Differences between the RG1527 and UV777P - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Differences between the RG1527 and UV777P

Hi,

Other than the great finish and the (not so good) Blaze pickups on the UV what other differences are there between the current production RG1527 and UV777P guitars? Both have the same body material, same profile neck made of the same materials (accoring to the Ibanez website) and the same trem. Is the £750 price difference all becasue of the fancy pyramids, pickups and binding on the UV?
Thanks guys,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 AM

Re: Differences between the RG1527 and UV777P

Um, according to the site the neck profiles are different. The UV has a UV profile whereas the 1527 has the Wizard-7. My guess is that the UV has an American Basswood body, whereas the 1527 uses asian Basswood. American Basswood is lighter. Of course, the cosmetics and pickups on the UV drives the price a bit higher, but you mostly pay for the signature.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Specs from Ibanez.co.jp

RG1527
5pcs. Maple/Wenge Prestige neck****
Scale 648mm/ 25.5"
a : Width at Nut 48mm
b : Width at Last Fret 68mm
c: Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 430mmR

UV777P specs from same site:
SPECIFICATIONAmerican Basswood body
5pcs. Maple/Wenge Prestige neck****
Rosewood fingerboard
Edge Pro 7 bridge
DiMarzio® Blaze II™(H) neck pu
DiMarzio® Blaze II™(S) mid pu
DiMarzio® Blaze II™(H) bridge pu

****Looks like the same neck with the same radius and thickness etc to me....?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM

Oh, my mistake then, you're right.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Just got my RG1527 RB an hour ago, comes in a J craft case and wow, looks nice, plays very well and it isnt too much of a shock being so wide (never played a 7 before), but damn it, its got a chip in the paint next to the bridge humbucker cavity!!!! NO WAY, IBANEZ QUALITY CONTROL IS SH!T!!! I called the supplier, they said that the other one they had in stock also had this same defect so its going back for a refund, however as the beast was so nice in every other way I ordered another from somewhere else, just cant stand waiting another bloody week!!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstevenson
Just got my RG1527 RB an hour ago, comes in a J craft case and wow, looks nice, plays very well and it isnt too much of a shock being so wide (never played a 7 before), but damn it, its got a chip in the paint next to the bridge humbucker cavity!!!! NO WAY, IBANEZ QUALITY CONTROL IS SH!T!!! I called the supplier, they said that the other one they had in stock also had this same defect so its going back for a refund, however as the beast was so nice in every other way I ordered another from somewhere else, just cant stand waiting another bloody week!!!!
That's so annoying, but you were really hacked off! Hope the new one is ok.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:24 PM

You know, just because the necks are the same depth doesn't mean they have the same contour or back shape. They could very well be different, with one being more of a C and the other more of a D. The whole story isn't in the specs. Certainly the different carves wouldn't change the price of the neck, but they might not be identical. I personally prefer the 7620 neck contour to the UV777PBK neck, but binding (to me) is always preferable. Neck binding isn't cheap, either.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serratus
That's so annoying, but you were really hacked off! Hope the new one is ok.
Hacked off!! You bet, (and I hate waiting!) I recently had to return a JS1200 becuas ethat had a couple of really nasty cracks at the neck joint, and that also was new in box!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstevenson
This is why I prefer going to a shop as opposed to mail order so I can see what I'm getting. Only taken the risk once or twice when no nearby guitar shop has what I want or at a cheap enough price...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I wish I had the luxury of finding a 7 string in my local guitar shops!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Reviews: 34

I almost always use shops, and usually only one I am loyal too.

I actually picked up a bass from the shop with a finish defect. I went in and said what have you got for £100, the boss came back with a shop damaged bass, and sorted me out. As long as you know it's there, it is not too visible AND IT IS PRICED ACCORDINGLY, it is not a problem. It seems to be a real issue with Ibanez stuff recently. There have been lots of posts about it, and they only way we can get better service is to complain, send stuff back, and make it cost them money.

Hope you get better luck next time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM

i think a pretty major difference is that one is "steve vai" and one isnt!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 1

And you have the difference in wood.
That makes the biggest difference. JEM/UV and signature guitars, and high end prestiges, have top quality wood. First class, That's why they sound better. compare the two guitars unplugged, and you'll hear it at once, no bull****.

Tony
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM

I'm not sure if they changed the spec on the UV and 1527 recently so they all come with the same profile neck or if the site's just wrong (which granted wouldn't be the first time - the 7620 was spec'd with Blaze II's for a couple years in the catalogue when it shipped with New 7's. To confuse things even further, the UV was spec'd with Blaze II's as well, yet Dimarzio lists them as Blazes. ).

However, historically there WAS a difference in neck profile between the 7620/1527 and the UV - the neck on my Universe is more of a C-shape, with tapered shoulders, while the 7620 I owned previously was more D shaped and felt a bit tubbier, even though it was the exact same thickness. I prefer the UV neck, but that's just personal taste (I don't even particularly like most of Vai's music, ALS aside, but there's no denying the man can design a hell of a guitar).

Personally, while the Blaze neck is good but nothing to write home about and the middle was sterile and uninspiring, I always thought the Blaze bridge through a nice mid-y amp (I play a mesa nomad) was one of the best bridge humbucker tones I've ever heard.

Tags
basswood body , blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , guitar shop , local guitar shop , mesa nomad , neck binding , neck joint , pbk neck , rosewood fingerboard , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode