Different brands, different necks. Does it bother you when switching guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Different brands, different necks. Does it bother you when switching guitars?

One of my most important guide lines I keep when guitar shopping is to find one with a comfortable neck. Somewhere along the line I lost my patience and just bought guitars I liked as a "whole", rather than for the neck alone. So now I have multiple brands and styles.

All of my guitars are comfortable, to me, when played alone for a couple hours. But as soon as I go from an ESP U shaped neck to a thin/flat Ibanez Wizard, or vice versa it is weird as hell. (not just thickness, Ibanez necks are WIDE as well). I'm wondering if this bothers anyone else or if it is just me. And to what extent it bothers you. Have you ever sold a guitar just because you did not like the neck OR do all your guitars get along and you just learn to adjust to their differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Re: Different brands, different necks. Does it bother you when switching guitars?

i have 5 ibanezes and they all have wizard II neck profiles, i have 3 jacksons and they all have the same neck but i dont like switching between the ibanez and jackson profile i play ibanez or jackson on day never mix the 2
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Re: Different brands, different necks. Does it bother you when switching guitars?

I know how you feel. I have Ibby's with Wizards and Strats. They are two totally different necks. I prefer the C Shaped strat neck but I keep buying ibbys'
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:16 AM

i have a kramer stagemaster which is c shaped and painted which feels very gibsonish,i also have the vandenberg which has a really thin neck and is not as wide as my jem neck.
my dont mind switching at all, the biggest reason for doing it is sound, but another odd thing is that they all have 10's , on the kramer they feel like 10's but on the vandy they feel like a set of 8's.
If i was using the whammy bar i would use my jem which i trust and it is easy to use, i have a floyd on the kramer more of a divebomber and i wouldn't dare touch the kahler,that one is just there to make bending notes easier lol.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 AM

Last edited by IANSPA; 09-12-2008 at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 AM

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANSPA View Post
I HAVE TWO SABRES 1987 AND 1991 BOTH HAVE THE SUPER THIN NECKS MADE IN JAPAN EVEN IBANEZ DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THIS ANYMORE INCLUDING PRESTIGE OTHER GUITARS TEND TO FEEL LIKE PLAYING A BASEBALL BAT
Don't type in all capitals. It makes you look stupid.

This message brought to you by the 'GuitarBizarre Association of Not Burning My Damned Eyeballs Out With All Caps Text' (GANBMDEOWACT)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM

I've got guitars from 5 different manufacturers, and I swap between them all the time. At first it was a bit hard to adjust straight away, but I got used to it, and don't really notice anymore.

Rock on!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM

I own five guitars, one with a wizard prestige neck, a 7 string wizard neck, a slim taper sg, a strar and a tele.

my favourite is by far the wizard prestige, though I can play them all and feel comfortable, I can adjust easily to neck shapes, excepting for those huge shecter necks, Im going to buy one just to have a completely different feeling guitar.
my least favourite is the strat, and I like it
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM

I have no problem switching between different brands with different neck profiles. In fact none of my Ibanez's even have the same neck profile! My necks range from a wafer thin Wizard neck, to a J-Custom Wizar(NOT the same as the original Wizard), to a J-Custom Ultra. Then of course there's also a EBMM axis, ESP and a bunch of Caparison's to really mess things up.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Guys, go easy on the caps lock bashing, jeez Piling on is just as bad, if not worse.

(Though pics are always funny )
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 AM

I hope im not the only one here that does this but....

I play a guitar I have that has a totally different neck profile and think "man I love this guitar, this is gonna be my #1"

then it'll be having strings schanged or pickups changed or something and ill pick up another guitar and think "man I love this guitar, this is gonna be my #1"

repeat....

not bothered at all by changing neck profiles or body styles, I really find it refreshing to do it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffster View Post
i have a kramer stagemaster.
They are so comfortable, ain't they just

I have several different necks, i find i stick with one guitar per session so no real adjustment needed.

I have found if i go from a JEM to a JS straight away it feels strange!! As for going from a 7 string to a JS feels really funny It's like "Where'd the f***ing neck go"!!!

So yeah, i usually just pick up one guitar for the evening, the tricky part is deciding which one
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I'm not joining in the bashing but.....that pic is hilarious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode