Difference between RG350's and Prestige models? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Difference between RG350's and Prestige models?

I just bought an RG350 and have to say, it plays just as well as the RG1560 I returned last week.

They feel pretty similar, the pups in the RG350 are Infinity, in the RG1560 I think they are VR's.

Tremolos (Low Pro on the Prestige / ZR Edge II on the 350) seem the same as far as staying in tune, necks are almost identical in feel - just because its stamped 'made in Japan' and comes in a nice case - does that mean an additional $1000.00?

I know the INF pickups get a lot of flack, but they seem pretty darn good for a guitar that is less than $400!

what are your thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Banned

Re: Difference between RG350's and Prestige models?

Presitege models have better hardware and built better.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 05:33 AM

any prestige with bad set up will feel and play like 's' for sure.
any low end indo with good set up will feel and play better than prestige with bad set up.

now try to have a good set up on both. and if you still feel the indo is better, it's pure your taste.
nothing wrong with it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Reviews: 21

IMO both guitars with a good setup will make the Prestige feel better. I own both and love Indos. They also don't age as well as Prestiges I think. You need to work to keep them in playing condition.
I have an RG3EXQM1 that came with decent passive/active pickups but put in a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. The bridge was cheap so I replaced it with a Gotoh. I'm finally getting around to switching the original 3-way switch with a Dimarzio 5-way. Lots of work but I love this guitar - and it still plays great.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with indo ibby's, but if you're looking to save some cash I'd suggest to buy a used 550, 570, 770 MIJ RG guitar.

They sell for pretty low on ebay and you get probably the best floating bridge that there is.

However, some people hate used guitars, so if that's a problem to you, I'd understand why you wouldn't want to go that route.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 AM

RG350 is you get what you pay for. Prestige and other high end guitars can suffer from bad setup and so on... nothing new for ibanez. It will play great on small amp or whatever home configuration. Trem stability is always a debatable thing, a lot is up to setup. Still if you plug 350 and a nice 550 into bigger amp... that is where it tops out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM

I like the RG350... After i took out the INF pickups and stuck in Evolutions in all 3 positions lol The things plays like a dream in D tuning They were awesome in E tuning but I did feel the high end was TOO high on the Evo bridge but when i dropped the tuning the notes sound alot clearer so I'm happy with it this way. The INF pups arent bad for cheap pups, but i got tired of them after hearing Dimarzio IBZ pups (and the HUGE difference in sound quality) so I needed something with more bite.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing with the rg3xxv or rg450m. I just prefer their necks compared to the rg550...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM

i think if ur happy with the rg350...its all up to you ..enjoy it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Some people can't identify and appreciate quality. Its got nothing to do with whether you can play the guitar or not. Sure the guitars sort of look the same and if they are both setup well they will feel pretty similar. Good for you, you get to save heaps of cash and go for the non-prestige. Personally, I would never buy a non-jap Ibanez. If you know what to look for you will find nearly every premium or regular indo iby is flawed in some way or another. You cant expect that a factory set up yesterday employing kids who were assembling televisions last week to produce as quality an instrument as a country which has been proudly producing quality instruments for hundreds of years (with a small lapse in quality post WW2 till the 70's when they were focused on rebuilding their country)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 2

a ridiculous thread is just that......... ridiculous.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM

You gave upa lo pro for that??? I think you need a fixed bridge for starters if you cant tell the difference in the trems... Not being harsh to you at all but you just gave up IMO the best floating trem available let alone the quality of workmanship and attention to detail that the Japanese luthiers deliver compared to Korea and Indonesia (I would almost go as far as saying the rest of the world ) You have to look at the finer details of the instrument which then boils down to the whole construction of the instrument.

Tags
rg350 vs prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode