Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: East coast USA
Posts: 56
Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

I've always been hesitant towards these even though I have 3 they mostly sit in the closet. Anyone have any ideas to put padding on the plastic buckles that bang on the guitar?
american21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,368
Reviews: 21
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Saran wrap and rubber bands maybe?
I never worried but all mine are players and I don't mind the digs. I've been using clip locks for decades and never had a problem with them harming the finish on a guitar.
Now dropping a screw driver or a heavy allen key on a guitar.... that sucks!
mike570 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: East coast USA
Posts: 56
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

i have a jackson that was like new when i got it been in the closet 10 years. a year of the cliplock on there just hanging on the wall scratches everywhere on both sides. i just got a very sweet old rg550 it looks 5 years old not 25 im very nervous about using them
american21 is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:30 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC, New York
Posts: 391
Reviews: 2
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Honestly guys, I don't think it scratches because I have it on two of my guitars and when I put them in HSC I check for buckle rash and I've never noticed any. I mean I think normal use doesn't rash but Steve via flips and spins around might, idk

I put them on my $3000 EBMM cuz I'd rather risk buckle rash than dropping it on the body and denting or worse breaking the neck
WYLD STALLYNS is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

you could spray them with Dip It..(or the home depot equivalent) its like a spray on rubber that can be peeled off whenever you want. I've used on my car, and to change the color of amp plates..

thats all i got : )
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 780
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

I have used clip locks on all my guitars for as long as I can remember and have never really noticed any scratches (but have, to be honest, never really looked for it either).

My suggestion are to use other straps.

Guitars are tools, signs of use are just... Well... Signs of use. Don't care about it.
When selling "looks like new but are 25 years old" only says one thing, the guitar isent good enough to be played.

/Magnus
Ibanez-Mag is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Guitars are tools, signs of use are just... Well... Signs of use. Don't care about it.
When selling "looks like new but are 25 years old" only says one thing, the guitar isent good enough to be played.

/Magnus
Totally agree.
I love a pretty guitar, shiny, scratch free.....and I love my beat up, twenty five year old guitar too.
But; I know when I play them they are going to get scratched and dinged, just like a new car. Can't be helped.
Unless you 'park' it in a garage and wipe off the dust with a diaper every day, and never drive it........
If the locking straps (had to look up what that was) make you feel safer, don't worry about any potential scratches.
I find the strap buttons on my guitars hold just fine with a leather ended strap. The ones on Jeff's Strat: not so much. Smaller, easier to slip on and off.
If your buttons are small, perhaps get bigger ones for it, if you don't want to risk scratching it with the locking strap.
Meechy is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,020
Reviews: 1
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
I have used clip locks on all my guitars for as long as I can remember and have never really noticed any scratches (but have, to be honest, never really looked for it either).

My suggestion are to use other straps.

Guitars are tools, signs of use are just... Well... Signs of use. Don't care about it.
When selling "looks like new but are 25 years old" only says one thing, the guitar isent good enough to be played.

/Magnus
I agree wholeheartedly that I've never noticed scratches from the clip locks, I am careful about how I place my guitars in their cases to minimise the chances of any scratches happening.

That said, a guitar is only a tool if that is how you choose to use it. To others it can be an investment, a keepsake, a collectible or a childhood memory given form. If someone chooses to take all precautions to preserve the look of a guitar to enjoy in that form at a later date, more power to them...
jono is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 780
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that I've never noticed scratches from the clip locks, I am careful about how I place my guitars in their cases to minimise the chances of any scratches happening.

That said, a guitar is only a tool if that is how you choose to use it. To others it can be an investment, a keepsake, a collectible or a childhood memory given form. If someone chooses to take all precautions to preserve the look of a guitar to enjoy in that form at a later date, more power to them...
You are right, it is what you want it to be.
For me is it a tool ment to be used, and that is the only thing it is, but you are right that it might not be like that for everyone and I respect that.
Sorry if I sounded judging.

/Magnus
Ibanez-Mag is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Royal Oak MI
Posts: 414
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

I once put a piece of velcro (soft side) on the plastic side that made contact with the body.
dgbaker33 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

what is the attraction to the clip lok strap? Just curious.
PBGas is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 780
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
what is the attraction to the clip lok strap? Just curious.
It is the safest strap lock on the market.
(And also very comfy straps).

/Magnus
Ibanez-Mag is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
It is the safest strap lock on the market.
???
Based on what? The plastic snaps seem no safer to me than any other design.

If you're concerned about having the straps rubbing on the guitar and damaging the finish, you could consider a different style of strap locks like Dunlop or Gotoh. The nice thing about those is that they function like regular strap buttons, so if you play the guitar sitting you don't have the clip lock ends swinging around.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 780
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
???
Based on what? The plastic snaps seem no safer to me than any other design.

If you're concerned about having the straps rubbing on the guitar and damaging the finish, you could consider a different style of strap locks like Dunlop or Gotoh. The nice thing about those is that they function like regular strap buttons, so if you play the guitar sitting you don't have the clip lock ends swinging around.
Based on testing it myself, a lot.
The plastic snaps are very strong.
If you use a bit longer screws (the black ones that comes with it these days) will you never drop your guitar with those.

The normal strap locks I have tried either unscrew them selfs or are a weak constructions.

Strap locks also gives you the benefit of having only one belt pack live and still change guitar fast and safe. A massive bonus.

/Magnus
Ibanez-Mag is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Dimarzio cliplok cause scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
The normal strap locks I have tried either unscrew them selfs or are a weak constructions.

Strap locks also gives you the benefit of having only one belt pack live and still change guitar fast and safe. A massive bonus.

/Magnus
I have had the Gotoh ones loosen up, particularly the pin up on the horn, but that can be solved with a tiny dab of glue on the screw. I've never had a Dunlop one loosen. They have much longer screws, which is probably why.

I do agree, whatever strap lock you choose, you should stick with one design. Using the same strap for multiple guitars is a huge bonus.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
Reply

Tags
strap locks straps

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: any DiMarzio pickups and Cliplok straps: any color kshands Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 10 02-09-2009 09:24 PM
WTB Dimarzio ClipLok Strap - the OLD style Max Dread Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 08-05-2008 12:10 PM
DiMarzio Cliplok Straps quiksilverdew Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 16 05-06-2008 07:56 AM
Where to get shorter Dimarzio ClipLok? waylay00 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 6 01-24-2008 08:03 PM
wtb: dimarzio cliplok 2-inch newbieguitarmaker Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 09-21-2006 03:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome