Dilemma: RG3120 or RG1280 ? - Help on features and in genera - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Dilemma: RG3120 or RG1280 ? - Help on features and in genera

Hi folks,

It's my first post on this forum - and it' so stupid one ... but I cant do anything about it - I really have to talk to somebody and listen to someone else' opinions at this time

As you could've guessed, it's time for me to chose which is that one I've been saving up all this time for. It's gonna be my first Ibanez (and Floyd too) instrument, so I want to get a good one, which leads to either/or

http://www.ibanez.com/rg/rg_specs/rg.../rg3120dr.html
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_gui...rx/rg1280.html

My main concerns are as follows:

1) Wood: 3120 has Mahogany/Maple combo vs. Basswood of 1280. I figure 1280 would have less interesting (worse, even ?) tone. Also, I think Mahogany has much better sustain properties as well, or am I wrong ???

2) Pickups: 2-2 of 3120 vs. 2-1-2 of 1280. Looks like the latter would have more choices to fiddle with ... I know - I'll put the switch to neck position and will never move it again , but nevertheless - what your comments would be ??? Plus, Air Norton - 3120's PAF seems to be not the very pup for neck position, right ?

3) Neck - I got no idea what necks those two models have, except for Wizard profile ??? 1280 is said to be 3 pcs. one - do bubinga and/or binding count ??? How that binding affects playability and feel of the neck ? All RG' I've seen had a joint (glued) head stock piece - is this the case for 3120 an 1280 as well ???

4) Finish: plain 1280 and flamed top on 3120 - this worries me very much. It's not that I don't like flamed (I do like it, actually), but I'm very disappointed by the limited choice between DR and TW - red is red, no matter what, I can't stand it; and blue looks very dark on all pictures I've seen - but how much can one trust those images ??? Five minutes in Photoshop and TW is brighter than DR, even ... Oh, if there would be a choice of Vintage Violin I would prefer it to anything else!.. So here is the direct question http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_gui...om/rg1880.html - is this picture of Blue Black Sunburst any close to TW of 3120 ???

5) Availability - the only source for a new RG1280 I found so far is Ishibashi's web-shop ... I've read earlier that those guys are reliable - but still, it's bit scary, hard to send back ... and so on, you know.

Anyway, any comments on any of the above will be greatly appreciated. I have not played on either of those two models myself (local stores here don't have anything higher than RG470), so any input is very welcome (especially about 1280, cause that's for sure not the one I will be able to find in stores). Greetings, -Zann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Dilemma: RG3120 or RG1280 ?

I think the tone of woods is a very subjective thing, sure there are definately differences between the woods of these two guitars, but whether one sounds better than the other or the just sound different iskinda up to you. It's a very personal thing. Tom Anderson's site has an interesting bit about wood and tone here.

Personally I love the PAF Pro as a neck position humbucker, others here really don't and switch them out almost instantly. Also some folks (not me though) find a middle pickup really gets in the way of the picking. The other thing is that if you get a 3120 you can later get a luthier to add a middle pickup if you want to. It's a lot harder to remove a middle pickup without leaving a big hole

With the necks, I don't believe that the 3 piece neck will really affect playability. It might help sustain as 3 piece necks are usually more rigid than single piece necks. I don't think these guitars will have a scarf jointed headstock (the glued on bit) the prestige Ibanez guitars I've seen all have a volute (a bulge at the headstock fro strength), it doesn't seem to alter playability for me. The binding on the neck makes the fret ends seem smoother but over time a non bound neck to me usually feels better than a bound neck as your hands tend to smooth off the wood between the frets leading to a VERY playable feel.

Finish wise there is another solution. The 3120 is available in Europe with a Vintage Violin finish. If you like I can supply you with details of major dealers over here that should be able to get you one in that finish. It will obviously cost more that buying a guitar in the USA and in light of the recent events, may take a while to get to you.

Availability is always gonna be an issue on high end guitars. I think someone here (Ashlock?) got a JS1000 in BTB from Ishibashi that was damaged so has some experience with their returns policy.

Either way, have fun with the decision and good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

the ideal axe for me (at that price range) would be the 3120 in 2-1-2 pickup config, in VV.

In addition to what Jono said, you can read about these necks in the GUITARS area of jemsite. They're all good in short and the binding is strictly cosmetic.

The Blue Black Sunburst color is very different from the blue 3120. You haven't mention price being a problem but if that is a factor your decision might be easier when you final costs shipped to your door. Good luck... glen
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, guys, for the input, that helped a lot! I'm going for 3120 ... but would much prefer European VV finish to US' TW ...

Jono, could you please help me out finding dealers who carry international mail orders ??? I would also appreciate if you could point out those, who is especially delicate in paying attention to quality issues of what they ship. Price matters, as always, but I'd prefer to pay some extra being sure to get quality stuff. The worst thing would be to open the box and find it scratched all over ... you know what I mean. Thanks again, -Zann
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Zann - I've mailed you the details

Hope it helps

Tags
air norton , ibanez guitars , neck position , paf pro , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode