A Digital Les Paul?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

A Digital Les Paul?!?

http://www.gibsondigital.com/

Have you guys seen this?

So it's a digital guitar and it's supposed to be revolutionary but, besides being digital, what's so special about it? I mean I don't get what makes it so unique from standard axes besides allowing you to send each string signal to a different amp (which sounds pretty useless to me anyway...).

I'm not saying it's not a great idea. Maybe it is but the site certainly doesn't explain it very well.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: A Digital Les Paul?!?

Yeah. It works with Ethernet cables. It has some interesting things like you can edit the effects/volume of each idiviual string. I personally don't think it'll catch on. The market for it is far too one sided. Besides as a jem user I'd loose 80% of the flexibility of my current instrument if i went with one of those. Trust me dude there's nothing special about it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM

This is pretty old technology actually. Fender offered the same thing for a strat option many years ago and it never caught on....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Eddie Van Halen talked about the ability to isolate the individual pots twenty years ago...

I don't understand it myself. Sure you can surround yourself with 6 speakers but keep in mind that most listeners will have only two. Those with 4 or more, say in a car, I doubt that the technology will translate anyway. Besides, what does it really do besides make you dizzy?

Listen to the testimonials. To me, it sounds like people trying to testify about something they don't really understand or like for that matter. Oh boy, it'll open doors. Some doors should remain shut.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
Eddie Van Halen talked about the ability to isolate the individual pots twenty years ago...
Do you mean the individual pole pieces? That's the Ripley stereo guitar, which he used on the intro of Top Jimmy (1984). Each string is alternately panned left and right so notes bounce around as he plays.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 PM

My memory isn't that good. It was twenty years ago.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Reviews: 1

Roland PUs (GK) are mutch better and popular

Tags
eddie van halen , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode