It's my first post on this forum - and it' so stupid one ... but I cant do anything about it - I really have to talk to somebody and listen to someone else' opinions at this time
As you could've guessed, it's time for me to chose which is that one I've been saving up all this time for. It's gonna be my first Ibanez (and Floyd too) instrument, so I want to get a good one, which leads to either/or
My main concerns are as follows:
1) Wood: 3120 has Mahogany/Maple combo vs. Basswood of 1280. I figure 1280 would have less interesting (worse, even ?) tone. Also, I think Mahogany has much better sustain properties as well, or am I wrong ???
2) Pickups: 2-2 of 3120 vs. 2-1-2 of 1280. Looks like the latter would have more choices to fiddle with ... I know - I'll put the switch to neck position and will never move it again
, but nevertheless - what your comments would be ??? Plus, Air Norton - 3120's PAF seems to be not the very pup for neck position, right ?
3) Neck - I got no idea what necks those two models have, except for Wizard profile ??? 1280 is said to be 3 pcs. one - do bubinga and/or binding count ??? How that binding affects playability and feel of the neck ? All RG' I've seen had a joint (glued) head stock piece - is this the case for 3120 an 1280 as well ???
4) Finish: plain 1280 and flamed top on 3120 - this worries me very much. It's not that I don't like flamed (I do like it, actually), but I'm very disappointed by the limited choice between DR and TW - red is red, no matter what, I can't stand it; and blue looks very dark on all pictures I've seen - but how much can one trust those images ??? Five minutes in Photoshop and TW is brighter than DR, even ... Oh, if there would be a choice of Vintage Violin I would prefer it to anything else!.. So here is the direct question http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_gui...om/rg1880.html
- is this picture of Blue Black Sunburst any close to TW of 3120 ???
5) Availability - the only source for a new RG1280 I found so far is Ishibashi's web-shop ... I've read earlier that those guys are reliable - but still, it's bit scary, hard to send back ... and so on, you know.
Anyway, any comments on any of the above will be greatly appreciated. I have not played on either of those two models myself (local stores here don't have anything higher than RG470), so any input is very welcome (especially about 1280, cause that's for sure not the one I will be able to find in stores). Greetings, -Zann