped from guitarpartsdeopt, or a original floyd, typically anywhere from $170-190, or the gotoh, (i found mine for $150 online, with locking nut). probably looking at aroung $200-$300. now if you want emgs in there, well you might as well just get the 550, because emgs are $100 a piece.
IBZshredder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Ibanez RG550 Super Wizard Neck AANJ, pickguard and RG350. Guitarmattms Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 4 04-28-2010 10:59 PM
Difference between RG550 and RG550EX Nocaster All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 02-02-2009 06:39 PM
Difference between JEM and RG550 bujecas All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 11 05-27-2006 10:39 AM
Which single coil to go inbetween my tz and az??? nickysplendid Pickups & wiring 1 01-11-2006 10:01 AM
What's the difference btw a RG450 and a RG550? Bali2002 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 14 11-12-2003 05:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome