Different quality guitars in different countries (RG Prestige) is this possible? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Different quality guitars in different countries (RG Prestige) is this possible?

My brother has an Ibanez RG 2550z Prestige bought in Romania, this guitar has been barely played, let's say in a year and a half it gets played one hour a month, and it's already showing signs of fret wear.

It never left the house, it's probably only the 3rd set of strings that's on it, including the one that came from the factory, and it's always been 9-42 Ernie Balls, so nothing heavy and nothing abrasive.

I had an Ibanez RG 270 bought from the UK, which I played a lot for 7 years and had no major fret wear...

My brother's main guitar is an SZ 520, which has been bought in Australia and is also 7 years old, again, no major fret wear...

He uses 9's on the SZ, but that guitar used to be mine so I used 10's and 11's for probably 4 years or so... without any noticeable fret wear

So is this possible that lower quality guitars are sold as premium guitars in different countries?

Acoustically and build wise the 2550 is pretty much awesome, but how come the frets wear off so quick?

You can't say it's a dud because the wood is awesome, and frets are frets, you don't have dud frets unless you make them out of a lesser alloy....

What is your opinion on this?

Regards,

Andrei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Different quality guitars in different countries (RG Prestige) is this possible?

It is possible to have "bad" fret-wire. if the metallurgy isn't quite correct or the annealing process was not done correctly.

I don't think this is likely in your case though. My guess would be the old strings on the guitar. Regardless of the amount of times they're played, strings start to degrade the second they're taken out of the packaging. The corrosion they build from sitting for weeks at a time is probably what is wearing on the fret-wire.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Different quality guitars in different countries (RG Prestige) is this possible?

Could be, but why hasn't it happened on the other guitars?...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

The word corrosion that you mentioned got me thinking, my brother has sweaty hands and very corrosive sweat.

The bridge on the SZ, which is his main guitar, would make any Mad Max Art Director proud, it's a brownish-reddish decayed thing, instead of chrome, because of this sweat...

I did check the frets on the SZ, which I haven't done in a while, and they're pretty used...

Can this quick eating of the frets be done by the corrosive sweat?

Is it possible that even if he played the RG just a bit, the acid sweat could have caused the slight fret use in such a short amount of time?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPopa View Post
The word corrosion that you mentioned got me thinking, my brother has sweaty hands and very corrosive sweat.

The bridge on the SZ, which is his main guitar, would make any Mad Max Art Director proud, it's a brownish-reddish decayed thing, instead of chrome, because of this sweat...

I did check the frets on the SZ, which I haven't done in a while, and they're pretty used...

Can this quick eating of the frets be done by the corrosive sweat?

Is it possible that even if he played the RG just a bit, the acid sweat could have caused the slight fret use in such a short amount of time?
In answer to both questions, yes.

A friend of mine has very corrosive sweat and after a very short time his strings turn completely black and one of his Fenders, that's only a couple of years old is almost to the point of needing a good level. He plays with fairly high action so he can get away with it a bit, but...

He washes his hands before he plays, wipes down the guitar after playing and is very steadfast about it, but it's his sweat and there's nothing he can do about it, really.

I have a 22 year old RG550 that's never had a fret job or even a level (and I think only twice in it's life have I polished the frets) and it still is just fine. A few buzzy spots but nothing that comes through the amp, even clean, so I figure the old adage fits here, "If it isn't broken..."

But I have very little salt or acid in my sweat, so I'm lucky that way.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM

I heard some woman use botox to their sweaty hands, downside is numbness

I also have sweaty hands, after cleaning I rub alcohol (actually Turkish lemon cologne, it has something like %80-90 alcohol in it) in my hands and that really extends the dryness.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Reviews: 21

My RG1570 and RG20th were built close to the same time I believe. The RG20th frets showed signs of wear much faster than the 1570; though honestly I'd say I played the 20th for, say, seven days for every four I've played the 1570. The 1570 to this day isn't showing much signs of wear. I think it might depend on the model or production run.
Oddly enough my RG3EXQM built in '06 shows the least amount of wear and I do play it about as much as the Prestige models.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
I heard some woman use botox to their sweaty hands, downside is numbness
Doesn't seem like a good idea for a musician.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
GAZ

Things that can accelerate fret wear :

Fret buzz
Dirty strings
Old strings - Stainless steel strings wear frets fastest, but on nickel ones once the plating has worn away they're almost as bad as stainless !!
A very heavy handed technique
Corrosion
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
Things that can accelerate fret wear :

Fret buzz
Dirty strings
Old strings - Stainless steel strings wear frets fastest, but on nickel ones once the plating has worn away they're almost as bad as stainless !!
A very heavy handed technique
Corrosion
Agree.

+ the alloy the frets are made of.
But that goes for all the hardware on the guitar.

I think the guitar just had a "bad fret day" when being build.

Tags
different quality , quality control , rg prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode