DiMarzio - Air Norton and Steve's Special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio - Air Norton and Steve's Special

Greets all-

Just curious how you think an Air Norton in the neck and a Steve's Special in the bridge would sound in a maple top mahoghany guitar (The RG3120). *I don't know if you know but that's John Petrucci's set up on his JPMs (On his JPMM I believe he has two specially wound Steve Specials). *Thanks for the replies I'm eager to see what is said.

Brandon

(Edited by Delinos at 6:17 pm on Dec. 18, 2000)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 02:07 PM

DiMarzio

I say go for it dude. *I can't see why there would be any issues. *Maybe the Norton would be little too warm already for the mahogony, but then again, maybe not. *Try it out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:11 PM

DiMarzio

Try it out. *

Someone had mentioned to me that a *Fred and a PAF Pro wouldn't sound good in a Mohogany body, but I have never heard a cleaner and resonant sound in any guitar I've own.

My point - It's ice cream man, lots of different flavors, which one you like is up to you.

(Edited by kirk at 11:12 pm on Dec. 18, 2000)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:53 PM

DiMarzio

I am thinking of swapping the PAF Pro in my RG3120 so if you do change lets us know how you get on!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:46 AM

DiMarzio

BTW Petrucci uses on his Ibanez' Air Norton neck and Tone Zone bridge pups... I just wanted to inform ya! :biggrin:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

DiMarzio

Alienx-

Just to tell you on all his JPMs but the P1 he has an Air Norton in the neck and a Steves Special in the Bridge. *On the P1 he has a Norton Lite in the Neck and a Steves Special in the bridge. *You can read all about it at www.dreamtheater.net on the messageboard and there is also a JPM site somewhere. *Well thanks all for the replies! *Can't wait to buy my new axe and try it.

Brandon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:31 PM

DiMarzio

Even though he's supposedly not endorsing Ibanez anymore, he's endorsing Ernie Ball and has a signature model coming out.

You can see it here: http://www.johnpetrucci.com/guitars.htm

I'm not sure if that's a really old picture, but it doesn't look like it. He seems to keep his site fairly updated.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:53 PM

DiMarzio

Hey Jeffrey,

That info is pretty fresh. Somebody I know has seen John Petrucci a couple of weeks ago at a UK concert playing his Music Man prototype. I'm realy curious about what wood and pups his new axe has.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:37 PM

DiMarzio

Yeah, there's an EB dealer here I keep pumping for info, but so far he's got nothing. I'm really curious to play one, I hear stock it will have a piezo bridge with a new-designed trem and locking tuners.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio

Greets all-

Yea I have been keeping up on the MM man as well... I was considering waiting and purchasing it but I changed my mind. *I'm going for the RG3120 now though. *I'm not sure what wood it is but it's probably basswood and I think it has two specially wound Steves Specials in it. *Or so I have heard.. I was emailing Ernie Ball back and forth and I think if you want it you may be able to order it by February at the earliest. *It shouldn't be in stores until late Spring or early Summer. Well I know they will be showing it at the NAMM conference(Whatever that is... ?). *Well that's all I know.

Brandon
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:53 AM

DiMarzio

So far to my knowledge he hasn't announced the PU's for the EBMM model. *His prototype has a fishman piezo bridge. *If you look back in the old forum and search for this guitar I posted some info on it a while back, that may have had his proto pickup configuration but I can't remember.

EBMM are scheduled to show the model for the first time at the winter NAMM show (www.namm.com).

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , bridge pup , ernie ball , john petrucci , locking tuners , norton neck , paf pro , piezo bridge , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode