Differences between a new Jem and J-Custom? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Differences between a new Jem and J-Custom?

Hey guys... I just bought a PRS Custom 24 last February and I friggin love it. That, and a top notch Ibby have been my dream guitars. I have an RG570 that I love... but it was from when I was a kid and it needs quite a bit of work...

I've always had my heart set on a Jem but recently discovered the J Custom line. I read on quite a bit of website, including "Ibanez Rules" that the J Custom line, is by far, the highest quality line Ibanez releases. I read about their availability and if I do purchase it, I plan on doing so through Ibanez Rules.

Not being able to play it first, I'm wondering what the main differences are between them and the new Jem line?

Does anyone have one and can chime in?
They're gorgeous guitars. That's why it's either a J or a Jem. They're just beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Differences between a new Jem and J-Custom?

well, i havent played either, but it seems pretty black and white to me. the jem is a signature model, mass produced in indonesia and japan.
the j.custom is produced in small nos, is more exclusive, and is marketed as the very best. Above the Jem and PGM and whatever else u can think of.
but i agree, theyre both works of art
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Right, that's what I figured. But I didn't know if there were any less obvious differences. (that sounded like a dick comment, but it really wasn't) Thanks for the input!

I've played the Jem and was blown away by it.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM

As nikm said J customs are produced in small numbers by ibanez master craftsman to order and to the highest possible standard.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Reviews: 25

Actually ask any long time Ibanez user who knows their stuff and they will tell you J Custom line is at the same level of quality as any high end signature series made in Japan Ibanez.

J Custom series guitars, are top of the line Ibanez guitars made for the Japanese Market only. hence the J... any Jem or JS should bethe same level in wood and pickups, fret finish etc.. Although just recently J Customs have been made available for the rest of the world.

J Custom is a way to get the quality of a signature without, having to play an iconic guitar. Some people dont want to look like vai on stage but want the quality..

long story short Signature and J Customs are the same quality...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 AM

J customs are more polished than the JEM's etc,different and more detailed fret work and other small things.

But they are both pro level instruments and really which ever you choose you will have a killer axe.
What it really boils down to is what woods and p/up combo suit YOU the most.

J customs are the highest level of Ibanez available built by the top luthiers,they are the best.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
J customs are more polished than the JEM's etc,different and more detailed fret work and other small things.

But they are both pro level instruments and really which ever you choose you will have a killer axe.
What it really boils down to is what woods and p/up combo suit YOU the most.

J customs are the highest level of Ibanez available built by the top luthiers,they are the best.

I disagree... besides your claims of better fretwork on the J Custom, which isn't true, what are these other small things you speak of that is better on a j Custom compared to a Jem ?

No way would Steve Vai accept a jem that doesn't have Ibanez's best efforts put into it, apart from the premium and lower end models. The Jem is their Flagship guitar, so it has to be the finest quality they make.. If Ibanez made a better guitar then the Jem, then Steve Vai would be using the specs of the J Custom built into a jem looking guitar, which is stupid, cause the Jem equals a J Custom..
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 2

i havent played either, so i have no clue about the quality.
but from what ive read and heard, j customs are more exclusive- there are less j customs than there are jems. also, jcustoms are more technically differnet. depending on which one you take, u can get one of the new ones with the edge zero, or a neckthru with the roland synth in it, or an arched RG(NOT an RGA).
though, paint and finish wise, jems are probably more different.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I see there are some differences of opinions. lol

I'll check out the tech specs and look deeper into the pickups. I mean, I am looking for something that can soar with high gain solo's. I'd imagine either or will sound brilliant, but my first "want" is to have a setup that suits a high gain setting. Lately, I've been into soloing quite a bit. My PRS plays fantastic. I'm not looking for something to replace it... more something to compliment it. I don't gig. I'm a studio player. So it's more for when a song calls for an ibanez or PRS, musically...

You guys understand... you just know lol
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikm13 View Post
i havent played either, so i have no clue about the quality.
but from what ive read and heard, j customs are more exclusive- there are less j customs than there are jems. also, jcustoms are more technically differnet. depending on which one you take, u can get one of the new ones with the edge zero, or a neckthru with the roland synth in it, or an arched RG(NOT an RGA).
though, paint and finish wise, jems are probably more different.
Well by your logic the Jem would be a better guitar because the Edge trem is still by far the better trem then an edge zero..

The Jem model is specs chosen by Steve Vai, J Custom specs are choosen by whomever at Ibanez decides what they will be. But the build quality is exactly the same, specs are different..
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 11

I own both J Customs and JEMs and the build quality is very similar. I have J Customs that are better players than some JEMs, I have some JEMs that are better players than J Customs. I will say Ibanez build quality varies less than any other (mass produced) guitar builder. On top of that statement, I would put the build quality of my JEMs and J Customs (even the Prestige line) against many of the "boutique" built guitars.

Picture of two of my JEMs and two of my J Customs for your enjoyment.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I disagree... besides your claims of better fretwork on the J Custom, which isn't true, what are these other small things you speak of that is better on a j Custom compared to a Jem ?

No way would Steve Vai accept a jem that doesn't have Ibanez's best efforts put into it, apart from the premium and lower end models. The Jem is their Flagship guitar, so it has to be the finest quality they make.. If Ibanez made a better guitar then the Jem, then Steve Vai would be using the specs of the J Custom built into a jem looking guitar, which is stupid, cause the Jem equals a J Custom..
Have you ever seen a J custom other than in pictures? No I don't think so. Because what you tell us here is just about things that you don't know anything about at all.

I have several J Customs and also several Jems and what I can tell you is that it is a huge difference about the fretwork. But mr. vai maybe just don't like that style, think about that. It is also a very very big difference in the finish of the guitars, J Customs are far much better finished. Not just white or black guitars.

I like my Jems and also like my J Customs. But about the main question a J Custom has the same finish and luither work like an PRS. Thats my opinion.

Thanks
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman99 View Post
Have you ever seen a J custom other than in pictures? No I don't think so. Because what you tell us here is just about things that you don't know anything about at all.

How about asking if I owned J Customs before making stupid statements.

I have several J Customs and also several Jems and what I can tell you is that it is a huge difference about the fretwork. But mr. vai maybe just don't like that style, think about that. It is also a very very big difference in the finish of the guitars, J Customs are far much better finished. Not just white or black guitars.

I like my Jems and also like my J Customs. But about the main question a J Custom has the same finish and luither work like an PRS. Thats my opinion.

Thanks
Are yous serious ? do you think I would be talking if I didn't own or have atleast played them..

I own possibly the 2 nicest J Customs money can buy... and other guitars on par.

Maybe the Jems you own are dud ones..

So in wrapping up my statement your wrong and J Customs are built with the same standards as J Customs they just have different specs...

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Vendor

J Customs pre 2002 are barely if any better than Prestige in build quality, though you can argue the wood are definitely more select. After 2002 J Customs are on a completely different level to anything Prestige, and since Prestige has gone seriously backwards since 2002, the differences grow greater with every passing year. JEM's are Prestige level only, but made by the same hands over and over so are more consistent, and definitely better than your average 1500-3000 series which IMO shouldn't even bear Prestige labeling because they do not meet the standards to which the Prestige branding was created to begin with.

Current JC are FAR superior to current Prestige or Signature, unless the signature is Sugi built, then Sugi would win.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=IbanezFreak777;1146386]Are yous serious ? do you think I would be talking if I didn't own or have atleast played them..

Ok, I'm sorry. But what you have in your pictures is not any "new" J Customs, maybe the ugliest J customs ever built, don't take this personally it's just my opinion.. The question was about new jem or j customs. Maybe that I didn't get the question right?

Don't compare these old J customs that you have or had to new ones, that's Stupid...

Last edited by sandman99; 01-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Tags
j custom , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode