Dimarzio IBZ pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By mike570
  • 1 Post By jim777
  • 1 Post By Shredder87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio IBZ pickups

I just got these pickups on ebay (used). I installed them on my Ibanez RG350ZB-WK. They are dimarzio pickups. that means they have quality. but they're on cheaper guitars, not like the ones found on the $2000 signature guitars. I think they sound really good. it's just that when you put them side by side the pickups of vai and satriani, they fall short. But they can still kick butt. I think they will hold their own in a showdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Dimarzio IBZ pickups

I like them. I took a pair out of an RG921 and I'm considering putting them in another guitar.
marloni likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:27 PM

There's nothing wrong with them, they're just different.
mike570 likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 PM

They're slightly brighter sounding than most other Dimarzios, very good note separation and articulation, almost flat response. The humbuckers coil split very nicely too.
A Boss GE-7 will make 'em sound like any pickup you want and boost the signal to kick the amps face in if required.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

I bought them coz I know a famous guitars named Manuel Legarda used em' on his Ibanez RG770dx. It sounds like it but I thought it would have more output. It still sounds beefy but it's not the common 'great' sounding humbucker. It has it's own place in the tone spectrum.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:34 AM

I had a set of IBZs on an RG1570 and upgraded it to Evolutions. Through an driven tone there is not a huge amount in it between the sounds. Both are good pickups with a great warm mid-range, but the Evolution seems to pick out harmonics a little easier. I got the Evolutions from a friend, but wouldn't say there was enough difference to justify paying for them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
They're slightly brighter sounding than most other Dimarzios, very good note separation and articulation, almost flat response. The humbuckers coil split very nicely too.
A Boss GE-7 will make 'em sound like any pickup you want and boost the signal to kick the amps face in if required.
I found them to be opposite, warmer than other DiMarzio pickups I have (Fred+Paf Pro combo and Crunch Lab+Liquifire combo). They are decent sounding, but found them a bit too muddy. Especially the neck pickup. Too hot and muddy for my test.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=karlic;1521185]I had a set of IBZs on an RG1570 and upgraded it to Evolutions. Through an driven tone there is not a huge amount in it between the sounds. Both are good pickups with a great warm mid-range, but the Evolution seems to pick out harmonics a little easier. I got the Evolutions from a friend, but wouldn't say there was enough difference to justify paying for them.[/QUO

I found them kinda lifeless in the harmonics, just like you say, in an RG3120FANT I used to own. Just dull and uninspiring. I couldn't change them quick enough. Put a pair of evo's in that guitar and it WAS worth every penny.

Last edited by JemSLO; 05-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I noticed the ibz can sound a bit thin because of your pick attack. i'm not sure if it's real or maybe my ears aren't hearing it right. But overall, I like the sound. It sounds thundering. even if it's not like a dimarzio evolution or tone zone.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 AM

Over the years there's not been a lot of love for the IBZs here. Glad to see there are some folk giving them love. I actually think they are decent sounding pickups. I have them as standard in my '05 RG2550. My one criticism of that guitar is it sounds a bit dark, however that's the basswood and my preference for harder and brighter body materials these days to my ears. The pickups are good IMO. The neck especially is nice, as I'm not usually a fan of neck pickups, however it's a lot sharper and hotter than most neck PUs, so I like it a lot.

I also like the INFs in my S1 25th. I'm not exactly a tonehound but to my ears they are just fine!

For what its worth I've never swapped any pickups in a guitar. If I don't like the sound I don't buy it, end of... but then I've never tuned a car engine either. Again, if it's not fast enough, I don't buy it...

'87
mike570 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 21

I like them as they still sound like Dimarzios but have their own quality. If I hadn't gone mental for the 36th Anniversaries they'd still be in my RG921.
36th's sound damn nice though!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I notice there are various kinds of IBZ pickups. like F3, C2, C1 etc. Are these all different from each other?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode