Dillion Guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Dillion Guitars

Anybody tried any of those especially one of their PRS copies?

http://www.dillionguitars.com/

Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi; 07-24-2006 at 05:28 AM. Reason: can't spell :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM

Re: Dillob Guitars

That hollow-body PRS copy looks very nice indeed. I'd love to try one.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM

Some cool guitars in there
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Some places used to carry them here in Toronto a while back(dunno if they still do). They ain't bad for the money since they sell for about $300, but an RG321 or RG350 played a whole lot better for the money.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Nice looking guitars.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

They do look quite nice and could be a good guitar to mod. I was thinking getting one adding some locking tuners, new trem and some decent pickups .

Regards

André

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 AM

That sounds like a very interesting project, I'd love to see how that would work out.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Yea I used to have one. I had one of the PRS copys that still had the PRS headstock, the new ones are changed a little bit to not look so close to a PRS.....the one I had was called a DR 500A ("A" For Acrylic, it was clear transparent see through) It was heavy as crap at about 18-20 lbs, but it sounded and played AWESOME, had great sustain and you could do some awesome harmomics on it......great action..... I kinda wish I hadn't sold it now, it was the 1st year they made the Acrylic series, and there was only 8 of them made in the 1st year......and I had #8......the back of the neck was stamped #8 of 8. It had a transparent headstock, thing looked killer. When I was playing it you couldn't even see the guitar, looked like I was just holding a neck almost......it was pretty cool. The only reason I sold it was b/c it was just too heavy. I've played some of their other guitars, theres a Dillion dealer here in Chattanooga, the fit and finish on them is very nice, no complaints on that at all. Kinda got cheap pickups tho, thats about the only thing I would replace......and MAYBE tuners, but to be honest mine never went out of tune, but some of the newer ones I've seen look like they might have cheaper tuners that are subceptable to going out of tune, but thats just a speculation. Very nice guitars for the money.....and some of them have KILLER inlays down the neck too!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Hey Fettouhi,
Man, am I the right guy to answer this question! I bought a Dillion DR1500QT (QT = Quilt top with tremelo) about 5 months ago with the same intentions as you -- just a fun PRS-style project to replace pickups and hardware for a workhorse guitar.

I did a fair amount of research on all the various PRS knockoffs that are around. I checked out 8-10 different companies, and eventually decided on either a Dillion or a Tokai. The Agiles and a few others get a lot of bad to mediocre reviews and seem to have some quality control issues. There's lots of speculation on the web that a number of these brands are all built in the same factories, and I wouldn't doubt it. The DR1500 is a step up from the DR500 and rumor has it that the quality is considerably better. BUT -- part of the upgrade is for the better hardware and pickups, so if you're swapping them all out, maybe it's not worth the extra loot.

Anyway, I have been very pleased with the guitar overall. It's very solidly built and the neck feels great. There were some minor finish flaws, particularly some paint ripples in one spot on the lower horn. Nothing drastic. I also had chronic tuning problems despite lots of string stretching, setup work, and use of Big Bend Nut Sauce (magic stuff) on the nut and trem. I actually wasn't too concerned about that, because, like you, the plan all along was to swap out the trem and tuners. Ah, but there's the rub -- what to swap it with? Unfortunately, the stud spacing is very non-standard. After a lot of research, the only trem I came up with that would swap is a Mighty Mite "Full Action II" trem (MM1116). Who knows if that's actually an "upgrade" -- I have no prior experience with Mighty Mite parts. When I removed the stock trem, I discovered the probable source of the tuning problem: one of the knife edges had a big gouge -- not something that could be easily filed out. It seems to just be cheap metal. The MM trem is now on the guitar, but I'm waiting on a set of Planet Waves tuners to string it all up. I also checked all the locking tuner specs to determine what would fit (Grover, Sperzel, or PW) and concluded the PW would be closest. By the way, if you go with the DR500, be aware that some (or all) of the trems on those were routed into the top of the guitar which could make a swap even trickier.

I'm also putting in a Tone Zone and PAF Pro. I'll post again after I finish up this work -- should be in a week or so. But in summary, I'm glad I got this Dillion -- it fills a niche in my guitar lineup (24 fret, mahogany PRS style), and it's been a fun project so far.

Cheers,
Bert
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
Hey Fettouhi,
Man, am I the right guy to answer this question! I bought a Dillion DR1500QT (QT = Quilt top with tremelo) about 5 months ago with the same intentions as you -- just a fun PRS-style project to replace pickups and hardware for a workhorse guitar.

I did a fair amount of research on all the various PRS knockoffs that are around. I checked out 8-10 different companies, and eventually decided on either a Dillion or a Tokai. The Agiles and a few others get a lot of bad to mediocre reviews and seem to have some quality control issues. There's lots of speculation on the web that a number of these brands are all built in the same factories, and I wouldn't doubt it. The DR1500 is a step up from the DR500 and rumor has it that the quality is considerably better. BUT -- part of the upgrade is for the better hardware and pickups, so if you're swapping them all out, maybe it's not worth the extra loot.

Anyway, I have been very pleased with the guitar overall. It's very solidly built and the neck feels great. There were some minor finish flaws, particularly some paint ripples in one spot on the lower horn. Nothing drastic. I also had chronic tuning problems despite lots of string stretching, setup work, and use of Big Bend Nut Sauce (magic stuff) on the nut and trem. I actually wasn't too concerned about that, because, like you, the plan all along was to swap out the trem and tuners. Ah, but there's the rub -- what to swap it with? Unfortunately, the stud spacing is very non-standard. After a lot of research, the only trem I came up with that would swap is a Mighty Mite "Full Action II" trem (MM1116). Who knows if that's actually an "upgrade" -- I have no prior experience with Mighty Mite parts. When I removed the stock trem, I discovered the probable source of the tuning problem: one of the knife edges had a big gouge -- not something that could be easily filed out. It seems to just be cheap metal. The MM trem is now on the guitar, but I'm waiting on a set of Planet Waves tuners to string it all up. I also checked all the locking tuner specs to determine what would fit (Grover, Sperzel, or PW) and concluded the PW would be closest. By the way, if you go with the DR500, be aware that some (or all) of the trems on those were routed into the top of the guitar which could make a swap even trickier.

I'm also putting in a Tone Zone and PAF Pro. I'll post again after I finish up this work -- should be in a week or so. But in summary, I'm glad I got this Dillion -- it fills a niche in my guitar lineup (24 fret, mahogany PRS style), and it's been a fun project so far.

Cheers,
Bert

Thanks for the review Bert. Is was afraid that stud spacing might be non-standard . I was hoping to put in a Gotoh 1055 trem in and then some Schaller locking tuners .

Regards

André

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 AM

I'd like to see some pics of Berts Dillion
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
I'd like to see some pics of Berts Dillion
+1

Regards

André

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 AM

OK -- the tuners should be in today or tomorrow. Then I need to drop the pups in. I'll try to take some pics as soon as that stuff is done.
Later,
Bert
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
OK -- the tuners should be in today or tomorrow. Then I need to drop the pups in. I'll try to take some pics as soon as that stuff is done.
Later,
Bert
Hey Bert is the trem recessed or flush mounted on the DR1500QT?

Regards

André

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Re: Dillion Guitars

We exchanged PM's about this, but just so that it's in the public record -- no, it's not recessed.

When I was checking these out, I saw an auction for a DR500 with an end-on image of the trem clearly showing that it was recessed (still have that image if you want to see it). But it seems like on these import guitars, they switch hardware around pretty frequently, probably depending on whatever they can get in quantity cheaply. Plus it's rare to get pics of the actual guitar you're buying, unless it's in an auction, so it's best to ask lots of questions.

Bert

Tags
dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , fret markers , locking tuners , paf pro , planet waves , pro pickups , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , string stretching , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode