Dilemma - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Dilemma

Hi all,
I have just registered on the Jemsite. I was lurking for a past few weeks and must say you guys know your science.
So, I have been playing for 15 years and then had a long break from the guitar, 8 years, I believe. Started again few weeks ago, and both my self nice a nice Fame guitar and PRS SE One, nothing expensive, just to play around and see if this is just a temporary state of my mind or I want to commit more time for playing.
Anyway, I am really enjoying playing again, and to make things short i want to buy something more serious, like a main axe. RG 1570 is really nice and is an option, for sure. However I saw these new Charvel So Cal's and now I am really surfing reading, watching the reviews etc. for days. Tried them both, without an amp (could not wait so long for the other guys to finish) in the guitar store, and both seemed fine, very comfortable. Perhaps I favor neck on Charvel slighly more, but since I never had a guitar with Floyd or Edge (played on Strats and Tele's mostly), I wanted to check with you guys.

So, to make an already long story short, if you have to choose between RG 1570 and So Cal what would be your choice quality wise? Which one would cover more ground/styles? Have in mind this will be only purchase for the long time (wife told me that flat suddenly looks like a music shop).

If the thread is in the wrong section I apologise sincerely and mod can move it to apprpriate section.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Re: Dilemma

I do like the look and feel of the So Cals but I am leaning more toward the 1570, I believe I read somewhere that the So Cals don't have real OFR's they have a bit cheaper version that look the same.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoro View Post
So, to make an already long story short, if you have to choose between RG 1570 and So Cal what would be your choice quality wise? Which one would cover more ground/styles? Have in mind this will be only purchase for the long time (wife told me that flat suddenly looks like a music shop).
The RG1570 will get more different sounds as-is than the Charvel.

With the RG1570, as-is, you'll get (5) different sounds ranging from fat, humbucker tones and glassy Strat-type tones.

The Charvel, as-is, will get (3) different sounds all based around its humbuckers. However, with a simple, minor mod (e.g. change the volume to a push-pull pot) you could split the humbuckers and get (3) Strat/Tele type tones (in addition to the (3) humbucker tones) which would give you (6) different sounds.

Also, the So-Cal comes stock with a set of very popular Dimarzio pickups (Tone Zone in the bridge and Evolution neck model in the neck) which is added value, assuming you like the sound of them.

I like Charvels and Ibanezes (have 2 of each) but because the Charvel comes with pickups I know I like and it comes with a Floyd Rose (which I like better than any of the Ibanez trems), I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Charvel. Then again, you may be perfectly happy with the available sounds as-is. More sounds isn't inherently better.

All that said, you need to plug them into an amp and see what you think of them.

Bear in mind that since this is an Ibanez board so I'm going to wager that an overwhelming majority of the replies to this thread will say "Get the Ibanez!". Conversely, if you were to pose this question on the Jackson/Charvel forums the respones would favor the Charvel.

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either guitar.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
....I believe I read somewhere that the So Cals don't have real OFR's they have a bit cheaper version that look the same.
...which puts them on par with Ibanez trems.

The reception of the Production Models' Floyd Rose has been mixed because it's not a German-made bridge but Floyd Rose has a Chinese manufacturer make the Pro Mod's bridge to their specs. To be more specific, the bridge on the So-Cal is not licensed like some trems are.

Speaking as someone who owns guitars with German made Floyd Roses, I would have no issues owning a So-Cal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Ibanez trems are far superior to OFR's in my opinon but I do prefer the older Ibz trems over the edge pro.

I do agree that it is sweet that the charvels come with real dimarzios already installed but the So Cals are 99 bucks more so its not like you couldn't get the Ibanez and put the same pups in it for basically the same price as the So-Cal.

I think I like the color options of the so-cals a lot more though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Ibanez trems are far superior to OFR's in my opinon but I do prefer the older Ibz trems over the edge pro.

I do agree that it is sweet that the charvels come with real dimarzios already installed but the So Cals are 99 bucks more so its not like you couldn't get the Ibanez and put the same pups in it for basically the same price as the So-Cal.

I think I like the color options of the so-cals a lot more though.
unfortunately, in Germany 1570 is 850 Euro, and So Cal is 1050 Euro.
Thanks for the opinions so far.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM

A 200 euro difference is even better, aren't dimarzios in germany around 80 euros each. I think if I were you I'd go for the Ibanez
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Bear in mind that if you plan to "abuse" the tremolo, the Charvel is not for you, as there's no cavity for pulls. Other than that I'd get the one that has the looks and feels comfortable (I know this wasn't helpful)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input. The dilemma is resolved and I am now waiting for my first Ibanez to arrive.

Tags
charvel so cal , ibanez rg 1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode